The official around the MLB thread!

TL1961

Liked Posts:
It depends on how much in house answers they are looking at.

Closer I believe is not needed. Rondon has been pretty solid. Ramirez should be back. They have a arb option on Strop. Grimm. It is not even a priority.

I would rank it as: CF needs to be addressed first. That impacts the team every day. With out Fowler the team has no lead off. I know they need a SP but that affects the team 1 out of 5. And we have seen Maddon pull off bull pen days that turn out better than Hammel starts. Go figure.

So my opinion is they need to settle CF before they make a decision on a SP. There is depth in options for a starter. CF the pickings are slim.

I don't know what Theo will end up doing. If I had to guess it would be rush job Almora in AAA and start him up by May. I would extend Fowler for a few years and trade Almora myself. Almora is not a lead off.

Worst thing he could do is offer a 1 year to Jackson. He has too much swing and miss to his game to product a stable OBA.

I just have the feeling that Theo will go hard after Price. Cut some unneeded contract and put a temp CF solution until Almora is ready. Coghlan and Denorfia.

Outside chance that they move either Baez or Castro to CF. Very outside chance.

Cubs pen blew a lot of games early in the year. They blew a game in a critical series against St Louis in Sept. They have good arms, but by no means do they have the shut down closer one needs.

The difference in blown saves is pretty much the difference in the division right now.

And I am looking at what they need to win in the postseason.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Cubs pen blew a lot of games early in the year. They blew a game in a critical series against St Louis in Sept. They have good arms, but by no means do they have the shut down closer one needs.

The difference in blown saves is pretty much the difference in the division right now.

And I am looking at what they need to win in the postseason.

They can trade for that at the deadline if it is a issue. They need a starter and a CF.

It is about filling a void vs a upgrade. Need vs want.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
In another piece from Mooney, he notes that Kris Bryant‘s versatility could be a great help to the Cubs in their offseason plans. The rookie played at four positions (first, third, center field and right field) on Monday night and he’s also played six games in left field this season. Bryant has an above-average UZR/150 at every position he’s played, though obviously the sample sizes are too limited (except for his 1177 1/3 innings at third base) to declare that he can adequately handle any of these spots around the field. Still, Mooney opines that Bryant could potentially handle a position like center field on a short-term basis for a year if the Cubs need a bridge between Dexter Fowler and a prospect like Albert Almora.

This would only work if they plan on fast tracking Almora past AAA. It is not out side of the norm as getting him under Maddon's wing would benefit him more than soaking meaningless innings in AAA. If we were talking about a manager like Lou then I would not agree with it. The culture is already set up for the final maturing process on the major league team.

Ya know the only guy that "fits" on this team is David Price. The more I think about it Price makes the most sense. The rotation would end up Price, Arrieta, Lester, and either Hammel or Hendricks. Instead of running 4 RH starters in a row. As it is we are hoping for a good start outside of Jake every day. No one can expect to win anything built like that.

I have a feeling that they will make it happen and worry about it later. This org has the ability to continuously produce talent and the market to support it.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
This would only work if they plan on fast tracking Almora past AAA. It is not out side of the norm as getting him under Maddon's wing would benefit him more than soaking meaningless innings in AAA. If we were talking about a manager like Lou then I would not agree with it. The culture is already set up for the final maturing process on the major league team.

Ya know the only guy that "fits" on this team is David Price. The more I think about it it keeps pointing back to him. I have a feeling that they will make it happen and worry about it later. This org has the ability to continuously produce talent and the market to support it.

If they sign Price, which I still doubt, I think that's a sign that they don't think they can sign Arrieta after 2017. Then it begs the question would they trade Jake next offseason to get a nice package in return without simply losing him for the compensatory pick. I really seriously doubt that they're going to lock up $90 million or so per on 3 starting pitchers, and I'm someone that thinks that they're budget is going to be in the $170 million range before long.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

Ya know the only guy that "fits" on this team is David Price. The more I think about it Price makes the most sense. The rotation would end up Price, Arrieta, Lester, and either Hammel or Hendricks. Instead of running 4 RH starters in a row. As it is we are hoping for a good start outside of Jake every day. No one can expect to win anything built like that.

