Theoretical Off Season Changes If We Had A Real GM

R K

He doesn't have much Cap Space to make a Splash unless something is going the other way via trade. So as far as UFA, Oduya just took care of that. Especially since they now expect Montedor to be back, according to the main site.

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
Actually, he has just over 8.8mil to sign someone if he wanted to. With these 22 players signed (a full roster)...he can make a decent hockey trade as well...and add to this roster, with a few young prospects that may have a chance to crack a spot as well.

Patrick Sharp ($5.900m) / Jonathan Toews ($6.300m) / Patrick Kane ($6.300m)

Daniel Carcillo ($0.825m) / Marcus Kruger ($0.900m) / Marian Hossa ($5.275m)

Bryan Bickell ($0.542m) / Dave Bolland ($3.375m) / Andrew Shaw ($0.565m)

Viktor Stalberg ($0.875m) / Jamal Mayers ($0.650m) / Jimmy Hayes ($0.875m)

Michael Frolik ($2.333m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Brent Seabrook ($5.800m) / Duncan Keith ($5.538m)

Niklas Hjalmarsson ($3.500m) / Johnny Oduya ($3.383m)

Steve Montador ($2.750m) / Nick Leddy ($1.117m)

Dylan Olsen ($0.870m) /

GOALTENDERS

Corey Crawford ($2.667m)

Ray Emery ($1.150m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,490,128; BONUSES: $697,500

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $8,809,872

Pez68

Fire Quenneville
Liked Posts:
True, but I don't see them spending 70 mil before they have a better idea on how the CBA negotiations are going to go. Rocky especially, since I can see him being one of the owners that tries to really stick it to the players. After all, the Blackhawks aren't profitable, and it's apparently very difficult to make money with a hockey team.
<

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
I'd still like to see Stastny as the trade target. I think he'd be perfect behind Toews and with Hossa on wing. He's great on Faceoffs...and on the PP.

COL only has like 9 players signed. With O'Reilly and Duchene as the 1-2 centers...Stastny may be had, and not for much. They have a boatload of RFA's (which include O'Reilly and Duchene) as well as Mueller and Downie up front. They only have 3 Dmen signed...needing to resign RFA's Johnson and Wilson.

They've been cap-strapped....so maybe an offer of Hjarllmarsson...either Kruger or Stalberg with a prospect (Morin, Lalonde)...for Stastny and a prospect would still leave money to sign a Dman.

Pez68

Fire Quenneville
Liked Posts:
I wouldn't mind Stastny at all, to be honest. I'm just not sure COL would let him go for what the Hawks can afford.

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
Currently...their roster has -

Stastny, Landeskog, Kobasew, Hedjuk - Forwards

Hedja, O'Byrne, Barrie -D

Giguere, Varlomov - G

That's all signed with 46mil available. That's a lot of players they need to re-up with. I believe they've had some financial problems (not sure they'd spend to the cap) and if they can get 2 NHL players and a prospect that's ready...it may be the best any team can offer for him. From what I've heard, they want Ducene to play center full time next year, and O'Reilly is already pretty sound there.

They also don't have a number 1 pick this year...gave it to WASH. Statsny was held onto last year, because they had to remain above the cap floor. With all these guys needing to be signed, and the floor at 54.3mil...they'd need to spend 30mil to get there (signing 13-14 players)

Larmer83

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Edit

He needs to reconnect with the four five F's. Facebook, Fox News, Friends, Family, and Faith.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I just want to echo that I it's so sad that I'm not excited about this off season which is very sad in deed. Usually I love the summer waiting in anticipation for a trade, move, signing, something to make this team better. But I just don't see it. I'm not saying they won't surprise me and make a good move, but I feel like this team is going to be worse at the start of the season, even if that means staying put and not doing another move as I think that only hurts us and I know everyone else in the conference will probably get better. Even in the bad days when the team was horrid you always looked forward to the offseason where the only way to go was up... You waited in anticipation to see what pieces you could justify the team being better, even if it was a Augroin and Orange Pylon. I honestly just don't feel any excitement or confidence going into next season. It's a sad thing to see my fandom be sucked out of me a bit. I hope i'm wrong and they have something up their sleeve, but at this point I'd almost rather they just not do nothing then to try to force more BS down our throat because as piss poor as I think the management of this team has been lately I fear it can get worse.

