Trade news before season

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
The Mack trade happened the day before my league drafts, everybody showed up for the fantasy draft party and the conversation that night was awesome, nobody was able to shut the fuck up. It was love fest for Khalil Mack and we had no damn clue about Nagy's brilliance besides just being hopeful of him, those convo's was flat out great, best football talk in a longtime, I could of swore my main homie was going to burst into tears from so much excitement, He knew what player Mack exactly is, he lives California and flies back to CHI when we draft and a bigger reason is his mama's birthday is on the 2nd. Bears defense when in the 3rd round in my league. The hype was all because of Mack.
Hold up...what dumb fuck would draft any defense in the 3rd round? What kind of Mickey Mouse type league is this? Let me guess kickers were getting drafted in the 5th.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
C'mon.....someone needs to give the Bears a pick for Slowkowski!

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Hold up...what dumb fuck would draft any defense in the 3rd round? What kind of Mickey Mouse type league is this? Let me guess kickers were getting drafted in the 5th.
it was because of MACK, the hype was real. Dude didn't win tho.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
I'm sorry Blair Walsh missed a 13 yard fg for the Vikings in order to advance in the playoffs. A 13 freaking yarder. He shanked it. I remember and laughed at my Viking friend. Thats worse than a 43 yard double doing miss.

It was a 27-yarder. In Walsh's defense, it was 6 below and they were playing on frozen field turf. Nothing is a gimme in those conditions. Yeah, he should have made the FG, but there were extenuating circumstances. Parkey's miss was just as bad, IMO.

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
it was because of MACK, the hype was real. Dude didn't win tho.

No you just have a bunch of tards in your league...I didn't need confirmation that the person who drafted a defense in the 3rd round didn't win the league.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
It was a 27-yarder. In Walsh's defense, it was 6 below and they were playing on frozen field turf. Nothing is a gimme in those conditions. Yeah, he should have made the FG, but there were extenuating circumstances. Parkey's miss was just as bad, IMO.
Not really imo. It’s a 27 yard FG regardless. It wasn’t raining or snowing so I wouldn’t really say weather was a factor. Kicks from 20-29 yards are damn near automatic statistically, while kicks from 40+ are not.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Yeah...its early, but 5-7 round is where the Bears have been going. Think of it in terms of "WAR"...the same reason a QB is worthless almost til the last round(where you can get 4500 yards, 30TD's out of Rivers/Stafford/Cousins), is why the Bears/Kelce/Ertz are good early picks, especially in PPR.

They are in there own elite player tier and will win that slot by a good margin.

For me its more of a how is my draft going thing...best case scenarios for me have looked like

1. RB- Bell or Gurley late first, or Hopkins
2. Elite WR early second- ie.. Thomas, Julio Jones for some reason, or Cook
3. Antonio Brown or Keenan Allen
4. Derrick Henry or Carson RB or Ertz
5. Aaron Rodgers or a subpar RB with upside
6. And then if I have Rodgers, 2 elite running backs and 2 elite WR's...I start thinking about the Bears there. Or you
7. Lucky to get the Bears in the 7th, or O.J. Howard or something. Allen Robinson.

By the time you start hoping a player has a good season I just feel you are better off taking the best player at their position(not K)...even a Defense if they are as elite as the Bears.

However..if you miss the Bears I have been getting the Broncos in the 15/16th rounds...knowing Fangio with Miller will be something and their pre-season has been shutdown for the starters.

Miller/Chubb should be a solid sack tandem that leads to INT's, compared to getting the Bears against a nasty set of QB's. But what player are you getting in the 6-8th rounds to make it worth it?

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Yeah...its early, but 5-7 round is where the Bears have been going. Think of it in terms of "WAR"...the same reason a QB is worthless almost til the last round(where you can get 4500 yards, 30TD's out of Rivers/Stafford/Cousins), is why the Bears/Kelce/Ertz are good early picks, especially in PPR.

They are in there own elite player tier and will win that slot by a good margin.