I have a feeling that they will make it happen and worry about it later. This org has the ability to continuously produce talent and the market to support it.
They aren't going to make Arrieta a number 2 behind Price after the past two years. I get that the list may have been for LH, RH, LH, but Arrieta is the Opening Night starter in 2016 no matter who they sign.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
They aren't going to make Arrieta a number 2 behind Price after the past two years. I get that the list may have been for LH, RH, LH, but Arrieta is the Opening Night starter in 2016 no matter who they sign.

Especially knowing Joe Maddon would make that decision. He's all about respect to the guys that perform for him. To not start Arrieta on opening day in 2016 would be disrespect, however subtle you might think it is.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I get that but you are discounting Jake as a person. he has all read been on Twitter on this subject and pulled a lol on the thought that David would be a number 3. Add to it David responded: that is why I love you Jake.

Those 2 go back to their college days. Add to it Maddon is David's old coach. End of the day they are going to do what makes to most sense vs having their ego's dictate things.
Also just adding David doesn't mean Jake will be short term anyways. I believe he has a 8 year window to perform at this level. I was looking at it as how Eck was when he found himself. Late domination. I see them giving him a deal also. But it would have to be fueled by the tv deal.

The thing is this team will generate cash. They did it with a shitty team and infrastructure. You make both sides state of the art then we are talking a franchisee that parallels the Dodgers, Yanks and Red Sox.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Love that stuff

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I've come up with a 129.75 payroll with Price.

Price: 20
Lester: 25
Arrieta: 15
Montero: 14
Hammel: 9
Castro: 7
Rizzo: 5
Soler: 3
Strop: 3
Coghlan: 3
Ross: 2.25
Rondon: 2.25
Grimm: 2.25
--------------
13 players. Have to add 13 mil to pay off Jackson. Then add 12 players pre arb. about 6 mil for them comes up to 129.75. If guys like Cog or Strop want more cash then trade them. Not worth soaking up payroll on depth players.

Contract on Price: 7 year 200 mil: 20,25,35,40,35,25,20

CSF77

Liked Posts:
With the Yankees’ offseason now underway, Joel Sherman of the New York Post breaks down the team’s needs, specifically mentioning rotation stability and versatility. While he notes that in the George Steinbrenner days, lavish spending to bring in names such as David Price, Ben Zobrist and Yoenis Cespedes might’ve been the expectation, but Hal Steinbrenner has no interest in pushing an already-high payroll toward the $300MM mark. The younger Steinbrenner also doesn’t wish to dole out any further mega-contracts until some of the large, existing contracts come off the books. As such, Sherman writes that we can likely rule out an earnest pursuit of David Price. Signing Price for $30MM annually — and Price may command even more than that — would cost the Yankees $45MM annually in the deal’s early stages due to luxury tax purposes. Sherman suggests that instead, making a strong push to acquire Sonny Gray (listing Aaron Judge, Jorge Mateo and Gary Sanchez as possible trade chips) is a better fit for the Yankees. Sherman also feels that trades for Martin Prado and/or Enrique Hernandez as well as a signing of Zobrist would give the Yanks a deep, versatile crop of players to keep aging veterans fresh and match up well against pitchers regardless of handedness.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Team to watch this off season:

Per the MLBTR Transaction Tracker, Dombrowski’s history indicates that he is more likely to acquire a big-name starter via trade rather than via free agency. Though the 2015-16 free agent pitching market is deep with top-tier starters and includes one name (David Price) that Dombrowski has already gone out of his way to acquire before, it remains to be seen if Red Sox ownership has changed its stance about not giving expensive long-term contracts to pitchers in their 30s. It was just a year ago, remember, that this stance ultimately led to Jon Lester leaving town.

If the Sox aren’t willing to go beyond five or maybe even four years for an ace, it’s not going to help them land the likes of Price, Jordan Zimmermann or Johnny Cueto, all of whom could realistically find six-year deals on the open market. Zack Greinke might be amenable to a five-year deal since he’s about to turn 32, though would Boston then spend over $125MM for a pitcher’s age 32-36 seasons, even an elite pitcher like Greinke?

In the September 23rd edition of the MLBTR Newsletter, MLBTR’s Tim Dierkes made the case that one of Carlos Carrasco, Sonny Gray, Matt Harvey, Chris Sale or Stephen Strasburg could be dealt this offseason, even though there’s no current evidence that any are being shopped. (Gray’s availability, in particular, has been emphatically denied.) Carrasco stands out as an intriguing option since Boston discussed him in trade talks last summer, though Cleveland was said to be just gauging Carrasco’s value rather than actually trying to deal him. If the Indians have a (sure to be high) price in mind for what it would take to obtain Carrasco, they could explore deals this winter. One would certainly expect Boston to at least check in on Carrasco and any of the aforementioned starters should they be made available, plus any other front-of-the-rotation pitchers whose teams could be open to trades.

