The Javier Baez Discussion Thread

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

Grant (Toronto)

Saw Soler and Baez play this week, easy to see why the accolades are so high. Soler looks really good, but Baez's swing looked really long, any concerns or is this just a young hitter learning at the big league level?

Klaw (2:31 PM)

It's not long so much as it's fast - you may have been disoriented by the boom created when he broke the sound barrier. He doesn't adjust at all to pitch/location/situation, and that will have to improve.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Grant (Toronto)

Saw Soler and Baez play this week, easy to see why the accolades are so high. Soler looks really good, but Baez's swing looked really long, any concerns or is this just a young hitter learning at the big league level?

Klaw (2:31 PM)

It's not long so much as it's fast - you may have been disoriented by the boom created when he broke the sound barrier. He doesn't adjust at all to pitch/location/situation, and that will have to improve.

So the AC for Wrigley is getting removed? :)

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
NAh, but you may see a building blow up when he hits a GlenAllen Hill type shot! Its coming, oh, its coming!

I could see a window get broken when he connects cleanly to one. He certainly has freakish power, but that won't be enough.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I dont think it happens. So many amazing power hitters have come into that park year after year and nothing is close to the hill shot.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Still too early but his trade value has taken a slightly bigger hit with his play

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Still too early but his trade value has taken a slightly bigger hit with his play

You keep saying that but it hasn't. I have shown scouts. Everyone expected even me who is a Baez lover

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
You keep saying that but it hasn't. I have shown scouts. Everyone expected even me who is a Baez lover

It has. To date he's proven he can't hit major league pitching or make adjustments. He was worth more prior to his call up. Debate that truth all you want

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
It has. To date he's proven he can't hit major league pitching or make adjustments. He was worth more prior to his call up. Debate that truth all you want

No one and I repeat no one takes a 200 bat sample as the gospel. Everyone expected this. He does this 600 to a 1000 bats in then you are talking a value loss. Keith law who has had his reservations about him even said everyone expected this. He has lost ok value. It's why he was called up. It's also why you don't take Soler line as being a future star. It's not enough of a sample

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
No one and I repeat no one takes a 200 bat sample as the gospel. Everyone expected this. He does this 600 to a 1000 bats in then you are talking a value loss. Keith law who has had his reservations about him even said everyone expected this. He has lost ok value. It's why he was called up. It's also why you don't take Soler line as being a future star. It's not enough of a sample

At 600-1000 at bats its called bust

Glad u admit he's lost value

chibears55

Liked Posts:
He lost trade value ? ok

I doubt the cubs had any thought of trading him, so what does it really matter if he lost trade value now

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
Rizzo didn't swing and miss this badly but his overall statistics were very similar in his first call-up. If he struggles like this all of next season, there is a big problem but not yet