Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Imo the best part of this is, he had 2 guys coming at him, in his face and he stood firm to make the throw. He's thinking. (my words, not his...obviously....but) Damn it, if I get hit or not, I'm making this completion!
Thing that stands out to me is that he throws a very catchable ball where only his guy can go get it when doubled, using the sideline to his advantage. That vision/placement and touch under pressure is special. Most QBs would have put more pace on that (harder catch or throw away) and it would have still been considered a good play.

DefNextYear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think they're 'OK' but there's definitely projection in that. If Odunze didn't fall, I'd have gone Murphy (preferably with a small move down) for a reason. I think it's a year early but fingers crossed on Booker.
Yea, I just think it's being taken for granted that we were a top 5 defense at the end of the year. I think we'll not match that. But, I'd love to be wrong. A good offense can give the defense more time to breathe... can put pressure on the opposing offense to become one-dimensional. Those kinds of things can even improve the defense. We'll have to wait and see.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yea, I just think it's being taken for granted that we were a top 5 defense at the end of the year. I think we'll not match that. But, I'd love to be wrong. A good offense can give the defense more time to breathe... can put pressure on the opposing offense to become one-dimensional. Those kinds of things can even improve the defense. We'll have to wait and see.
Potential is there and the 2ndary will probably make the rush look better. Works both ways but I prefer the rush to dictate the D.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Kollman discusses a problem I was talking about here: how does a team stop the Bears with single high?

I seriously don’t know how a team doesn’t use two deep safeties once 3 WR look gets shown by the bears. It would be interesting to see them line up DJ Moore in the backfield and then motion him to the line.
Wouldn't be the first time DJ has lined up in the backfield.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I think it should be pretty obvious that we need pass rush help from opposite Sweat and probably from the inside as well. As i've been saying, the most sacks Sweat has had up until last year was 9 and that was on a pretty stacked DL in Wash so he definitely need help and hopefully Dexter takes a very noticeable step forward in his game especially his pass rush and we can get something from Pickens who was a ghost. Then of course hopefully A.Booker just shows he belongs and we can see that he's going to be fine in the NFL game.

We're fine at LB and the secondary and even have pretty good depth at CB. The depth at S is a tbd for me and really need Byard to show he can still play at a high level in the NFL after a not so good showing after being traded to Philly last year.

DefNextYear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Potential is there and the 2ndary will probably make the rush look better. Works both ways but I prefer the rush to dictate the D.
For sure, our defense was carried by the back 7. That's an elite group. I'd love it to continue to work, but I just feel it's less sustainable and less reliable for consistency vs. getting that pass run going. So my fear of how good the defense is really rooted there.

"Rome wasn't built in a day"... so it is what it is and it was never feasible to fix it all this year. I still have high expectations for this year, but I think that may control our ceiling at the end of the year.

DefNextYear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think it should be pretty obvious that we need pass rush help from opposite Sweat and probably from the inside as well. As i've been saying, the most sacks Sweat has had up until last year was 9 and that was on a pretty stacked DL in Wash so he definitely need help and hopefully Dexter takes a very noticeable step forward in his game especially his pass rush and we can get something from Pickens who was a ghost. Then of course hopefully A.Booker just shows he belongs and we can see that he's going to be fine in the NFL game.

We're fine at LB and the secondary and even have pretty good depth at CB. The depth at S is a tbd for me and really need Byard to show he can still play at a high level in the NFL after a not so good showing after being traded to Philly last year.
If Dexter progresses very nicely, that's the game changing piece for us.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Thing that stands out to me is that he throws a very catchable ball where only his guy can go get it when doubled, using the sideline to his advantage. That vision/placement and touch under pressure is special. Most QBs would have put more pace on that (harder catch or throw away) and it would have still been considered a good play.
Also, good thing that this team features two jump-ball receivers and an above average TE (I will consider him better when he shows a better job of turning upfield quickly once he gets the ball). Caleb will have nice big windows to throw to where only our guys can get it.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
If Dexter progresses very nicely, that's the game changing piece for us.
He would have to progress quite a bit for it to be game changing but it sure would be nice to know we actually have a starting 3T, which i'm not sure we do right now. Now if he could progress and we can sign one of these DE's in free agency then that could be game changing for next season.

DefNextYear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He would have to progress quite a bit for it to be game changing but it sure would be nice to know we actually have a starting 3T, which i'm not sure we do right now. Now if he could progress and we can sign one of these DE's in free agency then that could be game changing for next season.
I assume there's no way we don't sign a DE. It really becomes a matter of who that person is.

As for Dexter being a game changer for us, I just mean his improvement would have major implications on the defense as an entire unit (and specifically the dline itself). He's really the only guy on the DL that can take a monster step just by nature of his lack of overall experience. So coming out this year and making a monster jump really does change it all. I'm not saying we become a top 10 DL unit or anything, but Flus is coordinating with one arm behind his back if he's missing his 3 tech, so Dexter making a monster jump there makes a huge difference for the defense.

And even just from a simple numbers standpoint, having 1 guy on the DL becoming a high caliber player is 25% of that unit. That's overly simplified, but the point just being that one big jump in a unit of 4 can be a big deal. We can't squeeze much more, if anything, out of Sweat, so it just needs to be Dexter. He has the growth potential. That's all I mean. If he make the second year jump for a young DT, I think it'll make things really interesting for that defense.

Last edited:

WestsideResider

Bro idk
Liked Posts:
I wonder what Cunningham meant when he said to Poles that they got 1 and 2. Was Rome 2 on their board? That would be pretty interesting.
Yeah I think that’s what he meant. Crazy how it worked out