I hope I am wrong.

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
Well, its the first season since the cup they won't have 8-10 new faces. That's something people forget, or have zero clue on the importance of that.

They need the goaltending to be average. If Crawmery had an average .910% - which would have been 20 more saves - that would've put their GA 11th in the league, and maybe 4-5 more wins? Near 110pts? Without Toews for what...20% of the season? Not a bad season.

Improve the PP. Getting rid of Havi and bringing in a new set of eyes can help this.

Get a 2nd line center via trade. It's still going to take a face or two off the roster...but turning over 1 or 2 players is a massive positive to the 8-9 they've done.

I'm glad for once, they don't need to shave salaries or have 10 new players coming in again

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
^^^Agreed

One only caveat would be if there was a way to move Hammer or Monty (preferably Monty) and have space to bring up Olsen, do it. Having all three of Oduya/Hammer/Monty is redundant.

The thing that scares me about next year is the potential of them moving Bolland. In spite of their possible lack of offense, Bickell/Bolland/one of Shaw or Frolik are more than worth their weight in gold by shutting down some of the best lines out there. Kruger is nowhere near capable or ready to go toe-to-toe with the likes of Getzlaf or Thorton.

PatrickSharpRules

Liked Posts:
Perhaps the Hawks can't score on the PP due to a lack of ability on net presence. The core for the PP did not change significantly from 2010-11 to 2011-12. Sharp, Kane, Toews, Hossa, Keith, Seabrook. Only significant change was swapping Campbell with Leddy. And the loss of Pecker and Brouwer. 2010-11 Hawks PP: 277 chances, 64 PP goals 2011-12 Hawks PP: 277 chances, 42 PP goals Between Brouwer and Kopecky, they had 26 PP points(13 each) in 2010-11. Pretty much all in front of the net. And that production was replaced by ??? Frolik? Brunette? Kruger? No, no, and no. Now granted, Frolik hardly had a sniff of PP time this past season. I included him since Bowman signed Frolik for the same cap hit as Brouwer got from the Caps(Of course Bowman gave Frolik an extra year). 2011-12 Kruger, Brunette, Frolik PP time= 286 minutes, 10 points 2010-11 Brouwer, Kopecky .........PP time= 372 minutes, 26 points Stan does not know how to build a team.

This is what I was saying all last off-season, letting the final two gritty, solid in almost every part of the game players go with absolutely no replacement in sight. Worked out how I thought too.

Also look at the hit disparity, I'd be surprised if Kruger, Brunette and Frolik even amassed 20 hits all year. Brouwer had 247 hits, Kopecky had only 45. We lost a lot more than just their point production, (Hossa also lost his lover), but for real the changes made this year better not echo those of last summer.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Does anybody know how to post videos to facebook?

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
It was a pop culture reference you jerky foreigner.

R K

You are assuming the Cap is going to 70mil. I'm not so sure about that one with the Negotiations. It is suggested it "would have" had the owners chose to contiue the Current CBA, which clearly they did not.

If it stays the same, or relatively the same, this team has about 3 mil in Cap space.

You are also leaving out Olesz. Just like last year with Huet Rocky is going to off set that contract. Amazingly we were Huet and Olesz's contract short of the Cap last year. All season. Coincidence, I think not.

I wish I had your "glass half full" mentality, but alas, I do not. I used too before the assholes shipped out an entire productive front office and brought in, yea, well......

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
And you're assuming it's going to stay the same

With the record revenues, maybe it doesn't go up the full 6mil...but I don't see why it wont go up a bit as part of the negotiations.

R K

oh I think it's possible to go up some, but not where it would have been. I would be surprised. When you add the 3 mil cushion, which isn't an assumption that kills half of it anyway. I suppose it will be interesting either way. Will Montedor return, will Hossa be ready to play, there's a big chunk right there as well.