Stanley Cup Finals Pre-Series Discussion/Speculation

CLWolf81

Fan Captain
Liked Posts:
Re: 5/29 - SCF Game 1 - Flyers (0) @ (0) Blackhawks 7:00PM NBC

[quote name="Stu Grimson"]Not sure anyone is going to be putting Pronger in his place... dude is an animal and an absolute playoff warrior.[/quote]

The man headhunts. Plain and simple. Here's my personal favorite...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bJXgDCbICM[/youtube]

I might be calling the pot on that one but here's one that I'm sure we'll all remember...

Pronger on Parise

And if you hate the Canucks, here's a push: Pronger Stomping on Kesler's leg

We need to worry about this crap. I know I was one to support Chris ages ago, but now seeing that I'm on the opposite end of it this time, I seriously hope Buff or someone kicks the living crap out of him if he tries anything.

"Playoff warriors" are also not supposed to be considered chicken shit.

Larmer83

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I went thru the thread quickly and here is a breakdown in predictions- Hawks in...

4 games-1 vote

5 games-6 votes

6 games-4 votes

5 1/2 games- RK(Carbondale grads always hedge their bets).

After watching games 3 and 4 of the Habs-Philly series, I figured the Hawks in 5 and perhaps a sweep. Now I'm hedging my bet. And with good reason.

It starts with Laviolette. He won a Cup in Carolina and it seems he has finally gotten his players to buy into his system. When he took over for Stevens, the Flyers lost something like 8 out of his first 10 games as coach. Not so good. They snuck into the playoffs with a shootout win against the Rangers on the last game of the season. Not so impressive. The Bruins were up 3-0 in games in the quarter finals. Not so quick to say bye bye. Laviolette has turned a group of miscreants into a team that has overcome adversity. He's also a good tactician.

Look for Philly to clog the middle and make the Hawks go wide. When the Hawks need to dump the puck, I'd like to see that decision made quick so the forwards have momentum thru the neutral zone to get on the fore check. If they can, look for Matt Carle to make some turnovers.

Bolland has been great. But he's got to be better than 39 % in the circle in the playoffs.

Keep your head up when Richards is on the ice.

Both teams a pretty much equal on PP and PK percentages in the playoffs. If the series were to be played 5 on 5 theres no way the Hawks would lose. That's obviously not going to happen. Stay out of the box and avoid 5 on 3's.

Finally, the longer Leighton gets to pretend he's a Cup goalie as opposed to a Carolina waiver castoff, the longer the series goes. When he slides, Philly will fold. Niemi has won the goalie postion in 3 series and needs to make it 4.

Hawks in 6 cause my liver can't take a game 7.

CLWolf81

Fan Captain
Liked Posts:

[quote name="Larmer83"]Hawks in 6 cause my liver can't take a game 7.[/quote]

Your liver or your heart with the potential of cardiac arrest?

whalerhawk

Liked Posts:

I don't think I've offered up a prediction on the series so far, but I'll take a shot. I'll say Hawks in six, but I hope it ends in five. I just have a funny feeling Philly will keep one game close and get a lucky break to win it, I think the Hawks might have a let down in one other game.

Hawks win every odd game and then close it out in game 6.

I think everyone should go to NHL.com and listen to Leightons presser. He flat out compares the Hawks offense to that of the Habs. If he truly believes that he has another thing coming.

I hope he actually believes that.

Toews, Kane, Hossa, Sharp, Buff, Versteeg, Bolland, Brouwer.....

Gionta, Gomez, Calamari..... Are you serious?

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:

[quote name="R K"]I think everyone should go to NHL.com and listen to Leightons presser. He flat out compares the Hawks offense to that of the Habs. If he truly believes that he has another thing coming.

Gionta, Gomez, Calamari..... Are you serious?[/quote]

You forgot the mighty power of a PK Subban slap shot!!!!

5Minutes4Fighting

Liked Posts:

Philly is in the East and i confess i don't know shit about them other than Richards and Pronger are studs and even though they snuck in the playoffs they are obviously doing something right. With that disclaimer i'm saying Hawks in five. I really hope it doesn't go six cuz i really don't feel like making two trips to Philly.

-5Minutes

Wasn't Subban a D man? :dance:

PatrickSharpRules

Liked Posts:

[quote name="R K"]I think everyone should go to NHL.com and listen to Leightons presser. He flat out compares the Hawks offense to that of the Habs. If he truly believes that he has another thing coming.

