Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
per Brad Biggs - "Bears have re-signed Trevathan, who was set to be an unrestricted free agent Wednesday, to a three-year contract. One source said the deal can total $24 million."

oh fuck..so that's a possible 8/8/8? definitely cut Floyd.

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Doesn’t the nfl also factor in what free agents a team signs in the offseason for comp picks, not just those who sign elsewhere? Which is why we had to cut mike davis to get the Amos comp pick last year.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
I bet it will be 3.5M/year for 3 years with 1 year guaranteed. I actually like this move. If they can sign KPL for around 1M/year for 2 years and sign a young FA or draft a guy, I think we'll be fine at LB.
If it's this cheap I hope he gets injured for the bears sake and kpl plays instead.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
We knew they were going to keep one between trevethan and kwit especially after smith injury

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Would have preferred to let him walk but as long as the money is reasonable not a big deal. He will be decent for the 8-10 games a year he plays.

LiverpoolBearsFAn

Liked Posts:
We knew they were going to keep one between trevethan and kwit especially after smith injury

Yes, and Trevathan is the better player. Like every deal there’s an element of risk, if he stays healthy it will be seen as a good decision. If he spends a lot of time injured it won’t be.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
My only squabble with this deal is that because of Trevathan’s major injury, I might’ve just let the market set the terms instead of setting them myself before free agency—maybe could’ve gotten a discount. But I suppose if the Bears believe this is a good financial deal for them to hold onto a good player who’s still not over the hill, I can’t argue too much with that.

BearDownZZ

Liked Posts:
I'm guessing this is a fairly low guarantee with backloaded incentive laden contract. The big number has good optics for a veteran but due to his age and injury history I doubt he got much up front and I believe his cap cost this year will be relatively low. If we gave him a huge guarantee then we are stupid.

I would have rather had Kwit but I'm guessing people will be shocked what he gets in free agency. Especially the guarantee.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
This should be a backloaded deal that is really a reasonable 2 year contract with $10mil or so guaranteed and a third year that will likely never matter.

Nick is obviously the player who teams project will be more valuable over the next 3-4 years.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Kudos to Nick for earning his pay day!!! I wish we would have the cash to make him an offer that is close to the Market, but that is not in the cards this year.

I would love to see him play with the Ravens so I could watch him every week...

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I don't love this move. I'd imagine Trevathan is at least counting 6M against the cap this year. I would have rather gone with a combo of Pierre-Louis and someone like Darron Lee (former 1st round pick w/ a lot of speed and ST ability) for a similar cap hit. With Trevathan, you probably still need another ILB on the roster for necessary depth.

But I can't complain about signing a good player.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I don't love this move. I'd imagine Trevathan is at least counting 6M against the cap this year. I would have rather gone with a combo of Pierre-Louis and someone like Darron Lee (former 1st round pick w/ a lot of speed and ST ability) for a similar cap hit. With Trevathan, you probably still need another ILB on the roster for necessary depth.

But I can't complain about signing a good player.

They should and i hope they do turn to bringing KPL back for that 3rd ILB role. If we can get both Trevathan and KPL for right around the same price Kwiat would of cost then i'm pretty happy with that.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Bears should get a pretty good comp pick for Kwiatkoski next season. He is expected to sign a large contract.
Kwiatkowski is a solid ILB with below average coverage skills that flashes with some big hits. He is going to get way overpaid by someone.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
My only squabble with this deal is that because of Trevathan’s major injury, I might’ve just let the market set the terms instead of setting them myself before free agency—maybe could’ve gotten a discount. But I suppose if the Bears believe this is a good financial deal for them to hold onto a good player who’s still not over the hill, I can’t argue too much with that.
The only reason I’m for this signing is smith got injured late in the year. Otherwise I would have just signed kpl and another cheaper talent.

kg1187

Liked Posts:
Nick Kwiatkoski is Ryan Pace's Danieal Manning. A late bloomer who finally figures it out in the last year of his rookie deal before departing. The same was almost true of Kyle Fuller but the Bears matched the Packers offer.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nick Kwiatkoski is Ryan Pace's Danieal Manning. A late bloomer who finally figures it out in the last year of his rookie deal before departing. The same was almost true of Kyle Fuller but the Bears matched the Packers offer.

...or he peaked in a few games in 2019 and will never be heard of again - like Cam Meredith.

kg1187

Liked Posts:
...or he peaked in a few games in 2019 and will never be heard of again - like Cam Meredith.

Cam Meredith had a horrible knee injury derailing his career. Not really a comparison.

A guy who had a few good games one season and then got a big pay deal was Trey Burton.