Training Camp News Thread (non Bears news)

Canth

Liked Posts:
Can you imagine the justification for paying him more than Mahomes, Burrow, Jackson,Allen, or Herbert? Lawerance was the poster child for you shouldn't make the newest QB contract the biggest, but Love just snatched that title away.

They could have franchise tagged him for 3 years until he was 29 years old for less than his guarantees. I get the disgruntled factor but if he isn't a top 5 QB moving forward, that contract is an anchor.

The entire QB contract situation in general is just stupid right now. Actually, it gets talked about in that Keenan Allen interview. Good QB's are getting elite money. Elite non-QB's are fighting to justify getting elite money for their position.

And, in general, I just absolutely hate this mindset with these players that the next contract has to be the biggest one - especially when they are not elite or have not proven anything. But, because 1 or 2 teams caved, then they can point out that hey - that guy got that much, I at least as good if not better, so I should get more than him. It completely ignores that the other guy was overpaid too.

Meanwhile, everyone wants to talk about chasing Brady but will ignore that he never really ever pushed to have the biggest contract he could. So, they could build a team around him. Mahomes is actually doing something similar in KC right now. So, these other guys want the Brady and Mahomes results but are not willing to sacrifice at all in the money to let other, actual elite guys on their team get paid too. And then, when those actual elite guys move on, the merely good QB gets further exposed for only being good and not elite or worth his contract.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Vikings CB room was getting thin with the tragic death of Jackson and a knee injury to a developing 2nd year CB in Thompson, now this news. The other teams in this division light that secondary up.
DJ Moore is better than every individual DB in this division.

UChiLAbear

"The Drop"
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
I personally still think that the Packers completely mismanaged their QB transition from Rodgers to Love. They had a chance for a massive draft pick and maybe even player haul and to find out what they really had in Love before they would have to give Love that type of contract.

Instead, they ended up with a single 2nd round pick, not even a Superbowl appearance, and you just paid Love that contract when he has not even had a chance to show if he is consistent year to year to justify it.
Let's hope you're right....

Canth

Liked Posts:
I think it will be interesting to see if the NFL tries to put in any sort of restrictions in the next CBA to address the issue. Like, a player cannot take up more than a certain percentage of the cap? Something like that.

You go back a ways, and there was a similar wave building with the rookie contracts that were insane with guys getting paid elite money before they ever even played a down in the NFL. They implemented the rookie wage scale off of that. Will the NFL try to rein in the QB contract's at all?

Another idea would be some sort of salary cap exemption for the QB position? The NFLPA should be pushing for that when they give up the 18th game. Get an exemption for the QB contract somehow to let there be more money available to non-QB's to get paid.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
I think it will be interesting to see if the NFL tries to put in any sort of restrictions in the next CBA to address the issue. Like, a player cannot take up more than a certain percentage of the cap? Something like that.

You go back a ways, and there was a similar wave building with the rookie contracts that were insane with guys getting paid elite money before they ever even played a down in the NFL. They implemented the rookie wage scale off of that. Will the NFL try to rein in the QB contract's at all?

Another idea would be some sort of salary cap exemption for the QB position? The NFLPA should be pushing for that when they give up the 18th game. Get an exemption for the QB contract somehow to let there be more money available to non-QB's to get paid.
Why? The salary cap keeps going up, why wouldn’t the top salaries?

everyone is so flabbergasted when a new contract sets the market like it doesn’t happen every year.

id be curious to see why they QB salary percentage of the total cap has been trending to.

Canth

Liked Posts:
Why? The salary cap keeps going up, why wouldn’t the top salaries?

everyone is so flabbergasted when a new contract sets the market like it doesn’t happen every year.

id be curious to see why they QB salary percentage of the total cap has been trending to.

Here is an article about it:

The QB salaries are growing faster than the cap, so they QB's are taking up more and more of the available cap space. IMO, that is an issue that is only going to get worse. I think they will have to get creative in how to deal with it.

And some relevant charts from that article:

1722099458601.png

1722099476059.png

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Daammnnnnnn, this was one of my favorite players in the draft that i wanted the Bears to get but he a little freaky.

To each their own. Not an issue with what he does in his private life.