The Javier Baez Discussion Thread

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
More LOL. That doesn't say what you think it says.

Then please enlighten me, cuz it seems you are attacking me for no reason for answering a question. Why else would you say "I will strongly consider thankbanging anyone who argues with you" just for answering a question?

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
Well for one, I think he can be every bit as good defensively at 3B which is the more valuable defensive position. But as to the question, guys who hit 35+ HRs don't play second base. They almost universally play a corner position(1b/3b/LF/RF). The reason for that is because teams often move guys like Baez to 3B and guys who aren't going to play SS but have speed to 2B(more like Alcantara). Case in point, in the minors Miggy Cabrera was a SS. The marlins moved him to 3B and when he got older and not as good defensively detroit moved him to 1B. Even if you want to point to someone like Cano, he wasn't this kind of player in the minors or even his first several years in the majors. He was a good contact guy but his power was more of a surprise after he was at 2B.

Some would ask why it matters because his bat plays wherever. My point has always been that if you play him at 2B and Castro at SS your devoting 2 of the typical 3 positions where you get lead off/top of the order hitters(SS, 2B, CF) to power hitters who aren't going to bat in the 1/2 hole long term. Some would argue that it doesn't matter the type of hitter. I would disagree. Teams have been running this sort of set up for quite a long time. Even in the steroid days, if you got an A-Rod type at SS you typically didn't run another a-rod type at 2B. And while I'm all for questioning norms, ultimately until someone does it and proves it works it's going against the norm.

Simply put, I'm worried they are building a line up which requires a lot of HRs to function and relying on HRs is chancey. On the other hand, if you have two guys similar to Alcantara in the 1/2 hole you can walk or single and their speed can advance them to 2B. Additionally, those type of hitters can take an extra base that a bulkier guy wouldn't.

I think if you start talking prototypical 3B, you'd want Bryant there in the long run. He's 6'5", and generally you want tall players on the corners to protect the line. That would give the Cubs 6'5" and 6'3" on the corners with Bryant and Rizzo.

Defensively, middle infield and the corners are extremely different, imo. At 3b, the arm comes into play as it's a totally different timing on the throw. At 2b, I'd think Baez's range would come into play. 3b would limit that, imo.

Generally, a great range infielder can play deep and take deeper angles, which requires a quick accurate throw as well. Generally, you would want your two best infielders with range to at SS and 2b. The double play is the biggest thing here. The best, Cub anyhow I've seen, is Rhino. The MF'er made playing 2b look easy.

Eventually, I see Russell and Baez in the middle for the Cubs. If anyone gets switched to 3b, I would bet on Castro, myself. Then Bryant would go to the outfield.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
OK, I see that I'm dealing with less intelligent people than I'm used to. If I have to fuckin spell it out for you, I will.....
Listen dude, go talk to somebody else. You're a fuckin idiot if you can't understand. I laid it out right there for the World to see. It's what YOU wrote, not me. Leave me alone, you stupid mutherfucker!

Then please enlighten me, cuz it seems you are attacking me for no reason for answering a question. Why else would you say "I will strongly consider thankbanging anyone who argues with you" just for answering a question?
It's your own ignorance that allows you to keep digging a hole. You may want to observe everyone else's posts in this forum. None of them use all caps for anything. You also seem to think it's OK to call someone in the Cubs forum "you stupid mutherfucker!" Again, you should look around. No one else here discusses anything in that fashion. According to you, I'm attacking you, yet you can freely call me or anyone here "stupid", "idiot", "mutherfucker", etc. The issue doesn't get any more obvious than that.

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
It's your own ignorance that allows you to keep digging a hole. You may want to observe everyone else's posts in this forum. None of them use all caps for anything. You also seem to think it's OK to call someone in the Cubs forum "you stupid mutherfucker!" Again, you should look around. No one else here discusses anything in that fashion. According to you, I'm attacking you, yet you can freely call me or anyone here "stupid", "idiot", "mutherfucker", etc. The issue doesn't get any more obvious than that.

