Schefter: Multiple teams contacted Bears about Jordan Howard

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I don't think any team would be in desperation mode to give up a 5th round pick for a legit north/south RB like J.Howard. Lets not act like Howard isn't a good RB.

I expect a desperate team, which only happens in season, would give you more for him.

The issue is that while Howard is productive his skill set is easily found. As Josh Norris from Rotoworld said “there are Jordan Howard’s in every draft”. Now trading for him takes out the risk of missing on the guy in the draft.

I expect the Bears may get higher than a 5th, but we will have to see how free agency goes and who misses on other guys.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Calling people truthers suggest Howard is a complete fallacy, like flat earth truthers. Is Howard an elite talent...no, but FFS since he entered the league he is 3rd in rushing With only Elliot, Gurley and him over 3000 yrds, and of the 18 RB's over 2000 yrds during that time he is 9th in YPA. You are acting like he is Harvey Unga or something

Flat earth is real though

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Him being elite is a fallacy. Saying he is untradeable is a fallacy.

He is very good at what he does, but many Bears fans overstate even that and the value of the positon he plays.

He is productive, but has only been so in bad offenses. The only time we have seen his skips and limitations in a non-bad offense is last season when it was not that good. Maybe his limitations hurt an offense and we never noticed because the offenses were so bad anyway.

This.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

He is very good at what he does, but many Bears fans overstate even that and the value of the positon he plays.

He is productive, but has only been so in bad offenses. The only time we have seen his skips and limitations in a non-bad offense is last season when it was not that good. Maybe his limitations hurt an offense and we never noticed because the offenses were so bad anyway.

So it's now bad that he could get yards when everyone across the line knew he was getting the rock? Got it. Look, I know he doesn't fit that well here anymore but give him decent zone blocking and he's very productive, can block and be an outlet.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Mass shootings are false flags.

So it's now bad that he could get yards when everyone across the line knew he was getting the rock? Got it. Look, I know he doesn't fit that well here anymore but give him decent zone blocking and he's very productive, can block and be an outlet.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
He's a poor man's Harvey Unga or Jeremy Langford 2.0, don't ya know?

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
He's a poor man's Harvey Unga or Jeremy Langford 2.0, don't ya know?

Don’t you know whenever a player is out the door you must trash them true story

I would keep him just based on our situation. I get he isn’t the perfect fit that’s cool if they can find someone that it but I’m not going to trash how solid he’s been for us. Getting a 5th for him would be worthless to me. I’m keeping him until we find that guy they believe can open up the offense

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Hugs wont prevent the truth. Vaccines are evil, the earth is flat and something else

Planet earth is a space station, this space station along with countless of others are trapped inside of a alien's snow globe...go figure.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Howard has also declined every year in the league. And he’s a bad scheme fit and a very throw back type of back. He needs a traditional heavy run attack and that type of runner doesn’t have the same value these days. I’d take a 5th for him as my bottom line. I would throw in a 6th/7th round pick if it could net a 3rd/4th.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Howard truthers? Dude you have gone off the deep end.

Easy. Nagy misused him and singlehandedly destroyed his value. In hindsight Pace probably should have traded him last year if Nagy had no intent to use him properly. Especially if someone did in fact offer a 3rd rounder.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Howard has also declined every year in the league. And he’s a bad scheme fit and a very throw back type of back. He needs a traditional heavy run attack and that type of runner doesn’t have the same value these days. I’d take a 5th for him as my bottom line. I would throw in a 6th/7th round pick if it could net a 3rd/4th.

His second year he faced about twice as many 8 man fronts. So did he decline or was the D keyed in on him because of a rookie QB and shit WRs?

jive

Liked Posts:
Jordan Howard at 2 mil for a year is a bargain. Even if he's not a perfect fit, he could provide depth in case of injury. He can be a short yardage back, or an end of game grinder. He has proven over 3 seasons that he could be productive in the NFL. I wouldn't trade him for anything less than a 3rd rounder. When he leaves in 2020, he could provide a compensatory pick for us. We can have his services for one more season, and still get a draft pick out of it. It wouldn't make sense to take a 6th rounder or less for him because we could get at least a 5th for him as a compensatory pick.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Jordan Howard at 2 mil for a year is a bargain. Even if he's not a perfect fit, he could provide depth in case of injury. He can be a short yardage back, or an end of game grinder. He has proven over 3 seasons that he could be productive in the NFL. I wouldn't trade him for anything less than a 3rd rounder. When he leaves in 2020, he could provide a compensatory pick for us. We can have his services for one more season, and still get a draft pick out of it. It wouldn't make sense to take a 6th rounder or less for him because we could get at least a 5th for him as a compensatory pick.

What makes you think the Bears could at least get a 5th?

According to this:
https://overthecap.com/2019-compensatory-draft-picks-update-5-8-2018/

Howard would have to sign a deal worth at least $6mil/year on his next deal for the Bears to get a fifth. He's not going to come close to that.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Easy. Nagy misused him and singlehandedly destroyed his value. In hindsight Pace probably should have traded him last year if Nagy had no intent to use him properly. Especiallh if someone did in fact offer a 3rd rounder.

This I can actually get behind.

They should have given themselves more insurance than Benny Cunningham and dealt him during the season in hindsight.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Jordan Howard is like having a good wing in basketball who cannot shoot 3s.

It is nice to have them for defense and some fast breaks, but they do not fit and may even hinder what you want to do on offense. Despite being able to score in their way.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
AB just fetched a 3rd and a 5th lol. I know the Steelers pretty much had a gun to their head, but does this have any impact on Howards market value? Really doubtful Pace can flip Howard for a 3rd, imo.