The Javier Baez Discussion Thread

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Vitters was called up at 22 and had a poor showing and hasn't been back since. Not saying he's for sure a failure but the thing is the path from next big thing to after thought isn't as far as people make it out to be.
That josh vitters fault for sucking ass this year in AAA and not giving himself a 2nd chance this year.

javier baez is 100 times more talented then josh vitters ever was or will be..

Again if the cubs were in a different situation team wise, I could see them using their top prospects to gain a solid needed veteran player

But given their current situation of still piecing together a core young team with baez being one of the main pieces right now, their not going to consider trading him this off season.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Im just glad we are message board heros and not GM's of major league team!

Liked Posts:
Vitters was called up at 22 and had a poor showing and hasn't been back since. Not saying he's for sure a failure but the thing is the path from next big thing to after thought isn't as far as people make it out to be. That was 2 years ago.... just sayin'

Vitters? You're joking, right? There was little to know trajectory with Vitters. Aside from being a high pick, he was pretty much just some guy. When people talked about him, it was, "is he ever going to do anything?"

When Theo came over, he made so comment about how he thought the Cubs were finally figuring out how to draft when they took Baez. Not only was that quote an endorsement of Baez but it's a condemnation of guys like Jackson and Vitters. The fact that you throw these names out there as some form of rebuttal, is laughable. You're like a guy that keeps trying but can't ever get his plane off the runway.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
That josh vitters fault for sucking ass this year in AAA and not giving himself a 2nd chance this year.

Vitters actually played well in 2013 AAA but he got hurt and time passed him by. But don't kid yourself, if Baez isn't destroying things by midseason next year you're going to start hearing questions. And frankly it's unfair to players but that's the way things go. Don't believe me, look at where guys like Jesus Montero are now. He was the #6 prospect prior to 2012.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Im just glad we are message board heros and not GM's of major league team!

As though GM's never make mistakes on their opinions. It's crap like this that annoys me because this is all an opinion. I've never stated it as undeniable fact. There's no reason to be a dick about this. As I said before, some of these players and possibly even a majority of them aren't going to make it. And undoubtedly when you make a negative comment someone's going to come at you. It's just silly.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
As though GM's never make mistakes on their opinions. It's crap like this that annoys me because this is all an opinion. I've never stated it as undeniable fact. There's no reason to be a dick about this. As I said before, some of these players and possibly even a majority of them aren't going to make it. And undoubtedly when you make a negative comment someone's going to come at you. It's just silly.

I didnt say any of that. You sure do have a problem when you think your opinion is being challenged. Calm down. Its a message board. Neither of our opinion matters anyway.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I didnt say any of that. You sure do have a problem when you think your opinion is being challenged. Calm down. Its a message board. Neither of our opinion matters anyway.

If you didn't mean it how I took it then cool but just a word of advice when you use the term "message board hero" it has a rather patronizing tone to it.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
In comparison to the actual GM/FO personnel everyone on this forum is a "message board hero". I'm not sure why anyone would get offended at someone stating the obvious.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
So there has been a definite change in approach for Baez in the past week as he is walking much more and seems to be seeing more pitches. While we are not seeing this change help his batting average, it will help his OBA and thus create more opportunities for Rizzo and Castro. If Baez realizes that he doesn't need to expand his strike zone it will make this lineup more deadly.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
He is struggling with which pitch to look for now. Once he can guess a little better it should come together.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
So there has been a definite change in approach for Baez in the past week as he is walking much more and seems to be seeing more pitches. While we are not seeing this change help his batting average, it will help his OBA and thus create more opportunities for Rizzo and Castro. If Baez realizes that he doesn't need to expand his strike zone it will make this lineup more deadly.

What will make this line up better will be more talent. We wouldn't be focusing on Baez as much because there would also be Soler and Bryant to pick him up.

These guys are going to take SO's but more times than not one will come up big that game.

I would worry too much about this years results with Baez or Alcantara. There is a learning curve gong on. We saw it with Rizzo and now he looks more complete.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Who is not being patient? OUtside of a handful of dummies calling in to B&B, I can't think of anyone who doesn't understand at this juncture why they called Baez up and what his MO is.

theberserkfury

Liked Posts:
Who is not being patient? OUtside of a handful of dummies calling in to B&B, I can't think of anyone who doesn't understand at this juncture why they called Baez up and what his MO is.

Well, besides the concerns stated here, I've seen a few articles just today about Baez's strikeout issues...

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Well, besides the concerns stated here, I've seen a few articles just today about Baez's strikeout issues...
Well, that's true. Driving home a couple of nights ago, it was clear whoever the jock was on 670 didn't understand hitting mechanics very well.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
We live in a reactionary world. Back in the day, players would take years to become good players and no one batted an eye because information wasnt at your fingertips. Now, every player needs to produce like Mike Trout or fuckos go ape shit. Baseball is a game about patience and honing ones craft. That is lost on society now a days. Its the "I want my cake and I want it now" mentality.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
Look at Rizzo's stats from his ML debut at the age of 21. All of a sudden Baez looks much better. His plate discipline is a bit worse than I expected but his overall struggles are right where I would have guessed. Would be perfect for him to work with Castro and Rizzo over the offseason because both of those guys were in the same position at one point recently.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
We live in a reactionary world. Back in the day, players would take years to become good players and no one batted an eye because information wasnt at your fingertips. Now, every player needs to produce like Mike Trout or fuckos go ape shit. Baseball is a game about patience and honing ones craft. That is lost on society now a days. Its the "I want my cake and I want it now" mentality.

