Trade news before season

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Sua Cravens was released by Denver. Probably not the type of player that Pace likes to bet on but a hybrid LB SS, which is probably a position of need for depth.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Y
Last year the Bears weren't going in the 5-7 range...in my main league the Bears were drafted in the 15th round and this was on Labor Day after the Mack trade. Even if you account for homer inflation that puts the Bears in the 10th round range at best, making a 3rd round pick on the Bears a complete waste.

As for this year they are going in the 7th-8th round range and maybe earlier if there is a Bears homer in the league. But lets assume it is the 7th round. I wholeheartedly believe that the Bears Defense will be good this year and likely finish in the top 5, but last year the Bears put up incredible numbers that likely will not be repeated. On top of that historically Team defenses do not repeat as a top fantasy defense. So in the 7th round you are drafting someone to start in the flex or your first bench option. Per ESPN ADP in the 6th to 7th round players like Calvin Ridley, Phillip Lindsay, Allen Robinson, Josh Gordon, Robby Anderson, Tevin Coleman, Austin Ekler, and Duke Johnson are all falling in that range.

I would much rather draft any of those players instead of a defense and wait and stream defenses for the season than draft a defense that early considering defenses can be a very volatile position.

Also when you take into account injuries, a defense in fantasy has a better chance of weathering an injury to that unit, but if your starting WR goes down with injury you have to replace them. I would be much more comfortable knowing that I had any of those WR's listed to plug in, 2 of them being the #1 WR's on their teams. The drop off between drafting a defense in the 7th and drafting one (at the earliest) in the 12th is marginal.

Now take into account historically the #1 defense from the prior year regresses in terms of fantasy the following year. Her are the #1 defenses and their drop off the following season

2017 - Jacksonville put up 203 pts, in 2018 they dropped to #12 and put up 117pts
2016 - Chiefs put up 166 pts, in 2017 they dropped to #12 and put up 123 pts
2015 - Cardinals put up 186 pts, in 2016 they dropped to #4 and put up 144 pts
2014 - Eagles put up 177 pts. in 2015 the dropped to #12 and put up 134 pts
2013 - Chiefs put up 207 pts, in 2014 they dropped to #18 and put up 118 pts
2012 - Bears put up 222 pts, in 2013 they dropped to #18 and put up 117 pts
2011 - Niners put up 184 pts, in 2012 they dropped to #7 and put up 151 pts
2010 - Patriots put up 187 pts, 2011 they dropped to #9 and put up 142 pts

Taking a defense early because they finished #1 the prior season will end in disappointment for that fantasy player. The team may have a solid season but I would rather pass on that volatility than hope that the defense produces similar stats like the year prior.

tl;dr - Players are a lot more predictable than a defense, don't try to bank on last years success translating to similar success in the current year.
yeah...but if you are good you can grab (Josh Gordon especially before reinstatement, Kareem Hunt, you can take Howard RB knowing he will be the Eagles goalline back in non-ppr, you can grab Allen Robinson later, or Fuller in Texas, Boyd in Cincy, you've got Gallup in Dallas, Hooper for 70+ catches at TE in Atlanta late in the draft, or expect Jimmy Graham to bounce back in La Fleurs TE happy offense, while other guys are grabbing Njoku for TE in the 7th...why not just grab the Bears and know you will only need one defense, and you will not repeat last year, but you know you have a top 5 D that will get sacks, will get picks, will get you your 10 points almost every week.

I just find rounds 6-8 this year...many of the names I question vs emerging guys you can have later. The Bears you cannot have later.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
giphy.gif

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
No you just have a bunch of tards in your league...I didn't need confirmation that the person who drafted a defense in the 3rd round didn't win the league.
so you're saying i got a chance huh? or are you saying you can out score me or my league? start one and i'll join you..we'll see.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Thinking about this trade. So the Lions swap 2022 picks with the Browns in order to acquire the player.

So in other words the Lions are just conceding they will be shittier than the Browns and the lowly Browns are like, yeah you guys have sucked like decades longer than us so we will take the swap for a camp arm we were going to cut.

Saddest sports franchise...EVER!!!
@nc0gnet0

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thinking about this trade. So the Lions swap 2022 picks with the Browns in order to acquire the player.

So in other words the Lions are just conceding they will be shittier than the Browns and the lowly Browns are like, yeah you guys have sucked like decades longer than us so we will take the swap for a camp arm we were going to cut.

@nc0gnet0
Could have been worse, they could have picked up Glennon for 18 mill.........oops

Visionman

Liked Posts:

@nc0gnet0
Guess their would be backup Savage got injured in their game last night.

Screwed if Stafford starts...screwed if he gets injured...

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Wonder the odds on the Bears trading Mike Davis to a RB needy team? Probably slim, but with Montgomery looking like the real deal, and the Bears still having Cohen and Patterson capable in the backfield. They could keep both Whyte and Nall and possibly recoup a pick or an upgrade at another position.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Could have been worse, they could have picked up Glennon for 18 mill.........oops
You realize that did no damage to the Bears in the long term while the Lions keep kidding themselves into Stafford heading into his 10th season? Glennon at least helped seal Fox's fate while Patricia is still coaching the Lions after he helped rape a girl in Texas.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Wonder the odds on the Bears trading Mike Davis to a RB needy team? Probably slim, but with Montgomery looking like the real deal, and the Bears still having Cohen and Patterson capable in the backfield. They could keep both Whyte and Nall and possibly recoup a pick or an upgrade at another position.

That would be a bad idea unless Davis wanted it to happen. Could potentially damage future free agent prospects into signing here

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I would love to see if we could recoup something for Bullard maybe even Kwiatowski.

Even a 7th for Bullard would help us out.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
That would be a bad idea unless Davis wanted it to happen. Could potentially damage future free agent prospects into signing here

Yeah, that was my hold up as well. If this was the 2nd year of his deal then yeah, but for them to sign him then trade him 5 months later is not a good look.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Trade them Nall for a conditional 6th...

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
No team is coughing up a pick for Bullard or kwit. Best case, a 7th or future 7th for Kwit. Bullard, you’d get the stereo blasted to 11 right in the mouth piece for even suggesting value for him.