Dombrowski and Hazen have lots of options if they want to trade for an ace given the number of quality prospects within the Red Sox system. Boston’s top six prospects are all ranked in MLB.com’s current listing of the top 100 minor leaguers in baseball, not to mention several other recent first-rounders that didn’t make the top-100 cut. It’s also possible the Red Sox could deal one of their current starters in a trade for a top-of-the-rotation arm, since the Sox are in the somewhat curious position of both lacking in top-tier starters while also having a bit of a rotation logjam.

The Sox rotation was unquestionably one of the game’s poorest in the first few months of the 2015 season, yet for the year as a whole, Red Sox starters finished a respectable 13th in starter fWAR (11.9) among all 30 teams. The rotation had a 4.75 ERA in the first half and a 3.99 ERA in the second half, though the peripheral numbers were mostly the same on both sides of the All-Star break. It’s no surprise that the starters’ numbers began to look a lot better once Boston upgraded its defense, so it’s possible the Sox already have something close to a playoff-contender rotation already, especially if Clay Buchholz is healthy. (His $13MM club option is seen as a virtual lock to be exercised.)

The 2016 rotation shapes up as Buchholz, impressive rookie Eduardo Rodriguez and Rick Porcello, whose $82MM extension kicks in next season. Porcello is one of the arms who performed better in the second half, though it’s highly unlikely other teams will explore trades for him given his rough first half and that big pay bump. That leaves Wade Miley, Joe Kelly and Henry Owens competing for two spots, and quite possibly just one spot should Boston indeed acquire an ace. The highly-touted Owens would be a big trade chip, and while Kelly and Miley both had their share of struggles in 2015, Kelly is just entering his arbitration years while Miley is owed a not-exorbitant $15.25MM through 2017. Pairing Kelly or Miley with a couple of blue chip prospects would certainly be enough to get the ball rolling on trade talks. Rich Hill surprisingly exploded back onto the scene in MLB with four impressive late-season starts, so Boston could explore re-signing the veteran to add some more depth.

It’s also possible the Red Sox could use some of their surplus arms in the bullpen, with Kelly in particular having been mentioned by some pundits as perhaps better suited to relief work. Sox relievers ranked 26th in ERA (4.25), 29th in xFIP (4.36) and dead last in both FIP (4.64) and fWAR (-1.5) last season, indicating some vast room for improvement. Koji Uehara will return as closer after putting up more strong numbers in his age-40 season, though it remains to be seen if he’ll still be as effective after suffering a fractured wrist last August.

Lefties Robbie Ross and Tommy Layne and righties Junichi Tazawa and Koji Uehara are all slated to return, while veteran southpaw Craig Breslow could be let go in free agency. Aside from Uehara’s injury-shortened season, though, there were no dominant campaigns in the Sox bullpen. Sub-par bullpens plagued Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit, and now he’ll have to upgrade another flawed relief corps in his new job.

Around the diamond, the Red Sox are more or less set at every position thanks to a wealth of young players who emerged last season. Beyond stalwarts David Ortiz and Dustin Pedroia, shortstop Xander Bogaerts and center fielder Mookie Betts stepped up as very productive everyday Major Leaguers and could be future superstars. Injuries opened the door for Blake Swihart to make his big league debut a bit earlier than expected and the catcher fared respectably well in his rookie season. Jackie Bradley enjoyed an absolutely torrid month (1.361 OPS in 102 PA from August 6 to September 7) after regaining an everyday outfield job, so if he can find a middle ground between that unsustainable production and his below-replacement numbers in 2014, he can easily keep a starting job thanks to his outstanding glove. Rusney Castillo is still a work in progress at the plate, though the Cuban outfielder also possesses a tremendous glove and should at least see part-time duty, possibly in a platoon with Brock Holt.

While these young players all contributed, however, it was most of Boston’s veteran core that let the club down last season. Shane Victorino and Mike Napoli were both traded, while Pablo Sandoval and Hanley Ramirez remain the two biggest scapegoats for the 2015 season. Sandoval has rebounded from poor seasons before (he had a 1.2 fWAR season in 2010 sandwiched in between 5.2 fWAR and 5.3 fWAR, respectively) though that was five years ago and his 2010 campaign wasn’t nearly as rough as his sub-replacement performance in 2015.

