Theoretical Off Season Changes If We Had A Real GM

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
Exactly, he's playing those minutes because that's where he belongs on a contender. I also disagree that he has more skill than Bolland.

I think slightly more skill. Ladd and Havlat made Bolland as good as his numbers showed the season before the cup year.

Ton

Liked Posts:
There aren't any 2nd line C's out there during the UFA this year.

Why they don't give Pirri a shot is beyond me. He's done well in his appearances with limited ice time and has done well with Rockford.

The center crop blows this year. They should just move Sharp back to C. I like Pirri too, but he was injured.

IceHogsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
There aren't any 2nd line C's out there during the UFA this year.

Why they don't give Pirri a shot is beyond me. He's done well in his appearances with limited ice time and has done well with Rockford.

Umm, his injury last season maybe?

IceHogsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
When did he go down? He was able to dress for 44 games for Rock.

I'm also speaking of this next season coming up. Not last season.

Pirri suffered an ACL injury which happened off the ice. It kept of the later part of the season. I believe he would have been up had it not happened. We will see what this season's camp brings.

Shoots_he_scores

Liked Posts:
University of North Dakota, by way of Oak Lawn
Stoll is not even close to being a 2nd line C, you'd just create another problem by adding a 3rd/4th line C to the revolving door.

Either Sharp has to move back to center or get traded for someone who can be the 2nd line C. None of this "I don't want to play center" bullshit, right now he is clearly the best option we have and probably the best option including free agency. The Hawks would be smart to sign Parise, no matter the cost, and move Sharp back to C.

Parise/Toews/Kane

Stalberg/Sharp/Hossa

You can't look at that without cracking a smile.

Exactly why I think they should go after Parise, and move Sharp back to center. Quite frankly if the guy is going to put up that big of a fight because he doesn't want to play center than what kind of teammate is he being, although I believe him not playing center is more of Q's doing. It's a hell of a lot easier to find a top 6 winger than a top 6 center, especially in this free agent class too. Stoll as a second line center would be no better than just moving Bolland up, very similar players with very similar numbers over the last few years. The hawks are lucky that they have 8 million dollars and really only one hole to fill.

dlrob315

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Exactly why I think they should go after Parise, and move Sharp back to center. Quite frankly if the guy is going to put up that big of a fight because he doesn't want to play center than what kind of teammate is he being, although I believe him not playing center is more of Q's doing. It's a hell of a lot easier to find a top 6 winger than a top 6 center, especially in this free agent class too. Stoll as a second line center would be no better than just moving Bolland up, very similar players with very similar numbers over the last few years. The hawks are lucky that they have 8 million dollars and really only one hole to fill.

The Hawks are already at the cap limit; there will be no Parise unless the same dollars are leaving.

R K

The Hawks are already at the cap limit; there will be no Parise unless the same dollars are leaving.

They could or could not be at the Cap. Most are using the 70mil as the mark. Will all depend on the CBA. I do believe they will make an offer to Parise or Suter. We'll see.

dlrob315

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They could or could not be at the Cap. Most are using the 70mil as the mark. Will all depend on the CBA. I do believe they will make an offer to Parise or Suter. We'll see.

RK, the way I see it, they are at the cap because if teams spend up to the 70.3m; wouldn't the owners be negotiating against themselves in the upcoming CBA talks?

If the teams have a few to spend up to the 70.3.m this summer, IMO that would show dissension amongst the owners which would mean a long lockout. The 70.3m is based off of a 57% player share and I thought the owners want to bring that number down which would mean a not growing cap for the next season.

I could be wrong but that is the way I see it.

R K

You could be 100% correct but until then, it's a guessing game.

You are also assuming Montedor and Hossa are coming back. Again a guessing game. Until July 1 anything could happen. Especially with the CBA looming.

Rex

Chief Blackcock
Liked Posts:
He played 3rd line minutes, and now more than likely in the playoffs 4th line.

