The Javier Baez Discussion Thread

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Lol. . I have chuckle whenever I read the words " when the league catch up to the pitchers".. Arrieta been here all year still pitching great and Hendricks and Wada been chugging along for 2 monrhs now, still looking good..
These guys have 2-3 more starts left, league about run out of time to catch up to them this year..

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lol. . I have chuckle whenever I read the words " when the league catch up to the pitchers".. Arrieta been here all year still pitching great and Hendricks and Wada been chugging along for 2 monrhs now, still looking good..
These guys have 2-3 more starts left, league about run out of time to catch up to them this year..

All 3 will regress next year. Wada shouldnt even be in the rotation next year. Arrieta has the best shot at staying around the same. Hendricks isnt going to put a line up like that next year.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
All 3 will regress next year. Wada shouldnt even be in the rotation next year. Arrieta has the best shot at staying around the same. Hendricks isnt going to put a line up like that next year.
I think wada will get dealt..

Sure they might regress some, but I think their good enough to be solid major league starters and not fall off the map. .

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

Nostradamus Post of the Day Award.

czman

Liked Posts:
They are playing .500 ball since May something. Why will they need 3 seasons to be a threat for a decent playoff run?

The division is not as strong as it once was. Additionally, while the young players have struggles, they don't all struggle at the same time. It would take some extraordinary circumstances for them not to be better than Barney/Olt/Lake/Jackson/Veras next season. That puts them in the playoff hunt. Note: I said "hunt", not "taking the league by storm."

Being in the playoff hunt is not the same as being in the playoffs, something a team has to do to be a threat for a decent playoff run. I am not going to argue semantics, which is what this will dissolve into.

I think Cubs can be 500 next season and that means they will be in the hunt I guess.

What I stated was the following:
the truth is the Cubs will probably need 2-3 more seasons of seasoning for the young players before they really become a threat.

To me a threat means you make the playoffs and can win a series. If you think they can do that next season we can agree to disagree. Hanging around and missing the playoffs by ~5 games is not a threat to me. Everyone has a different idea of what a threat means.

czman

Liked Posts:

Arreita will pitch ~160 innings this season and only faced one team more than twice this season so far, I think. He has been very good, but I don't think he will carry a sub 3 era next year.

Hendricks and Wada are both below 65 innings. We are talking about guys who will be under 300 innings at the end of the season pitching close to 600 innings next year. The league will have a lot more time to look at tendencies, if they are tipping pitches, release points, ect.

I sure hope I am wrong and the Cubs win the division. I just don't see it yet.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Arreita will pitch ~160 innings this season and only faced one team more than twice this season so far, I think. He has been very good, but I don't think he will carry a sub 3 era next year.

Hendricks and Wada are both below 65 innings. We are talking about guys who will be under 300 innings at the end of the season pitching close to 600 innings next year. The league will have a lot more time to look at tendencies, if they are tipping pitches, release points, ect.

:clap: Great post!

chibears55

Liked Posts:

And ???

They will also have all off season to adjust and fix whatever needs to be fixxed..

Im sure if they have these " tendencies" , they and bosio are smart enough to notice themselves and adjust over the offseason. .

Nobody knows how these guy will come back next year, just think its silly to think their automatically going to struggle and fall off the map just because they only faced teams once or twice this year.
Just as it silly to think they will automatically be lights out next season. .

Like I said above, if they just become consistent solid starters ill be happy. .

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Being in the playoff hunt is not the same as being in the playoffs, something a team has to do to be a threat for a decent playoff run. I am not going to argue semantics, which is what this will dissolve into.

I think Cubs can be 500 next season and that means they will be in the hunt I guess.

What I stated was the following:
the truth is the Cubs will probably need 2-3 more seasons of seasoning for the young players before they really become a threat.

