Smith to Ravens

JeffChrist

Liked Posts:
It sucks to lose such an obviously talented player, but I don’t think they were going to be able to sign him without a massive overpay at a non premium position. At least we got something back while we could, and we don’t have to deal with the Saint Omni thing again next offseason.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
More productive than the three DEs who are remaining on the team? Yes.

You are going with the big stat for defensive linemen, the sack. That is a major disservice to the position. Consider Quinn sack production last year. It was a career year for Quinn. Consider that his career year in sacks was around one sack per game.

Are you going to tell me that a DE who is effective once per game is doing a good job?

I would hope not. What made his 2021 a good year was the career year in sacks, good production as a rush defender, QB hits, QB hurries, QB knockdowns, pass breakups and turnovers.

Have you ever heard that a QB hurry is almost as good as a sack?

The reason for this is both help the DBs who are covering WRs, TEs and RBs to not have to cover them forever. Given enough time, no CB can cover even backup WRs because they will eventually be open.
I asked you a very simple question and you didn't answer it.

You're wrong. The end.

pablovi

Liked Posts:
You get that Ryan Poles was not part of all those Bears picks prior to this last draft, where he has added 3 primary starters, a rotational pass rusher, and a top 12 punter all without a first round pick and only 5 picks heading into the draft, aren't you? And what exactly has he lost, a DE that wasn't going to be on the team next season regardless and a very good, not great, ILB that was either gone or disgruntled playing on the franchise tag?
Which 3 primary starters? Which rotational pass rusher? I don’t care about what he lost. I care about how hes going to get that level of talent. And how long will it take.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
You must not watch the games then. I don't know what to tell you. But when teams average 156 yards a game rushing on you and your offense can't score you might look decent statistically but they have been consistently bad for most of the season. 31st rushing defense, 31st 3rd down defense.
I watch every play, and lots of other games as well. I think you'll have to explain how a team in the top half in points, yards, and turnovers, and with a statistically bad offense, could be in the bottom 5 overall. I feel like total yards and points count alot more than third down percentage and rushing yards.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I have @pablovi muted. Is that bald headed drunk idiot mad that they traded Quan after spending 5 years calling him overrated every single time the opposing offense gets a first down? Someone lmk thanks.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Great trade. Let me remind our CCS brothers that we won zero playoff games with Smith. Zero games with Quinn. Zero games with Mack.

Also, we won ZERO Super Bowls with Urlacher and Briggs.

Would have been nice to not have to revamp the d line and LB core, but offense is the key to winning. Eberflus going to have to start making doughnuts.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
The Bears have over double the cap space of the #2 team.

Would franchise tagging him or giving him $20 mil per year really have been that hard?

Isn’t it harder to find a suitable replacement?

napo55

Liked Posts:
So you enter into a conversation late, are 100% wrong in casting an aspersion on me because you failed to read through the conversation, and then can't accept being called on it.

Anything else to say?
Not worth it. But I will say you excell at insulting people.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
The Bears have over double the cap space of the #2 team.

Would franchise tagging him or giving him $20 mil per year really have been that hard?

Isn’t it harder to find a suitable replacement?
If you don’t feel the guy is worth the money he’s asking, you don’t pay it, regardless if you have the money to spend. You turn it into draft capital. The Bears made their evaluation of Roquan this is the path they took. I think it was a wise move but obviously time will tell.

CAP BOSO

Liked Posts:
So, 125 million between all those holes, it doesn’t add up to very good players. And picks, like 20% or less really turn out to be good for the Bears.
If you're expecting all holes to be filled in one offseason you are going to be disappointed. This is a 3 year rebuild.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Not worth it. But I will say you excell at insulting people.
You insulted me in this thread, if anything, and you didn't even bother to read enough to be accurate about your insult. Very hypocritical, and can't admit you were wrong to castigate me. I asked you to read better, which was 100% accurate.

All I can figure is you are still bent out of shape over James Washington. That was four or five years ago. Or maybe you think I called you an idiot for not wanting Smith traded? Again, read it carefully, that's not what wrote. I haven't made on comment on trading him vs not and that's because it's a tough call and one based on things that we can't really know.

Last edited:

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
they also have a more important player to sign right now and thats lamar jackson. i can see roquan hitting free agency next season anyway
Poles playing 5d chess getting picks for his soon to be #1 FA target

CAP BOSO

Liked Posts:
Most posters here don't seem to understand the uncertainty of the draft. They seem to assume that all the draft choices will succeed. So when you trade a good player for a draft choice, you are already going against the odds.
I also don't understand the love for Poles. He's done a good job of deconstructing the team and there is zero evidence that he knows how to construct one.
Correct, but when a LB will want 20 million a year and he's not the difference between a playoff team and a bottom of the barrel team you move on. By the time this team is ready to compete he'd be on his way out the door.

pablovi

Liked Posts:
If you're expecting all holes to be filled in one offseason you are going to be disappointed. This is a 3 year rebuild.
That’s what I said, and it’s my point. That this is going to be a long rebuild at least 3 years.

napo55

Liked Posts:
You insulted me in this thread, if anything, and you didn't even bother to read enough to be accurate about your insult. Very hypocritical, and can't admit you were wrong to castigate me. I asked you to read better, which was 100% accurate.

All I can figure is you are still bent out of shape over James Washington. That was four or five years ago.
Well, that's worth a chuckle. I admitted I was wrong on Washington (but right on Jonathan Taylor). When was the last time you admitted you were wrong?

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bears could always resign him in the off season AND come away with 2 picks. Hmmm.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Funny fanbase. Cant overspend for a WR, TE or OL to help a struggling young QB who needs help. But you can definitely overspend on an off-ball LB, because as we all know that has really gotten the Bears over the hump since 2003.