He has more skill than Bolland and he would take some of the tension off Toews as our go to faceoff guy. He'd be great for the PK which has sucked and would also give the Hawks some relief on Kane from playing C.

LOL @ Stoll being better than Bolland.

If we did get Stoll, then he would be #3 and Bolland should be #2

Larmer83

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
RK, the way I see it, they are at the cap because if teams spend up to the 70.3m; wouldn't the owners be negotiating against themselves in the upcoming CBA talks?

If the teams have a few to spend up to the 70.3.m this summer, IMO that would show dissension amongst the owners which would mean a long lockout. The 70.3m is based off of a 57% player share and I thought the owners want to bring that number down which would mean a not growing cap for the next season.

I could be wrong but that is the way I see it.

I tend to agree. A couple of things in play regarding the new, or lack thereof, CBA.

This is a league of haves and have nots. Given the cost certainty negotiated during the last lockout, their are more haves. They don't want to see a protracted lockout but they will be more than happy to make more operational money. They also understand that as the have nots can get more in a franchise sale, that trickles up to their organizations. It was not long ago that a major professional sports team could be purchased then sold several years later at a handsome profit. Those days a gone but a new CBA that tilts more in the owners favor makes that least valued franchise all the more valuable.

There may be a tightening of the rules that allows teams to dump contracts in the minors or Europe. On the margins, that will keep salaries down a bit as teams don't want to risk pissing away cap money on contracts for the like of Huet or Olesz.

Since Bettman will point to the bottom feeders as a reason to reduce payrolls, Fehr may try to negotiate favorable revenue sharing terms to even the playing field amongst franchises. That in itself is some sort of cap which the likes of the Leafs, Habs, Hawks, Rangers, and Flyers will be none too thrilled aboot. The revenue sharing as it exists in the CBA that's about to expire is somewhat restrictive.

How does that play out with the Hawks? Stanley would have to make a trim of payroll(4-5 milion) to be an active player in the UFA market. And with 3/4's of his trading partners sitting on their hands, that could be difficult.

Larmer83

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Who says Parise won't re-sign with the Devils? I don't understand how everyone thinks that he is certainly gone from New Jersey. Devils have lots of space to sign Parise when you consider half their large contracts expire at the end in 2013 and I don't think many young players decide to move on after the team they play for just made it to the cup final.

I predict Parise re-signs a long term deal with the Devils.

I'll give you $5 million reasons.

Although Kovalchuk's cap hit is $6.66 million next year, his salary goes from $6 million this year to $11 million next season.

Rex

Chief Blackcock
Liked Posts:
I'll give you $5 million reasons.

Although Kovalchuk's cap hit is $6.66 million next year, his salary goes from $6 million this year to $11 million next season.

Is each reason a dollar?

Larmer83

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Is each reason a dollar?

I considered breaking it down by pennies but that would be overkill(purple),

41neWcOI6VL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Rex

Chief Blackcock
Liked Posts:
I considered breaking it down by pennies but that would be overkill(purple),

41neWcOI6VL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Nice use of the Canadian penny, though we don't have pennies anymore. They are a waste of tax money to make, so they stopped making them.

xatruio

Liked Posts:
HOssa's concussion is really THAT bad? Sure, i wouldnt be surprised if he makes next season a shorter one and takes his time coming back fully recovered, but i dont think he's completely done. I respect your inside info but sometimes it seems youre a bit melodramatic, RK. Plus, it is offseason, how much contact do you really have for these short months?

R K

Melodramatic? I was just throwing it out there because it's well, "Unknown". As for Montedor he missed one game took one minor hit and was out the rest of the year. I don't think diagnosing the criticality of SEVERE Concussions is melodramatic. I've never seen a player leave the ice out cold and remain out cold until they arrived at the Hospital. Several terms following the hit and end of the playoffs were used, up and including "retirement". I suppose they were melodramatic as well.

Ask Marc Savard how it's working out for him.