Maybe you should look at YOURSELF. YOU seem to be the one that wants to argue with me. I'll oblige if you want! I don't care if you like my typing style on an internet MB. It seems like a petty thing to fall back onto, after saying something dumb to me.

You said something stupid to me, and accused me of something, and now you won't fess up to it. Instead, you dance around it with insults to me. Notice Fish showing you what a thankbanger is. Get it now?

I don't care if you like me, I don't care if you don't like what or how I write something. Bottom line is YOU fucked with me first, and I'll let you know about it. If you want to talk baseball, then fine. But YOU are the only one going on about this, and I've already shown you why I took exception!

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I think if you start talking prototypical 3B, you'd want Bryant there in the long run. He's 6'5", and generally you want tall players on the corners to protect the line. That would give the Cubs 6'5" and 6'3" on the corners with Bryant and Rizzo.

Defensively, middle infield and the corners are extremely different, imo. At 3b, the arm comes into play as it's a totally different timing on the throw. At 2b, I'd think Baez's range would come into play. 3b would limit that, imo.

Generally, a great range infielder can play deep and take deeper angles, which requires a quick accurate throw as well. Generally, you would want your two best infielders with range to at SS and 2b. The double play is the biggest thing here. The best, Cub anyhow I've seen, is Rhino. The MF'er made playing 2b look easy.

Eventually, I see Russell and Baez in the middle for the Cubs. If anyone gets switched to 3b, I would bet on Castro, myself. Then Bryant would go to the outfield.

Agree with the except I expect either Russell or Castro traded. In reality I believe it will end up being Russell used to land a TOR because the Cubs are going to be good next year. If they end up trading Castro for a project arm that means they added a arm and are looking to clear payroll.

These decisions will play out with time and situation. Very hard to say anything right now.

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
Agree with the except I expect either Russell or Castro traded. In reality I believe it will end up being Russell used to land a TOR because the Cubs are going to be good next year. If they end up trading Castro for a project arm that means they added a arm and are looking to clear payroll.

These decisions will play out with time and situation. Very hard to say anything right now.

Yes, I've been a big believer that Castro could be traded for pitching in the end. I seem to be in the minority as wanting Bryant to stay ay 3b. Of course I wants what's best, however. I'll have to see him play a little before I can talk more intelligently about it, however.

Castro to me is injury prone. That's my biggest concern, plus I just don't like him. But again, we'll have to see these other guys first. You may be right about Russell being traded cuz of the timeframe, however. It'll be interesting to see what happens this off season.

It sure would be nice to see more prospects this year so we'll have something to talk about this off season.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Maybe you should look at YOURSELF. YOU seem to be the one that wants to argue with me. I'll oblige if you want! I don't care if you like my typing style on an internet MB. It seems like a petty thing to fall back onto, after saying something dumb to me.

You said something stupid to me, and accused me of something, and now you won't fess up to it. Instead, you dance around it with insults to me. Notice Fish showing you what a thankbanger is. Get it now?

I don't care if you like me, I don't care if you don't like what or how I write something. Bottom line is YOU fucked with me first, and I'll let you know about it. If you want to talk baseball, then fine. But YOU are the only one going on about this, and I've already shown you why I took exception!
Off to the ignore list you go.

theberserkfury

Liked Posts:
Yes, I've been a big believer that Castro could be traded for pitching in the end. I seem to be in the minority as wanting Bryant to stay ay 3b. Of course I wants what's best, however. I'll have to see him play a little before I can talk more intelligently about it, however.

Castro to me is injury prone. That's my biggest concern, plus I just don't like him. But again, we'll have to see these other guys first. You may be right about Russell being traded cuz of the timeframe, however. It'll be interesting to see what happens this off season.

It sure would be nice to see more prospects this year so we'll have something to talk about this off season.

A guy who's played 125 (when he was a May callup), 158, 162, 161 and 111 (so far this year) games over the last 5 seasons is injury prone...?

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
A guy who's played 125 (when he was a May callup), 158, 162, 161 and 111 (so far this year) games over the last 5 seasons is injury prone...?

