4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Muskat CONFIRMS!!!! Heell yeeeahhh!

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Doesn't sound like they will be in the line-up today.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Muskat is confirming both Jackson and VItters up. Not sure if I am more or less confident in them being up now.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I hope she knows the difference between Jackson and Vitters, and Ashton Kutcher and Jon Cryer, all them white people looking alike and stuff...

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Jackson not on 40 man, might just DFA Valbuena instead of sending down Cardenas to free space.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I believe the 40 man roster is at 39 right now.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ah good, now Vitters and Jackson will both be eligible for postseason play :D

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
Kinda figured Vitters would be getting the call very soon. I don't like Jackson getting called up, but figured he probably would. Now I suspect Cardenas and Campana will be shipped back to Iowa. Wouldn't be surprised to see Lake, and Watkins promoted to Iowa (maybe Bour too), thus making room for Villanueva, and Alcantara (when he comes back). Wouldn't be surprised to see Torreyes end up in Tennessee too with how hot he's been for the past couple of months. Then slide Saunders over to 2B with Baez in Daytona.

Still wish to see Hendricks head to Tennessee. He's dominated High A ball for the Rangers this year. I think it's time for him to show his stuff against a bit stiffer competition in AA. That might come when Lendy Castillo is finished with his rehab work, which should be soon. He's already got 5 starts between Arizona and Daytona. He's looked really sharp in all of them. What it also means is that the MLB squad is going to have to send someone else back down again.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well Gordon Wittenmeyer is also saying that BJax and Vitters is up. I am guessing that neither start today, but start the rest of the way. Hope I am wrong about today.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Baker traded and Campana optioned are the two roster moves.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
Well Gordon Wittenmeyer is also saying that BJax and Vitters is up. I am guessing that neither start today, but start the rest of the way. Hope I am wrong about today.

They both played the full game last night, which ended around 9:45 CST. If the team shipped them into LA right away, they may have been on a flight around 11-midnight, arriving in LA between 12:30-2:30 CST. Game starts at 3:10 CST today. So it's possible, though as you say, unlikely. If they're coming up, Id rather see them start everyday over LaHair/DeJesus and Valbuena.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
Baker traded and Campana optioned are the two roster moves.

Baker instead of Cardenas... surprise there. I'd rather see Cardenas back in Iowa and playing everyday.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have no doubt that Rizzo, Jackson and Vitters will be playing practically everyday, but I don't think we need to freak out if neither is starting today.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
The Baker move would have to be a DFA. Pretty sure he doesn't have options anymore... and his veteran status should give him the rights to accept being re-assigned.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
I have no doubt that Rizzo, Jackson and Vitters will be playing practically everyday, but I don't think we need to freak out if neither is starting today.

Oh I'm not freaking out. I actually think it might be a good idea to let them rest today since they would have had to fly in early this morning. However, the sooner they begin to start games... the better for their development. I just hope both can stick, as it's now starting heir abr/FA clocks.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Baker move would have to be a DFA. Pretty sure he doesn't have options anymore... and his veteran status should give him the rights to accept being re-assigned.

He was traded to Detroit for 2 PTBNL.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jim Callis at Baseball America:
Daytona righthander Matt Loosen's numbers are staggeringly good this year. Is he a prospect despite being a little old for high Class A, or are his numbers fluky? What's the story on fellow Cubs righthander Trey McNutt this year? And finally, are there any young Cubs arms to be excited about?

Dale Roberts
Calvert City, Ky.
Loosen turned in a pair of nondescript seasons in the Cubs system after signing for $30,000 as a 23rd-round pick from Jacksonville in 2010, leaving no hints that he'd break out this year. Even after getting roughed up in his last two starts, he tops the high Class A Florida State League in wins (10) and opponent average (.190), and he has an overall record of 10-4, 3.33 with a 96-37 K-BB ratio in 100 innings.

Loosen is a prospect in the sense that he has a chance to get to the big leagues, but he's not a top prospect. The 6-foot-2, 205-pounder works mostly with an average fastball and he can run it up to 94 mph on occasion. His curveball is better than his slider, though both are effective, while his changeup lacks consistency. He throws a decent amount of strikes but his control and command still need improvement.

At 23, Loosen is old for his level and needs to get tested by more advanced hitters. He projects more as a middle reliever than a starter, and if we slapped a BA grade on him, it would be 45/High.

As for McNutt, whom we ranked as Chicago's best pitching prospect entering the season, he has hit a wall. Though he flashed a pair of plus-plus pitches and showed promise as a potential No. 2 starter at two Class A stops in 2010, he hasn't been the same guy since.

Now relegated to the bullpen during his third stint in Double-A, he just hasn't shown the same stuff with any consistency. He no longer misses many bats and his command, never his strong suit, has backslid as well. He now looks like a definite reliever, and he's going to have to snap out of his funk to get a big league opportunity.

The Cubs lack quality pitching at the upper levels of their farm system, which is why they drafted high school arms Paul Blackburn, Duane Underwood, Ryan McNeil and Anthony Prieto in the first five rounds in June and traded for four pitchers (most notably Arodys Vizcaino) in July. Of the guys who were in the system at the start of the year, the best young arms (21 and under) are Dillon Maples (who didn't make his pro debut until July 29 after tweaking his elbow), Tony Zych and Jose Rosario.