The official around the MLB thread!

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I thought Scoot was going to make a world series thread. I must have not gave him the go ahead when he asked me. He makes fancy threads Epic game so far. Ill get him to do it tom. if he doesn't mind.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
For a team who's future looked so bright a year ago Washington at this point can't do anything right. The choose a manager and then piss him off in contract negotiations and wind up with Dusty effing Baker? Good luck with that.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
For a team who's future looked so bright a year ago Washington at this point can't do anything right. The choose a manager and then piss him off in contract negotiations and wind up with Dusty effing Baker? Good luck with that.

Agreed it was a mistake for Black. I can see Bud getting wooed by the Dodgers.

As for Baker, he's not as bad as some people make him out to be. They place way too much blame on his shoulders IMO.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Agreed it was a mistake for Black. I can see Bud getting wooed by the Dodgers.

As for Baker, he's not as bad as some people make him out to be. They place way too much blame on his shoulders IMO.

No, I think he's every bit as bad. I think his philosophies on the game are dated and his teams are generally unlikable because he enables them to be that way. Putting Bryce Harper in his hands could go very badly. That kid needs someone that can guide him. Dusty ain't that.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
No, I think he's every bit as bad. I think his philosophies on the game are dated and his teams are generally unlikable because he enables them to be that way. Putting Bryce Harper in his hands could go very badly. That kid needs someone that can guide him. Dusty ain't that.

I hear what you are saying. You think he can't handle the "new way" of baseball and I disagree. We shall see what happens. He's one of the greats when it comes to managing baseball. Let's see if he can handle it.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
I hear what you are saying. You think he can't handle the "new way" of baseball and I disagree. We shall see what happens. He's one of the greats when it comes to managing baseball. Let's see if he can handle it.

Dusty has won wherever he has managed, and did it in a short amount of time whether it be in SF, Chicago, or Cinci.

Teams could do a lot worse, and Washington appears to have a small window given the free agents that will probably be leaving shortly.

He is a good fit for them.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Dusty has won wherever he has managed, and did it in a short amount of time whether it be in SF, Chicago, or Cinci.

Teams could do a lot worse, and Washington appears to have a small window given the free agents that will probably be leaving shortly.

He is a good fit for them.

Hey what do I know? He's not Matt Williams and the supremely moronic Ned Yost just won a World Series. I guess I wouldn't be surprised to see Dusty do the same.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

Watch them beat out the Mets for the east title next year. Then watch Strasburg and Scherzer's arms fall off.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
His guys play for him...I guess that's all you can ask for. He acquired the reputation of being a pitching staff destroyer here with the Cubs....not sure that was fair given the fact that both Wood and Pryor turned out to be brittle their whole career. That being said....if I'm Stephen Strasburg, I still might be a bit worried.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
The word "great" is overused. He has never won a WS. He hasn't taken less talent and made them better. He's certainly had an above average career, but that does not equal "great".

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
The word "great" is overused. He has never won a WS. He hasn't taken less talent and made them better. He's certainly had an above average career, but that does not equal "great".

16th alltime in wins and in the top three (IIRC) for both the Giants and Reds in wins. Three MOY awards and three 2nd MOY finishes. All that puts it in the great category for me.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
16th alltime in wins and in the top three (IIRC) for both the Giants and Reds in wins. Three MOY awards and three 2nd MOY finishes. All that puts it in the great category for me.

If he goes barely over .500 for two years which he should do, he will then surpass Leyland and Piniella.

I hope he does really well. If he does, then more than likely he will have beat out the Mets. :)

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
According to you managers don't help teams win games. ;)

From a W-L% standpoint he is 77th. That kind of puts things into perspective when discussing the not so small market teams he's managed.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
If he goes barely over .500 for two years which he should do, he will then surpass Leyland and Piniella.

I hope he does really well. If he does, then more than likely he will have beat out the Mets. :)
Surpass Leyland? LOL. Leyland has 3 Pennants and a WS title. Lou also has a WS title. Number of wins is about how many years someone manages in the game, not greatness. That makes about as much sense as applauding a player for 3000 hits when hit #3000 comes when they are 45 and they were in the league at 19. In 20 years of managing, Dusty has 1 pennant. He needs to get a WS title before he surpasses either Leyland or Piniella in level of "greatness". To put that in perspective, Maddon has managed for 10 full seasons (not counting 2 different temporary stints with Angels) and has equaled Baker's number of Pennants. Championships matter.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
According to you managers don't help teams win games. ;)

From a W-L% standpoint he is 77th. That kind of puts things into perspective when discussing the not so small market teams he's managed.

Correct, they do not. But bad managers aren't kept around to win as many games as he has. :)

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Surpass Leyland? LOL. Leyland has 3 Pennants and a WS title. Lou also has a WS title. Number of wins is about how many years someone manages in the game, not greatness. That makes about as much sense as applauding a player for 3000 hits when hit #3000 comes when they are 45 and they were in the league at 19. In 20 years of managing, Dusty has 1 pennant. He needs to get a WS title before he surpasses either Leyland or Piniella in level of "greatness". To put that in perspective, Maddon has managed for 10 full seasons (not counting 2 different temporary stints with Angels) and has equaled Baker's number of Pennants. Championships matter.

But so do wins. A bad manager would never accumulate as many wins as Baker. Him being 16th all time shows that.

But yes, making the playoffs matters as well.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
And just so you know, Brett05, Sparky Anderson has more losses than Dusty Baker. Sparky Anderson was the superior manager. Championships matter. ;)

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
No. Making the playoffs does not matter. Winning the playoffs matters.

I agree to a point. Sometimes it takes multiple tries to win one so a record of making the playoffs many times with a win or two is respectable. Never winning a World Series while employed by 2 major market teams and a small market team all of which spent money also matters. I'm with you, I just can't call this guy a great manager.