Wow. I think the homerism is ridiculous in here, but that is just stupidity.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Make it rain.
rain+on.jpg

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:

Well, let's just say I don't like his body makeup moving forward. You're probably right, injury prone may have not been the best way to say that. But hey, that's my opinion. I see the guy run to first and looks like he strains a muscle all the time. Like I said, I don't really like the guy, and I don't like his movement as an infielder.

I'll add that I was thinking in the future, not the past. The guy doesn't look like he has a long term body for SS to me. Personally, I hope we trade him while he's still playing well.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

I don't see him being injury prone. Dude plays every day. That is his strongest asset.

That said this offseason should dictate what direction they go with SS. If they splurge and sign either Lester or go get Maeda then I would expect them to trade out Castro later year to offset the investment. If they do not than I expect them to use Almora and Russell to get a arm at the deadline.

Reality is Russell and Castro are SS's. Alcantara is playing Almora's spot. There has to be a trade made at some point here.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Oh and Bryant is a 3B. The clueless keep saying he is going to the OF. Being this close they would have pulled the switch. My opinion was seeing Olt suck and seeing Soler explode ended the debate.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Well, let's just say I don't like his body makeup moving forward. You're probably right, injury prone may have not been the best way to say that. But hey, that's my opinion. I see the guy run to first and looks like he strains a muscle all the time. Like I said, I don't really like the guy, and I don't like his movement as an infielder.

I'll add that I was thinking in the future, not the past. The guy doesn't look like he has a long term body for SS to me. Personally, I hope we trade him while he's still playing well.

Maybe. I would rather trade Russell and Almora for a sure fire TOR vs trading Castro for a project and plugging another project at SS.

The whole injury bit..IDK to be honest. I can see that he has aged some but with Baez and Alcantara they should give him more days off IMO. Before there was no talent to justify it.

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
I don't see him being injury prone. Dude plays every day. That is his strongest asset.

That said this offseason should dictate what direction they go with SS. If they splurge and sign either Lester or go get Maeda then I would expect them to trade out Castro later year to offset the investment. If they do not than I expect them to use Almora and Russell to get a arm at the deadline.

Reality is Russell and Castro are SS's. Alcantara is playing Almora's spot. There has to be a trade made at some point here.

Well, I admit, I'm a little biased on this one. I'm not a big Castro fan and never was. :dunno:

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
Oh and Bryant is a 3B. The clueless keep saying he is going to the OF. Being this close they would have pulled the switch. My opinion was seeing Olt suck and seeing Soler explode ended the debate.

I agree, I guess he's looked pretty good at 3b as well. I can't wait to see him. I Love his temperament and personality.

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
Maybe. I would rather trade Russell and Almora for a sure fire TOR vs trading Castro for a project and plugging another project at SS.

The whole injury bit..IDK to be honest. I can see that he has aged some but with Baez and Alcantara they should give him more days off IMO. Before there was no talent to justify it.

I suppose it'll matter what team is involved and who they want. I don't know an awful lot about Russell, but I hear he's a natural SS prospect, no? I'd much rather have an Ozzie Smith type of SS in Wrigley rather than a big hitting SS, and load up on pitchers that get a lot of ground balls. Again, I'm just not impressed with Castro at SS.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I don't think any of these kids gets traded this off season or next trade deadline...

whatever pitching they get will be VIA FA this off season whether its a TOR guy or a level under

next off season is when their going to have to make big decisions on who they want to keep and move...

who playing SS ? Russell or Castro
who playing CF ? Almora or Alcantara
who playing 3B ? Bryant Russell or Baez
who playing 2B ? Baez Russell or Alcantara
who playing LF ? Bryant Schwarber Soler Russell Baez
who playing RF ? Soler or Bryant
who Catching ? Castillo or Schwarber

they have themselves a good ugly situation going into 2015 off season, to where they need to make sure they make the right choices going forward..

reminds me of back when they had to decide between Grace and Palmiero to play 1B and they chose Grace and traded Palmeiro which got a little scrutiny because of the power numbers Palmiero was putting up ( before the steroids shit came about )..

I just don't see them making any positional trades until their forced to make a move