Starlin Castro's Error Tracker (2013 Edition!)

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Wouldn't the Cubs benefit by moving Castro to 3b for Baez when he's ready and solve a couple of problems right there?

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Wouldn't the Cubs benefit by moving Castro to 3b for Baez when he's ready and solve a couple of problems right there?

Baez who has 11 errors this year?

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

Not a chance. Both of these guys can't field, but Baez is inferior to Castro in almost every regard at this stage of the game.

On a field that isn't major league quality? Yep

Really? The field's quality is the reason Baez can't make routine throws to first base or read the ball when it comes off the bat?

:pity:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
i think they should give castro a shot at CF

Of all the move Castro off of SS suggestions this is the only one that makes sense to me. His bat would still be above average for the position, and wouldn't minimize his strengths as a fielder.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Really? The field's quality is the reason Baez can't make routine throws to first base or read the ball when it comes off the bat?

:pity:

Well Baez's RF is way higher than Castro's so he is excused for all the errors he can make according to the brain trust around here.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
If Castro is mental, to me 3b is the perfect spot, too hard to get lost. CF I think he'd be a disaster if he day dreams

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Castro moves anywhere, it will either be for another team or a move to second base. I find both highly unlikely anytime soon.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
If Castro moves anywhere, it will either be for another team or a move to second base. I find both highly unlikely anytime soon.

he could be the piece that nets them david price...

if he plays CF.. our bleacher fans will keep him alert :lol::lol:

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
he could be the piece that nets them david price...

if he plays CF.. our bleacher fans will keep him alert :lol::lol:

I'm not sure the Cubs would be willing to offer him though, part of that no trading core-for-core philosophy. Would probably include Baez or Soler or Almora or a combination of two of them, plus maybe Vogelbach and/or Johnson and someone else

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
I'm not sure the Cubs would be willing to offer him though, part of that no trading core-for-core philosophy. Would probably include Baez or Soler or Almora or a combination of two of them, plus maybe Vogelbach and/or Johnson and someone else

If those players are 'untouchable', it is a waste of time even talking about Price then.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
If those players are 'untouchable', it is a waste of time even talking about Price then.

Castro would not be in the David Price deal. It would be counter productive. Yes, Price is an ace but Castro is also a piece of a young core. Now, no one will be untouchable in the minors for him. Lets hope Rock Shoulders and Volgelbomb raise there stock significantly because they could be a nice piece the Rays want. They have to keep hitting but they are made for the AL. I am not saying they are the center piece because they wouldnt even be close to that. I am just saying a nice piece to add to the package if they keep hitting.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Price is 10 times the player Castro is.

I would deal Castro in a heartbeat if it netted Price.

It makes the team WAY better.

Castro is totally overrated right now. Sure he has a lot of potential, but what does it matter if he is too lazy or too much a head case to capitalize on it.

"My Guy" in KC as you like to describe him, right now has a higher BA, higher OBP, higher SLG percentage and is a far better baserunner and defensive SS.

Castro's actual production is far from irreplaceable. At some point potential has to match production.

Castro's numbers have not been improving. His OPS last year was less than the year before and virtually identical to his rookie year. Still early this year, but his OPS is down quite a bit.

It is time for his numbers to start trending upwards, not leveling off or declining.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Price is 10 times the player Castro is.

I would deal Castro in a heartbeat if it netted Price.

It makes the team WAY better.

Castro is totally overrated right now. Sure he has a lot of potential, but what does it matter if he is too lazy or too much a head case to capitalize on it.

"My Guy" in KC as you like to describe him, right now has a higher BA, higher OBP, higher SLG percentage and is a far better baserunner and defensive SS.

Castro's actual production is far from irreplaceable. At some point potential has to match production.

Castro's numbers have not been improving. His OPS last year was less than the year before and virtually identical to his rookie year. Still early this year, but his OPS is down quite a bit.

It is time for his numbers to start trending upwards, not leveling off or declining.

I never disputed that Price is far better then Castro. I said it is counter productive because say you get price and you empty the farm and Castro for him. Now, you have a huge hole at short. Its counter productive. Price is an ace and is huge for a team, but losing a player like Castro would hurt as well. SS is relatively weak around the league. Now, if the Cubs have a good replacement for him and can save some guys if he is included for Price then yea. But, Castro alone would not net Price. I think anybody is trade-able if its the right price. I just think it is counter productive. I would be more willing to trade Rizzo in the Price deal over Castro. We are deeper at finding a first baseman in my opinion.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I never disputed that Price is far better then Castro. I said it is counter productive because say you get price and you empty the farm and Castro for him. Now, you have a huge hole at short. Its counter productive. Price is an ace and is huge for a team, but losing a player like Castro would hurt as well. SS is relatively weak around the league. Now, if the Cubs have a good replacement for him and can save some guys if he is included for Price then yea. But, Castro alone would not net Price. I think anybody is trade-able if its the right price. I just think it is counter productive. I would be more willing to trade Rizzo in the Price deal over Castro. We are deeper at finding a first baseman in my opinion.

It is? I thought it was arguably the strongest position around.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
If they traded castro for price, then they would keep baez to play short ( may need a filler for 2014 ).. but it also may mean they would not have to give up a lot of prospects with castro being an established major league player..

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
If they traded castro for price, then they would keep baez to play short ( may need a filler for 2014 ).. but it also may mean they would not have to give up a lot of prospects with castro being an established major league player..

When it comes to the Rays, they aren't a team that is going to absorb a player that has a contract of Castro's worth. They want to keep rolling over top prospects and then flipping them for more prospects and occasionally extending someone like Longoria. It's the way they have to roll.

If the Cubs want Price, they will have to mortgage most of the farm. Does everyone forget what it took to acquire Matt Garza and now we are wanting to get Tampa's ace? Their GM will ask for the moon and get it.

Like I said earlier, stock the farm, fix up Wrigley, and then their can be no other excuses for not fielding a productive team. NONE!