Yep. Did you see that article I posted yesterday IIRC? I can't remember which thread, but it was about player development and how much time it really takes to be a MLB hitter.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Look at Rizzo's stats from his ML debut at the age of 21. All of a sudden Baez looks much better.

Not really. Rizzo was at 13.7%/30.1% bb/k rates with a .141/.281/.242. Baez is at 4.4%/44.4% with a .198/.233/.465. Additionally, consider that Rizzo was playing in Petco for his home games vs wrigley which is hitter friendly especially for someone with Baez's sort of power. Perhaps you can argue that Baez's triple slash looks better but if you're looking for future indicators a 44.4% K rate is astronomical. Brett Jackson who was notorious for that in his stint in the majors was at 41.5% over about 50 more PAs. Olt who many are ready to cast away was at 32.5% in his first stint and is 39.6% this year. Both had far superior walk rates. Even if you want to be positive on him and say he's the next Giancarlo Stanton, at 20 when he came up he was at 8.6%/31.1%.

I hate beating a dead horse but to act like it's no big deal is naive. The difference between someone like Rizzo and Baez is even if Baez knocks off 10% in K's like Rizzo has he's still at 34% which is horrible. To get where Baez needs to be in order to be effective isn't a small incremental change. He basically needs to cut off 20% off his K's and preferably more. That's not to say that it's impossible for him to change but it's not an encouraging sign. Even if you look at historically great/good high K players like Jim Thome, Sammy Sosa, Mike Cameron, Jay Buhner, Danny Tartabull, Adam Dunn, Dan Uggla, Justin Upton, Mike Napoli, Ray Lankford, Jose Canseco, B.J. Upton, Matt Kemp, Gorman Thomas, and Dave Kingman none of them ever posted a season(even partial) at 40% or higher K rate and most didn't post 35% or higher.

Seriously, take a look at this list of players.
http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...rost=0&age=0&filter=19508&players=0&sort=11,d

This is a list of players who've posted more than 30% K rate since 1994 who are not pitchers and have minimum of 70 plate appearances. The best positive comparison I see is Jose Bautista(2004 age 23 7.3%/41.7% with .205/.263/.239). Bautista was a player who disappointed for 6 seasons and finally broke through. There's a couple of other potential star level players on there in Dunn a few times, Bo Jackson, Chris Davis, Mark Reynolds, Ray Lankford, and Ryan Howard but keep in mind this wasn't a small selection of data. It's 20 years and most of those players had seasons at the lower end of the 30% scale. Even if you go back to 1950 and just look at rookies, Dave Duncan(47.2%) is the only player who had a higher K rate than he currently has and only Duncan, Baez, Brandon Hicks, Ron Karkovice, Jose Bautista, Brett Jackson, Jackie Warner, Dave Nicholson, Jack Cust, and Billy Bryan have had k rates over 40% with minimum 70 PAs. I guess my point here is this isn't just normal rookies being rookies. It is historically high. And if that doesn't worry you then I'm not sure what does.

As an aside, Bo Jackson seems like an interesting comparison I've not heard many people make. Jackson was more of a spectacle but Baez is probably going to be a must watch type because you never know when he'll hit a ridiculous homer. Bo Jackson's rookie season was 91 PAs, 7.7%/37.4% with .207/.286/.329. I feel like if you want to talk top end on Baez that Jackson's 1989 season where he hit .256/.310/.495 with 7.0%/30.7% walk/k rate, 32 homers, 26 SB and 105 RBIs is what you should expect. Maybe you talk about a tick or two more homers and a few less SB as Jackson was a phenomenal runner and Baez isn't quite that good SB wise.

That being said, the path between where Baez is and that season isn't a short sail. You're gambling that like Bo Jackson Baez becomes that player and not the numerous other players on that list that you've probably never heard of or don't care about because they were busts. When I talk about trading Baez or about him negatively at all it's not that I don't see the possibility that he could be someone like Bo Jackson. What I see is the vast list of players who haven't succeeded as that type of player. And when you talk about the current trade value he has and what he could potentially net you in a trade that are likely far less risky it just seems like it might be a smarter play to me even given Baez's top end especially when you consider the more than adequate options the cubs have to replace him.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Anyone else paying attention to Baez AB, specifically his feet..

I noticed his back foot looked awkward on his swing and just kept watch on it during his ABs.. noticed his stride was longer and back foot looked as if it were stepping in the bucket..

Went back n looked at a couple of his HRs and of course saw a shorter stride and better footing with back foot..

His next Ab tell me if you all notice anything