Sandoval, at least, has a set position at third base. Ramirez doesn’t even have that luxury, as the Sox removed him from the left field job after one of the worst defensive seasons in recent memory. With Ortiz locked in at DH, Ramirez has been working out at first base in an effort to find a spot to play, though it’s an open question whether he’ll be able to handle the position (and if Ramirez plays first, that blocks 25-year-old Travis Shaw, who delivered a strong rookie season). There is hope that Sandoval and Ramirez could rebound with better fitness, though there have also been whispers that Boston coaches aren’t pleased with Ramirez’s overall effort level.

Could Sandoval or Ramirez be traded this offseason? I’m sure Dombrowski and Hazen will put feelers out, though both players’ stock could hardly be lower. Ramirez’s defense will further limit his market, since it’s hard to imagine an NL club would be comfortable putting him anywhere in the field without the DH spot as a fallback. Unless there’s something to these rumors of enmity between Ramirez and the coaching staff, it’s probably unlikely that Boston would outright release Ramirez or make a salary-eating trade to get him off the roster just yet. The Sox could try him at first base in 2016 and if that still doesn’t work, slide him into the DH role in 2017 if Ortiz retires.

Holt is almost a one-man bench by himself, giving the Sox lots of flexibility as they look for backups. They’ll probably be in the market for at least one bench player to go with Holt, Shaw, Deven Marrero as a utility infielder and the backup catcher. Christian Vazquez should be recovered from Tommy John surgery and veteran Ryan Hanigan is still under contract, so there could be a Spring Training battle to see who will be Swihart’s understudy, or a trade could be in the works. Vazquez himself was a highly-touted prospect before his injury, particularly on defense; if he proves himself as healthy in the spring, he would draw attention from several teams looking for a long-term answer behind the plate.

One of the club’s biggest questions for 2016 was answered when the Red Sox announced that John Farrell would indeed return as manager. Interim skipper Torey Lovullo signed a two-year contract to return to his bench coach role (and forgo any manager offers from other teams this winter), so the Sox have a trusted option in place should Farrell have a setback in his recovery from lymphoma. Another update about Farrell’s health will come later this month, and hopefully Farrell will have a clear path to a return on Opening Day.

Dombrowski faces an interesting challenge in taking over a Red Sox team that clearly has a lot of talent on the Major and minor league levels, yet has greatly underachieved over the last two seasons. Hiring Hazen is an acknowledgement of that player development and (partial) player acquisition success, though getting sustained results on the field has been a challenge in the post-Theo Epstein era. Dombrowski’s history as a front office executive has been filled with creative transactions that worked swimmingly well for his teams, and since he’s armed with both a loaded farm system and a luxury tax-level payroll to play with, the first Red Sox offseason under the new regime could be a busy one.

PickSix

Liked Posts:

--------------
13 players. Have to add 13 mil to pay off Jackson. Then add 12 players pre arb. about 6 mil for them comes up to 129.75. If guys like Cog or Strop want more cash then trade them. Not worth soaking up payroll on depth players.

Apologies if discussed in one of the too long for me to read posts, but what is your plan with Fowler/CF?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Apologies if discussed in one of the too long for me to read posts, but what is your plan with Fowler/CF?

Theo will offer a 1 year. Most likely he will opt for a mult and move on. No one has ever taken the Q-offer,

I believe the early plan is Baez at 3B and Bryant at CF until Almora is ready. Not a fan but I expect Almora on the team early.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:

--------------

Creative, but Price will get at a minimum the $28 million per up front from multiple teams if not more.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Team to watch this off season:

Per the MLBTR Transaction Tracker, Dombrowski’s history indicates that he is more likely to acquire a big-name starter via trade rather than via free agency. Though the 2015-16 free agent pitching market is deep with top-tier starters and includes one name (David Price) that Dombrowski has already gone out of his way to acquire before, it remains to be seen if Red Sox ownership has changed its stance about not giving expensive long-term contracts to pitchers in their 30s. It was just a year ago, remember, that this stance ultimately led to Jon Lester leaving town.

