The Javier Baez Discussion Thread

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Agree with the except I expect either Russell or Castro traded. In reality I believe it will end up being Russell used to land a TOR because the Cubs are going to be good next year. If they end up trading Castro for a project arm that means they added a arm and are looking to clear payroll.

These decisions will play out with time and situation. Very hard to say anything right now.

Russell is a hitter and a plus defender at SS. He won't be traded.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I hear that. That article made sense. Why start Baez's clock early unless you are gearing up for a run in 2015. Baez needs time to adjust. Soler and Bryant should need less time to adjust to the league.

So If I'm running out a line up of:
Alcantara
Baez
Rizzo
Bryant
Soler
Castro
Coghland
Castillo

opening day I need a legit rotation. Right now I would feel good with Arrieta, Hendricks and Wada. all 3 have been keeping the Cubs in games. Wood and Jackson have not. Jackson is not a easy move. Wood is. Pretty basic stuff here.

So if they are planning to add a TOR then they need to free up the arb2 case with Wood. We are looking at 5 mil IMO and not justified but what he should get.

That said I'm expecting a 3 man battle to take a spot Wada, Felix Doubront and Eric Jokisch. I would give the edge to Wada with what he has shown to this point. But he could fall of the table also. Regardless I don't see them paying 5 mil to Wood next year after this year.

That leaves 1 spot open and I'm expect a investment. Lester is the big rumor but I'm thinking Theo keeps going after the top Japan import. That has been his MO sense DiceK

I understand there will be some growing pains with those youngsters, but that lineup should get them to .500.

Arietta, Hendricks, Wada, Jackson.....not threatening anyone for best rotation, but not terrible. Add TWO pitchers that are reliable - or better yet, one of them TOR - and this team contends a year before anyone had them contending. Probably still a year away from serious contender, but I wouldn't at all rule it out. That lineup would strike out a lot, and be too HR heavy, but keep Coghlan - and, dare I say, Valbuena - and that lineup is going to score some runs. It would be inconsistent, but good.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I understand there will be some growing pains with those youngsters, but that lineup should get them to .500.

Arietta, Hendricks, Wada, Jackson.....not threatening anyone for best rotation, but not terrible. Add TWO pitchers that are reliable - or better yet, one of them TOR - and this team contends a year before anyone had them contending. Probably still a year away from serious contender, but I wouldn't at all rule it out. That lineup would strike out a lot, and be too HR heavy, but keep Coghlan - and, dare I say, Valbuena - and that lineup is going to score some runs. It would be inconsistent, but good.

atleast kool aid is cheap? what is your favorite flavor?

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
Russell is a hitter and a plus defender at SS. He won't be traded.

Man, I hope you're right. I keep hearing that he's a great, natural SS, which I like. If he can hit too that would be great. If he can hit for average, I'll buy everyone a beer!

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Russell defense is overplayed. Yea, he probably would end up a plus defender if everything went right but his bat is better then his glove.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Russell defense is overplayed. Yea, he probably would end up a plus defender if everything went right but his bat is better then his glove.

He's not Lindor but most view his future defense at a 60.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
:cum:

Liked Posts:
3/4, 4 RBI, and 2 bombs. Very satisfying.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well, today didn't suck for Baez......

CSF77

Liked Posts:
He sounds complete player. The only thing that may hurt him is him gaining size. But right now his D is very solid. It is still hard to make a early call with him.

The only thing is I haven't seen a plus tool with him that jumps out. All are good. Walks around a 12% rate. Speed is avg to better. Power is acceptable at SS. Arm is good.

I wouldn't build a line up around him is all I'm saying. They could run Castro or Russell out there for the next 5 years and honestly not lose much either way.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
ya. It is Col though. We need a few weeks to see where he is at.

If you're going to introduce someone to major league pitching you might as well start with Colorado.........kinda like slipping into the pool slowly.