For me its more of a how is my draft going thing...best case scenarios for me have looked like

1. RB- Bell or Gurley late first, or Hopkins
2. Elite WR early second- ie.. Thomas, Julio Jones for some reason, or Cook
3. Antonio Brown or Keenan Allen
4. Derrick Henry or Carson RB or Ertz
5. Aaron Rodgers or a subpar RB with upside
6. And then if I have Rodgers, 2 elite running backs and 2 elite WR's...I start thinking about the Bears there. Or you
7. Lucky to get the Bears in the 7th, or O.J. Howard or something. Allen Robinson.

By the time you start hoping a player has a good season I just feel you are better off taking the best player at their position(not K)...even a Defense if they are as elite as the Bears.

However..if you miss the Bears I have been getting the Broncos in the 15/16th rounds...knowing Fangio with Miller will be something and their pre-season has been shutdown for the starters.

Miller/Chubb should be a solid sack tandem that leads to INT's, compared to getting the Bears against a nasty set of QB's. But what player are you getting in the 6-8th rounds to make it worth it?

Last year the Bears weren't going in the 5-7 range...in my main league the Bears were drafted in the 15th round and this was on Labor Day after the Mack trade. Even if you account for homer inflation that puts the Bears in the 10th round range at best, making a 3rd round pick on the Bears a complete waste.

As for this year they are going in the 7th-8th round range and maybe earlier if there is a Bears homer in the league. But lets assume it is the 7th round. I wholeheartedly believe that the Bears Defense will be good this year and likely finish in the top 5, but last year the Bears put up incredible numbers that likely will not be repeated. On top of that historically Team defenses do not repeat as a top fantasy defense. So in the 7th round you are drafting someone to start in the flex or your first bench option. Per ESPN ADP in the 6th to 7th round players like Calvin Ridley, Phillip Lindsay, Allen Robinson, Josh Gordon, Robby Anderson, Tevin Coleman, Austin Ekler, and Duke Johnson are all falling in that range.

I would much rather draft any of those players instead of a defense and wait and stream defenses for the season than draft a defense that early considering defenses can be a very volatile position.

Also when you take into account injuries, a defense in fantasy has a better chance of weathering an injury to that unit, but if your starting WR goes down with injury you have to replace them. I would be much more comfortable knowing that I had any of those WR's listed to plug in, 2 of them being the #1 WR's on their teams. The drop off between drafting a defense in the 7th and drafting one (at the earliest) in the 12th is marginal.

Now take into account historically the #1 defense from the prior year regresses in terms of fantasy the following year. Her are the #1 defenses and their drop off the following season

2017 - Jacksonville put up 203 pts, in 2018 they dropped to #12 and put up 117pts
2016 - Chiefs put up 166 pts, in 2017 they dropped to #12 and put up 123 pts
2015 - Cardinals put up 186 pts, in 2016 they dropped to #4 and put up 144 pts
2014 - Eagles put up 177 pts. in 2015 the dropped to #12 and put up 134 pts
2013 - Chiefs put up 207 pts, in 2014 they dropped to #18 and put up 118 pts
2012 - Bears put up 222 pts, in 2013 they dropped to #18 and put up 117 pts
2011 - Niners put up 184 pts, in 2012 they dropped to #7 and put up 151 pts
2010 - Patriots put up 187 pts, 2011 they dropped to #9 and put up 142 pts

Taking a defense early because they finished #1 the prior season will end in disappointment for that fantasy player. The team may have a solid season but I would rather pass on that volatility than hope that the defense produces similar stats like the year prior.

tl;dr - Players are a lot more predictable than a defense, don't try to bank on last years success translating to similar success in the current year.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm sorry Blair Walsh missed a 13 yard fg for the Vikings in order to advance in the playoffs. A 13 freaking yarder. He shanked it. I remember and laughed at my Viking friend. Thats worse than a 43 yard double doing miss.

Oh my, I had forgot about that. Epic fail. Surprised hes back.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Per ESPN ADP in the 6th to 7th round players like Calvin Ridley, Phillip Lindsay, Allen Robinson, Josh Gordon, Robby Anderson, Tevin Coleman, Austin Ekler, and Duke Johnson are all falling in that range.

And imagine how much that 6th-7th round number for Duke Johnson has been skewed from dabears70 taking him in the 1st round. Most likely you can get him in 8th or 9th round in most drafts.