Thoughts on Kyle Trask in Rd 2?

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
If Jones is a consideration, then how is Trask not? Both are pocket passers that have good pocket awareness, read defenses well and are accurate.

Trask has the size to be a pocket passer, where Jones, might be a little on the smaller size for that kind of role.

If we end up with him, I pray that they do something to protect him and AD.

Speed

Liked Posts:
If Jones is a consideration, then how is Trask not? Both are pocket passers that have good pocket awareness, read defenses well and are accurate.

Trask has the size to be a pocket passer, where Jones, might be a little on the smaller size for that kind of role.

If we end up with him, I pray that they do something to protect him and AD.

Consensus is that Jones has a bit better arm, more athletic, and navigates the pocket a bit better. In essence people think he can navigate the waters of a shaky line a bit better. Whereas Trask will no doubt live & die based on who is in front of him. I guess you can say that's true for even the best QB's, but especially in Trask's case.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Just read a scouting report that compares him to Kirk Cousins. Will that get people super excited? Of course not, but Kirk Cousins-esque production out of the position wouldn't be the worst thing to have for a franchise that is notoriously bad at the position.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Just read a scouting report that compares him to Kirk Cousins. Will that get people super excited? Of course not, but Kirk Cousins-esque production out of the position wouldn't be the worst thing to have for a franchise that is notoriously bad at the position.
Kirk Cousins is a guy that you want to like, but it seems like in crunch time he just does not have the ability to play well.
If Trask is a Kirk Cousins, then we should draft him in the fourth round like the WFT did. If that would play out, where Trask was available in the 3rd, I would hope that the Bears would take a flier on him.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Kirk Cousins is a guy that you want to like, but it seems like in crunch time he just does not have the ability to play well.
If Trask is a Kirk Cousins, then we should draft him in the fourth round like the WFT did. If that would play out, where Trask was available in the 3rd, I would hope that the Bears would take a flier on him.
I don't think a later 2nd rounder would be a bad move necessarily. If he's got some good potential then why not?

I'm kicking this idea around of drafting QBs in my head. Maybe I'll do a separate thread about it. It's basically to say that if QB is such an important position then why do teams just trade the farm to draft one high and then ride or die with him when they're more likely to die with them rather than spending a later pick every or every other year on another guy and see what shakes out?

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Trask would be a solid selection in the 2nd.

The cotton bowl came when many of his starters opted out. It was his worse game of the season by far and not a fair judge when he was throwing to players that were basically backups or playing out of position.

I have said that Trask was the last QB that was starting material. I may be wrong and have to add Mond to that list as well.

But right behind Mac Jones, Trask was the most accurate passer in CFB last season.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
so you don't think Cousins could get a 2nd on trade?

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I don't think a later 2nd rounder would be a bad move necessarily. If he's got some good potential then why not?

I'm kicking this idea around of drafting QBs in my head. Maybe I'll do a separate thread about it. It's basically to say that if QB is such an important position then why do teams just trade the farm to draft one high and then ride or die with him when they're more likely to die with them rather than spending a later pick every or every other year on another guy and see what shakes out?
Pace promised something similar when he first came on board, to draft one every year if need be. Then he did just the opposite, and moved up one spot to draft Trubisky and has done nothing else, other than sign FA failed QBs.

I have a theory on why they do this, but I guess it will wait till you post a new thread on it ;)

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
so you don't think Cousins could get a 2nd on trade?

Cousins cap hit this year is some ridiculous number, so Minny would have to give draft picks with Cousins to off load his contract.

Do I think Cousins would be a better solution than AD, yes, even though he is a choke master...

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Pace promised something similar when he first came on board, to draft one every year if need be. Then he did just the opposite, and moved up one spot to draft Trubisky and has done nothing else, other than sign FA failed QBs.

I have a theory on why they do this, but I guess it will wait till you post a new thread on it ;)
Took me forever to turn it out but at least I did some homework. Some of the names of QBs drafted in the 1st round of the last 10 drafts is truly awe inspiring. Remember Christian Ponder, Paxton Lynch and Brandon Weeden? Haha. Looking at the past drafts totally justifies my position: there's no reason to draft a QB high unless you're so bad that you earned that pick on your own and therefore don't need to give up anything to move up.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
@Midway Nick

I noticed you disliked this post. Can you explain why?

Yes, I think it is stupid to racebait and label Pace as a racist when it’s likely he just sucks ? at evaluating the QB position.

Do you think Champ Kelly would be one of his right hand guys and a GM candidate if he were a racist? Maybe your argument is he only is racist when he is selecting a QB.

But, the Bears literally just tried to mortgage the future for Russell Wilson. Taking that unsubstantiated stance is ignorant and annoying.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Yes, I think it is stupid to racebait and label Pace as a racist when it’s likely he just sucks ? at evaluating the QB position.

Do you think Champ Kelly would be one of his right hand guys and a GM candidate if he were a racist? Maybe your argument is he only is racist when he is selecting a QB.

But, the Bears literally just tried to mortgage the future for Russell Wilson. Taking that unsubstantiated stance is ignorant and annoying.
Yes.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Russell Wilson. Straw man regardless.
There's nothing other than Pace's word, and leaks to the media about what kind of effort the Bears put forward in getting Wilson. Meanwhile, didn't draft Dak, didn't draft Mahomes, and didn't draft Watson. Didn't sign Tyrod Taylor, Teddy Bridgewater, or Jameis Winston.

But I'm sure if we check the ancestory.com datat for Mike Glennon, Nick Foles, and Andy Dalton maybe we'll find something.

Nelly

Liked Posts:

If Ryan Pace sucks at evaluating the QB position then so does the rest of the NFL and all the draft gurus and such. Trubisky was the consensus best QB prospect available in the 2017 draft. If Pace is guilty of anything it's perhaps liking Mitch Trubisky the person too much that it clouded his judgment on Mitch Trubisky the player, moreso when it came to bringing in competition for him and such. No one thought Mahomes would be what he is and eleven other teams didn't think DeShaun Watson was worthy of drafting as their QB going forward.

It's much more of an indictment against this idea that talent evaluation is even remotely easy or consistent. You can scout and evaluate til you're blue in the face but it's proven out that the draft ultimately isn't a whole lot more than a crap shoot when it comes to the vast majority of players eligible to be drafted.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
If Ryan Pace sucks at evaluating the QB position then so does the rest of the NFL and all the draft gurus and such. Trubisky was the consensus best QB prospect available in the 2017 draft. If Pace is guilty of anything it's perhaps liking Mitch Trubisky the person too much that it clouded his judgment on Mitch Trubisky the player, moreso when it came to bringing in competition for him and such. No one thought Mahomes would be what he is and eleven other teams didn't think DeShaun Watson was worthy of drafting as their QB going forward.

It's much more of an indictment against this idea that talent evaluation is even remotely easy or consistent. You can scout and evaluate til you're blue in the face but it's proven out that the draft is ultimately little more than a crap shoot when it comes to the vast majority of players eligible to be drafted.
Even Pat Mahomes without his tackles and in the face of an unrelenting rush suddenly looked a lot like Mitchell Trubisky.