If the Sox aren’t willing to go beyond five or maybe even four years for an ace, it’s not going to help them land the likes of Price, Jordan Zimmermann or Johnny Cueto, all of whom could realistically find six-year deals on the open market. Zack Greinke might be amenable to a five-year deal since he’s about to turn 32, though would Boston then spend over $125MM for a pitcher’s age 32-36 seasons, even an elite pitcher like Greinke?

In the September 23rd edition of the MLBTR Newsletter, MLBTR’s Tim Dierkes made the case that one of Carlos Carrasco, Sonny Gray, Matt Harvey, Chris Sale or Stephen Strasburg could be dealt this offseason, even though there’s no current evidence that any are being shopped. (Gray’s availability, in particular, has been emphatically denied.) Carrasco stands out as an intriguing option since Boston discussed him in trade talks last summer, though Cleveland was said to be just gauging Carrasco’s value rather than actually trying to deal him. If the Indians have a (sure to be high) price in mind for what it would take to obtain Carrasco, they could explore deals this winter. One would certainly expect Boston to at least check in on Carrasco and any of the aforementioned starters should they be made available, plus any other front-of-the-rotation pitchers whose teams could be open to trades.

Dombrowski and Hazen have lots of options if they want to trade for an ace given the number of quality prospects within the Red Sox system. Boston’s top six prospects are all ranked in MLB.com’s current listing of the top 100 minor leaguers in baseball, not to mention several other recent first-rounders that didn’t make the top-100 cut. It’s also possible the Red Sox could deal one of their current starters in a trade for a top-of-the-rotation arm, since the Sox are in the somewhat curious position of both lacking in top-tier starters while also having a bit of a rotation logjam.

The Sox rotation was unquestionably one of the game’s poorest in the first few months of the 2015 season, yet for the year as a whole, Red Sox starters finished a respectable 13th in starter fWAR (11.9) among all 30 teams. The rotation had a 4.75 ERA in the first half and a 3.99 ERA in the second half, though the peripheral numbers were mostly the same on both sides of the All-Star break. It’s no surprise that the starters’ numbers began to look a lot better once Boston upgraded its defense, so it’s possible the Sox already have something close to a playoff-contender rotation already, especially if Clay Buchholz is healthy. (His $13MM club option is seen as a virtual lock to be exercised.)

The 2016 rotation shapes up as Buchholz, impressive rookie Eduardo Rodriguez and Rick Porcello, whose $82MM extension kicks in next season. Porcello is one of the arms who performed better in the second half, though it’s highly unlikely other teams will explore trades for him given his rough first half and that big pay bump. That leaves Wade Miley, Joe Kelly and Henry Owens competing for two spots, and quite possibly just one spot should Boston indeed acquire an ace. The highly-touted Owens would be a big trade chip, and while Kelly and Miley both had their share of struggles in 2015, Kelly is just entering his arbitration years while Miley is owed a not-exorbitant $15.25MM through 2017. Pairing Kelly or Miley with a couple of blue chip prospects would certainly be enough to get the ball rolling on trade talks. Rich Hill surprisingly exploded back onto the scene in MLB with four impressive late-season starts, so Boston could explore re-signing the veteran to add some more depth.

It’s also possible the Red Sox could use some of their surplus arms in the bullpen, with Kelly in particular having been mentioned by some pundits as perhaps better suited to relief work. Sox relievers ranked 26th in ERA (4.25), 29th in xFIP (4.36) and dead last in both FIP (4.64) and fWAR (-1.5) last season, indicating some vast room for improvement. Koji Uehara will return as closer after putting up more strong numbers in his age-40 season, though it remains to be seen if he’ll still be as effective after suffering a fractured wrist last August.

Lefties Robbie Ross and Tommy Layne and righties Junichi Tazawa and Koji Uehara are all slated to return, while veteran southpaw Craig Breslow could be let go in free agency. Aside from Uehara’s injury-shortened season, though, there were no dominant campaigns in the Sox bullpen. Sub-par bullpens plagued Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit, and now he’ll have to upgrade another flawed relief corps in his new job.

Around the diamond, the Red Sox are more or less set at every position thanks to a wealth of young players who emerged last season. Beyond stalwarts David Ortiz and Dustin Pedroia, shortstop Xander Bogaerts and center fielder Mookie Betts stepped up as very productive everyday Major Leaguers and could be future superstars. Injuries opened the door for Blake Swihart to make his big league debut a bit earlier than expected and the catcher fared respectably well in his rookie season. Jackie Bradley enjoyed an absolutely torrid month (1.361 OPS in 102 PA from August 6 to September 7) after regaining an everyday outfield job, so if he can find a middle ground between that unsustainable production and his below-replacement numbers in 2014, he can easily keep a starting job thanks to his outstanding glove. Rusney Castillo is still a work in progress at the plate, though the Cuban outfielder also possesses a tremendous glove and should at least see part-time duty, possibly in a platoon with Brock Holt.

