Starlin Castro's Error Tracker (2013 Edition!)

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
I don't know what is to be honest, there are a lot of proprietary metrics teams use, and you more advanced stats you can find at FanGraphs. I guess you still think batting average is better than OBP and OPS too.

Maybe if fld f/x ever comes out you'd have your answer there.

Like you stated, proprietary metrics which means no two are alike.

Terrible comparison to BA, OBP and OPS. They are straight mathematical ratios, not a complicated metric.

Not surprised you would try that though.

I will take BA and OPS all day, everyday over WAR.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Maybe the Cubs shouldn't have signed Castro to such a long term deal. He's going to get worse defensively because he's an idiot. He should have been dealt to an AL team to be used as a DH later just like Prince Fielder.

i think they signed him to a long term deal with an eye on eventually changing positions once baez is ready, i personally feel hed make a decent CFer

a guest on chicagosportstalk thinks that once baez is ready castro may become trade bait

i think they would prefer to change positions over trading him, especially if his bat gets better ..

interesting stat i saw.. we all agree he bad defensively overall whether its mental or physical, i find these stats interesting which supports both side of an argument..
which is he sucks cause he makes a lot of errors and he gets to more balls then most SS therefore he has more chances ( to make an error).

lgfld% AVG at his position is .971 during his 3+yrs, his fld% is .959 which is terrible

AVG lg range factor for all SS is 4.32 , his is at 4.54 which is pretty good

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
i think they signed him to a long term deal with an eye on eventually changing positions once baez is ready, i personally feel hed make a decent CFer

a guest on chicagosportstalk thinks that once baez is ready castro may become trade bait

i think they would prefer to change positions over trading him, especially if his bat gets better ..

interesting stat i saw.. we all agree he bad defensively overall whether its mental or physical, i find these stats interesting which supports both side of an argument..
which is he sucks cause he makes a lot of errors and he gets to more balls then most SS therefore he has more chances ( to make an error).

lgfld% AVG at his position is .971 during his 3+yrs, his fld% is .959 which is terrible

bearz99.

I'm willing to bet that two thirds of Castro's errors were not made at the "edge of his range". I don't dare to count how many numerous times I've watched the ball merely split his legs or mishandled without having to move much.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:

Range factor also has to do a lot with the pitching staff he plays behind as well.

The Cubs have ranked 24th, 25th and 21st in K's the last three years, so more balls put in play.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
bearz99.

I'm willing to bet that two thirds of Castro's errors were not made at the "edge of his range". I don't dare to count how many numerous times I've watched the ball merely split his legs or mishandled without having to move much.

Great point.

Most times when a player is at the edge of their range and make a miscue, they will credit the batter with a hit

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Like you stated, proprietary metrics which means no two are alike.

Terrible comparison to BA, OBP and OPS. They are straight mathematical ratios, not a complicated metric.

Not surprised you would try that though.

I will take BA and OPS all day, everyday over WAR.

Then I have nothing left to say to someone who still puts weight into batting average OPS yet continues to claim others have no idea what they are talking about.

Try this, make an Excel spreadsheet with every team's batting average, runs scored, OBP, and OPS each season over 10 years. Then make a new cell and then run a correlation formula with each column to runs, and I GUARANTEE you that OPS is more meaningful to scoring runs by a pretty hefty margin.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Range factor also has to do a lot with the pitching staff he plays behind as well.

The Cubs have ranked 24th, 25th and 21st in K's the last three years, so more balls put in play.

Range factor isn't based on number of opportunities, so what you said is completely meaningless.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Then I have nothing left to say to someone who still puts weight into batting average OPS yet continues to claim others have no idea what they are talking about.

Try this, make an Excel spreadsheet with every team's batting average, runs scored, OBP, and OPS each season over 10 years. Then make a new cell and then run a correlation formula with each column to runs, and I GUARANTEE you that OPS is more meaningful to scoring runs by a pretty hefty margin.

I have no idea what this even says.

You say you discredit anyone who places value in OPS and then you GUARANTEE that it is more meaningful???

Slow down their Skippy.

You are in such a rush to argue anything I have to say, you have no idea what you are even saying and manage to contradict yourself in span of two paragraphs.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Range factor isn't based on number of opportunities, so what you said is completely meaningless.

Thanks for furthering my thought that you don't have the slightest idea what you are talking about.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:

You say you discredit anyone who places value in OPS and then you GUARANTEE that it is more meaningful???

Slow down their Skippy.

You are in such a rush to argue anything I have to say, you have no idea what you are even saying and manage to contradict yourself in span of two paragraphs.

:success:

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats

Slow down their Skippy.

batting average more than OPS, type-o sorry, was on mobile.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
batting average more than OPS, type-o sorry, was on mobile.

OK, Einstein.

Go back and quote me exactly where I said I valued BA more than OPS.

Exactly like I said, you are in such a hurry to whine and cry and throw your sippy cup, you don't have a clue what you are talking about.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
So then Castro's 'great range' doesn't make up for all his errors.

Thanks for playing.

No, Range Factor simply does not accurately measure how far a player can range to make a play.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
OK, Einstein.

Go back and quote me exactly where I said I valued BA more than OPS.

Exactly like I said, you are in such a hurry to whine and cry and throw your sippy cup, you don't have a clue what you are talking about.

Fuck, my bad, mobile, thought you said "BA over OPS", you can forget this.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Updated. 5 errors before the end of April.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
That last one was goofy. It was like he couldn't see the ball come at him until the last minute.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
That last one was goofy. It was like he couldn't see the ball come at him until the last minute.

I'll reserve judgment until I see it.