To me a threat means you make the playoffs and can win a series. If you think they can do that next season we can agree to disagree. Hanging around and missing the playoffs by ~5 games is not a threat to me. Everyone has a different idea of what a threat means.
You "think the cubs can be .500 next season?" Holy shit. Outside of the horrible start in April they have been .500 this season. The team is likely adding a stick in LF and a TOR. The point of being in the hunt for the playoffs is that once you are there, anything can happen.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
And ???

They will also have all off season to adjust and fix whatever needs to be fixxed..

Im sure if they have these " tendencies" , they and bosio are smart enough to notice themselves and adjust over the offseason. .

Nobody knows how these guy will come back next year, just think its silly to think their automatically going to struggle and fall off the map just because they only faced teams once or twice this year.

Like I said above, if they just become consistent solid starters ill be happy. .
It doesn't work that way.

Why look for what ain't broke?

czman

Liked Posts:
And ???

Just about all players struggle at some point in their first few years at the ML level. I am not calling the Jackson, but I suspect that they will not pitch ~200 innings with a sub 3 ERA.

I am not sure what you are railing against. I did not say they would fall off. I said:
Even the best prospects are going to struggle. Trout struggled this season a bit and Puig is struggling right now.

and

Inherently though this is the problem with putting so much emphasis on young players. Fans are so tired of losing that they look at young players as saviors, when they should be looked at as projects who will need time (seasons) to adjust to the ML level. I know no one wants to hear patience after being told to be patient for years, but the truth is the Cubs will probably need 2-3 more seasons of seasoning for the young players before they really become a threat.

Exactly what part of this do you have a serious problem with.

This is exactly why I post so rarely, the literacy level on sports message boards is very low. To many people looking for an argument and an opportunity to to have righteous indignation.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Likely????

OK
So what are the odds against it? What are they doing in the off-season in the FO? You think they plan on sitting on what they have? This is just another poorly thought out post on your part.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
This is exactly why I post so rarely, the literacy level on sports message boards is very low. To many people looking for an argument and an opportunity to to have righteous indignation.

:turrible:

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
So what are the odds against it? What are they doing in the off-season in the FO? You think they plan on sitting on what they have? This is just another poorly thought out post on your part.

Whatever helps you out. It's all likely that they'll land any and every missing part. I don't know why the other 29 teams even try anymore.

Unless you are trolling in which, you got me, this is by far the DUMBEST thing you've said. Likely? :LOL:

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Whatever helps you out. It's all likely that they'll land any and every missing part. I don't know why the other 29 teams even try anymore.

Unless you are trolling in which, you got me, this is by far the DUMBEST thing you've said. Likely? :LOL:
What are the odds and who has the available payroll?

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I honestly don't think the cubs will be that much better than .500 next season. I could see them being in the hunt for much longer than this season but my honest opinion is unless they get off to a very good start they will struggle through some periods where young team being young and slumps. I suggested them as a 70-75 win team this year. I believe next year you're talking something like 75-80 wins.

The comment I've mad for awhile now is the comparison to the Royals. 2010 was the year that they had "the greatest farm system ever." In 2011 they won 71 games, 2012 was 72, last year was 86 and this year they are pace for 90. If we assume 2013 was similar to the 67 wins KC had in 2010 and this year is similar to 2011, then you're looking at 75ish wins next year and a bigger step forward the yer after.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I honestly don't think the cubs will be that much better than .500 next season. I could see them being in the hunt for much longer than this season but my honest opinion is unless they get off to a very good start they will struggle through some periods where young team being young and slumps. I suggested them as a 70-75 win team this year. I believe next year you're talking something like 75-80 wins.

The comment I've mad for awhile now is the comparison to the Royals. 2010 was the year that they had "the greatest farm system ever." In 2011 they won 71 games, 2012 was 72, last year was 86 and this year they are pace for 90. If we assume 2013 was similar to the 67 wins KC had in 2010 and this year is similar to 2011, then you're looking at 75ish wins next year and a bigger step forward the yer after.

That seems fair and reasonable