Literally just watched that, WOW. What an utter moron, Keith, Seabrook, Campbell, Hammer are all HUGE threats to score, not to mention our top THREE FUCKING LINES. MTL compared to the Hawks is laughable, but hey, keep thinking that way Michael, you won't be thinking that after the first period Guranteed.

klemmer

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

[quote name="PatrickSharpRules"]

Literally just watched that, WOW. What an utter moron, Keith, Seabrook, Campbell, Hammer are all HUGE threats to score, not to mention our top THREE FUCKING LINES. MTL compared to the Hawks is laughable, but hey, keep thinking that way Michael, you won't be thinking that after the first period Guranteed.[/quote]

He's a goalie, what do you expect him to say- "I'm scared shitless to face the Hawks?"

I'm not taking them lightly but if he seriously thinks Montreal's offense is ANYTHING like the Hawks in comparison, he is an idiot. He's also in for one shocking surprise.

klemmer

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

[quote name="R K"]I'm not taking them lightly but if he seriously thinks Montreal's offense is ANYTHING like the Hawks in comparison, he is an idiot. He's also in for one shocking surprise.[/quote]

You've been around the game enough to know that goaltending is 90% mental

I agree with what you say, but also think that what he says and what he thinks are two pretty different things.

Yea but he was always pretty straight forward and one of the brighter goalies we've had. I can't wait for this series to start! I really can't!

klemmer

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

[quote name="R K"]Yea but he was always pretty straight forward and one of the brighter goalies we've had. I can't wait for this series to start! I really can't![/quote]

Nor can I! It's still hard to believe that the boys are playing for the Cup!

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:

[quote name="R K"]Wasn't Subban a D man? :dance:[/quote]

Well I bet the Habs considered him offense with his 250 MPH slapshot they so raved about, lol.

5Minutes4Fighting

Liked Posts:

I've posted in the past that ticket prices drop the closer it gets to game day, and awesome deals can usually be found on gameday. If i did not have a ticket and wanted to go, i would work the web hard on gameday. The hub, the exchange, and cl. Shit, who knows, the Hawks themselves might even put some on tm, but i doubt it.

Anyway, i'm planning on going to Filly for games 4 and 6 (if necessary), i got my flight and hotel, but not even thinking about buying tickets just yet since i know prices will go down. But i was on philly cl tonight just getting a feel for the market and i came across this little piece of humor:

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/tix/1759679448.html

-5Minutes

There are 43,500 seats in Citizens Bank Park....

While there are 19,500 in the Wachovia Center.

Not sure how much they'll drop. Good luck though as by looking at tickets for games #1 and #2 at the UC they are out of control.

PatrickSharpRules

Liked Posts:

[quote name="klemmer"]
[quote name="PatrickSharpRules"]

Literally just watched that, WOW. What an utter moron, Keith, Seabrook, Campbell, Hammer are all HUGE threats to score, not to mention our top THREE FUCKING LINES. MTL compared to the Hawks is laughable, but hey, keep thinking that way Michael, you won't be thinking that after the first period Guranteed.[/quote]

He's a goalie, what do you expect him to say- "I'm scared shitless to face the Hawks?"[/quote]

Absolutely not, that would be ridiculous, but at least ballpark it. Like "the Hawks are gonna be a bigger test offensively, their D men move the puck and are in on most goals".....he straight up said, "i think their offense is very similar to what Montreal HAD", not what the played. I hope he's aware of the reality just for his sake.

Razzberry

Liked Posts:

[quote name="5Minutes4Fighting"]I've posted in the past that ticket prices drop the closer it gets to game day, and awesome deals can usually be found on gameday. If i did not have a ticket and wanted to go, i would work the web hard on gameday. The hub, the exchange, and cl. Shit, who knows, the Hawks themselves might even put some on tm, but i doubt it.

Anyway, i'm planning on going to Filly for games 4 and 6 (if necessary), i got my flight and hotel, but not even thinking about buying tickets just yet since i know prices will go down. But i was on philly cl tonight just getting a feel for the market and i came across this little piece of humor:

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/tix/1759679448.html

-5Minutes[/quote]

It got removed :(

mikita's helmet

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I've picked the Hawks in 6 every round so far. I'll stick with that.