While these young players all contributed, however, it was most of Boston’s veteran core that let the club down last season. Shane Victorino and Mike Napoli were both traded, while Pablo Sandoval and Hanley Ramirez remain the two biggest scapegoats for the 2015 season. Sandoval has rebounded from poor seasons before (he had a 1.2 fWAR season in 2010 sandwiched in between 5.2 fWAR and 5.3 fWAR, respectively) though that was five years ago and his 2010 campaign wasn’t nearly as rough as his sub-replacement performance in 2015.

Sandoval, at least, has a set position at third base. Ramirez doesn’t even have that luxury, as the Sox removed him from the left field job after one of the worst defensive seasons in recent memory. With Ortiz locked in at DH, Ramirez has been working out at first base in an effort to find a spot to play, though it’s an open question whether he’ll be able to handle the position (and if Ramirez plays first, that blocks 25-year-old Travis Shaw, who delivered a strong rookie season). There is hope that Sandoval and Ramirez could rebound with better fitness, though there have also been whispers that Boston coaches aren’t pleased with Ramirez’s overall effort level.

Could Sandoval or Ramirez be traded this offseason? I’m sure Dombrowski and Hazen will put feelers out, though both players’ stock could hardly be lower. Ramirez’s defense will further limit his market, since it’s hard to imagine an NL club would be comfortable putting him anywhere in the field without the DH spot as a fallback. Unless there’s something to these rumors of enmity between Ramirez and the coaching staff, it’s probably unlikely that Boston would outright release Ramirez or make a salary-eating trade to get him off the roster just yet. The Sox could try him at first base in 2016 and if that still doesn’t work, slide him into the DH role in 2017 if Ortiz retires.

Holt is almost a one-man bench by himself, giving the Sox lots of flexibility as they look for backups. They’ll probably be in the market for at least one bench player to go with Holt, Shaw, Deven Marrero as a utility infielder and the backup catcher. Christian Vazquez should be recovered from Tommy John surgery and veteran Ryan Hanigan is still under contract, so there could be a Spring Training battle to see who will be Swihart’s understudy, or a trade could be in the works. Vazquez himself was a highly-touted prospect before his injury, particularly on defense; if he proves himself as healthy in the spring, he would draw attention from several teams looking for a long-term answer behind the plate.

One of the club’s biggest questions for 2016 was answered when the Red Sox announced that John Farrell would indeed return as manager. Interim skipper Torey Lovullo signed a two-year contract to return to his bench coach role (and forgo any manager offers from other teams this winter), so the Sox have a trusted option in place should Farrell have a setback in his recovery from lymphoma. Another update about Farrell’s health will come later this month, and hopefully Farrell will have a clear path to a return on Opening Day.

Dombrowski faces an interesting challenge in taking over a Red Sox team that clearly has a lot of talent on the Major and minor league levels, yet has greatly underachieved over the last two seasons. Hiring Hazen is an acknowledgement of that player development and (partial) player acquisition success, though getting sustained results on the field has been a challenge in the post-Theo Epstein era. Dombrowski’s history as a front office executive has been filled with creative transactions that worked swimmingly well for his teams, and since he’s armed with both a loaded farm system and a luxury tax-level payroll to play with, the first Red Sox offseason under the new regime could be a busy one.

You need to include the link when copying the source.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Boston hired Dombrowski to win now and they certainly have surplus talent to trade. The unwillingness to trade that talent is what got Ben Cherington ultimately removed from those decisions in favor of Dombrowski and led to his resignation. I think Boston will go into FA for a pitcher and it wouldn't shock me if Price is a target despite the previous reluctance to sing pitchers to long term contracts. Adding a TOR and a secondary starter to that rotation makes them a contender in the AL East with a fading Baltimore team, an uncertain Blue Jays team after losing Price and the enigmatic Yankees. The Rays are struggling to get under their 2015 $75 million payroll so while tehy have some young talent they're unlikely to contend. I expect Boston to look for pitching anywhere it can find it.