Soler Power: Cubs Minor League Thread v2

Which team/player excites you the most?

• Total voters

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lendy Castillo, remember him, has been working his way through the system on a rehab stint. The Cubs have been stretching him out as a starter with him pitching tonight for the Smokies. I wouldn't be shocked to see Castillo get a turn or two in the rotation.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well Castillo is done after 2 innings so perhaps they aren't stretching him out. At this point even if they call him up now I don't believe he will be on the roster for 90 days needed to statisify rule 5 requirements.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
Lendy Castillo, remember him, has been working his way through the system on a rehab stint. The Cubs have been stretching him out as a starter with him pitching tonight for the Smokies. I wouldn't be shocked to see Castillo get a turn or two in the rotation.

I recall reading something from Hoyer explaining Castillo's selection stating that they hoped to basically hide him in the pen for the season... then try to turn him into a starter. I'm starting to wonder if he was truly all that injured in the first place... and this wasn't some ploy to get him to Mesa under the guise of rehabbing an injury to get him prepared to start sooner than later.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I recall reading something from Hoyer explaining Castillo's selection stating that they hoped to basically hide him in the pen for the season... then try to turn him into a starter. I'm starting to wonder if he was truly all that injured in the first place... and this wasn't some ploy to get him to Mesa under the guise of rehabbing an injury to get him prepared to start sooner than later.

Very well could be, but usually they wait til he gets to the 90 days that they need to satisify rule 5 before doing it. I think he only has something like 40-50 days now. He has to get up here soon to make that this season.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
Well Castillo is done after 2 innings so perhaps they aren't stretching him out. At this point even if they call him up now I don't believe he will be on the roster for 90 days needed to statisify rule 5 requirements.

Lendy went to the DL on May 16. That's already 44 days right there. He'd only need 46 more. If he gets called up tomorrow (which could happen since his 30-days rehab time is almost up) and remains with the team until the end of the season... he will get 56 more days on the roster.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
Very well could be, but usually they wait til he gets to the 90 days that they need to satisify rule 5 before doing it. I think he only has something like 40-50 days now. He has to get up here soon to make that this season.

Yeah, they are playing it very close. That's what happened to Patton. They held him until late July... then put him on the DL and sent him to Mesa.

ZDemp34

That One Guy
Liked Posts:
Yeah, they are playing it very close. That's what happened to Patton. They held him until late July... then put him on the DL and sent him to Mesa.

And then Patton never pitched in the majors again :lol:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Cubs need RP, so if he has anything, he can make it.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
If anyone was wondering, Jorge Soler has been promoted to Peoria.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Peoria's social media says Soler will be playing tonight.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah Soler moving is official. Pierce Johnson might also be moving up since he is getting a going to miss you tweet from an AZL Cub teammate.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Johnson probably to Boise though.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
That would be my guess, but I haven't seen anything about it yet. I could be wrong but the tweet definitely implied that Johnson was leaving AZ.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
That would be my guess, but I haven't seen anything about it yet. I could be wrong but the tweet definitely implied that Johnson was leaving AZ.

Could be the tweeting teammate.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
Johnson probably to Boise though.

Johnson was drafted out of college this year. So, it wouldn't be a stretch to see him head to Peoria... Epstein has a track record of starting college players out higher than high schoolers. Though, I certainly wouldn't be surprised if he heads to Boise.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, pretty much states Johnson is moving on up. Interesting that comes from Chad Martin.. who is living up to expectations of a $10K 10th rounder drafted only because he'd be cheap. 11.1 IP 11 Ks 5 BB 13 Hits 8 ER.

I do find it kind of strange that Johnson has started 2 games but only has 3 IP.
I don't think it is odd given his status as a prospect (hence the two starts) and the fact that he just finished a college season of pitching and his already had arm injuries in the past (hence the 3 innings so far this year).