Trubisky ranked the 21st best QB according to The Score.com

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It's because he IS still developing. He played slightly over one season in college

Oh geez, still this? Dude is going into his third NFL season. Even a small amount of NFL experience and all that comes with it far out-values any college experience. For a third year pro, the reliance on college experience should have long been irrelevant.

Trubisky has more NFL experience than Mahomes, Watson, Darnold, Baker, Allen, Rosen, all of these guys who have come in since 2017.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
This.

Not this.

I think people need to temper their expectations. Everyone knew when he was drafted, that the biggest issue with Trubisky was his inexperience. We can re-visit all the "Pace should have drafted X!" shit if we really want to, but people do that enough on this forum. In fact, for grown ass men, some motherfuckers do it WAY too much.

You couple his inexperience, with the fact that he played under John Fox and Dowell Loggains in his first season, and you have what in all likelihood would be a complete train wreck. It wasn't. He made mistakes, he showed flashes, the offense completely sucked. His first season was underwhelming, but so are most QB's first seasons. Some saw promise, some could only see doom and gloom. Whatever.

If you came to the forums last year before the season and dropped his stats and the Bears record, people would have cheered. After the 2018 season, some still see promise, and some see doom and gloom. But what I saw was incremental growth. Not just for him, but for the other offensive playmakers and Coach Nagy. I'd love to see him come out of the gate in 2019 and just facefuck the opposing defenses. But I'm not expecting it. I'm expecting more growth. I'm expecting him to be more comfortable being a NFL QB. I'm expecting him to be more comfortable with his weapons, his coach, his grasp of the playbook, his ability to read defenses, etc. I'm expecting improvement all around. But just let it happen. Don't get all caught up on where he was drafted, who else was drafted in his same class. Let Nagy and Trubisky work.

Mitch has now started in 40 college/NFL games. 13 at UNC, 26 regular season games for the Bears, and 1 playoff game that none of us will ever forget. To put that in perspective, Deshaun Watson started in 35 games at Clemson. It takes time. Let it take time.

And then if he sucks at the end of 2019, we'll just guillotine the fucking kid and get a new one. The end.

This post is dead on. I don’t care which of the big three QBs were drafted by the Bears, each would have been stunted by Fox and all three would have shown major improvement under Nagy. Posters that think Mitch should be dominating already just don’t get it. It takes time and continuity in a system to start seeing results. Mitch was pretty damn good last year. I expect he’ll be much better this season. If the Bears are smart enough to keep Pace, Nagy and Mitch around I believe this team can start to win on a consistent basis. It is the first leadership group (Pace and Nagy) for the Bears since I have been a fan that I feel is looking for ways to get ahead of the curve and innovate.

Back to Mitch... Knowing the system better will allow him to check consistently into the right plays, get him through his progressions quicker, get the ball out on time and use some of the nuances Nagy was reluctant to throw at him in year one. That comfort should also lead to an improvement in his mechanics.
Mitch is a grinder that is willing to work hard to improve. When you combine that tenacity with the talent that he obviously has eventually you’re going to end up with a damn good QB. I hope Bear fans realize this and enjoy the team and the process.

This season has one hell of a slate of games. I believe the Bears are ready and we should witness some incredibly entertaining football. I’ll be at every home game and my travel group is going to Denver. I can’t wait for it all to start.

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This post is dead on. I don’t care which of the big three QBs were drafted by the Bears, each would have been stunted by Fox and all three would have shown major improvement under Nagy. Posters that think Mitch should be dominating already just don’t get it. It takes time and continuity in a system to start seeing results. Mitch was pretty damn good last year. I expect he’ll be much better this season. If the Bears are smart enough to keep Pace, Nagy and Mitch around I believe this team can start to win on a consistent basis. It is the first leadership group (Pace and Nagy) for the Bears since I have been a fan that I feel is looking for ways to get ahead of the curve and innovate.

Back to Mitch... Knowing the system better will allow him to check consistently into the right plays, get him through his progressions quicker, get the ball out on time and use some of the nuances Nagy was reluctant to throw at him in year one. That comfort should also lead to an improvement in his mechanics.
Mitch is a grinder that is willing to work hard to improve. When you combine that tenacity with the talent that he obviously has eventually you’re going to end up with a damn good QB. I hope Bear fans realize this and enjoy the team and the process.

This season has one hell of a slate of games. I believe the Bears are ready and we should witness some incredibly entertaining football. I’ll be at every home game and my travel group is going to Denver. I can’t wait for it all to start.

All that is great, but some ppl are hanging their hat on Mitch's inaccuracy being a learning process or early game jitters...etc.

It is just as feasible at this point that he's just doesn't have NFL accuracy and it may never come.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
My man just wants to find reason to complain. I think Trubisky takes another step next year and we go back to the playoffs

I think you're wrong. Mick doesn't find reasons to complain. I think what mick said and what botfly said are not mutually exclusive and go hand-in-hand.

He needs to grow into a top QB. He can easily take week-to-week to do so and become a top QB in the NFL by the end of the year while his 2019 overall stats may not reflect top 5 numbers and still be hitting the mark expected of a high draft pick in year 2 of a new system.

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Oh geez, still this? Dude is going into his third NFL season. Even a small amount of NFL experience and all that comes with it far out-values any college experience. For a third year pro, the reliance on college experience should have long been irrelevant.

Trubisky has more NFL experience than Mahomes, Watson, Darnold, Baker, Allen, Rosen, all of these guys who have come in since 2017.

That excuse is getting just as old as, "Fox would have ruined Mahomes and Watson, so good thing we didn't draft them." (But somehow Mitch is going to be able to overcome Fox's tainting.)

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
All that is great, but some ppl are hanging their hat on Mitch's inaccuracy being a learning process or early game jitters...etc.

It is just as feasible at this point that he's just doesn't have NFL accuracy and it may never come.
The inaccuracy last season was due to not knowing the system inside out yet. He still had to think instead of just react. Early indications from Nagy is that he is now past that stage and just reacting. He will be more accurate just based on this alone.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
No one OP listed should be ahead of him.

LOL at this. So Dak Prescott shouldn't be ahead of Mitch Trubisky?

Prescott vs. Eagles game 1 = 26-36, 270 yards, 2 TDs total
Prescott vs. Eagles game 2 = 42-54, 455 yards, 3 TDs
Prescott vs. Rams = 20-32, 266 yards, 2 TDs total

Trubisky vs. Eagles = 26-43, 303 yards, 1 TD
Trubisky vs. Rams = 16-30, 110 yards, 1 TD 3 INT

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
I think people need to temper their expectations. Everyone knew when he was drafted, that the biggest issue with Trubisky was his inexperience. We can re-visit all the "Pace should have drafted X!" shit if we really want to, but people do that enough on this forum. In fact, for grown ass men, some motherfuckers do it WAY too much.

You couple his inexperience, with the fact that he played under John Fox and Dowell Loggains in his first season, and you have what in all likelihood would be a complete train wreck. It wasn't.

HA HA HA! People still talk about the Blazers taking Bowie over Jordan, much less Oden over Durant. I guess the problem is that not only did Pace trade up to acquire Trubisky, the QB he passed over ended up winning the NFL MVP AWARD! IN HIS SECOND YEAR!! For you to simply 'gloss over' this fact with some poor language is absurd. Yet you top yourself by immediately launching into some diatribe about "inexperience" and previous coaching regimes...I'm sorry, have you not been following the NFL? Young QBs have excelled in their 1st and 2nd seasons. It happens a lot. In fact, the guy that Pace didn't draft just won the MVP.

I guess the obvious question is what point does Trubisky lose the crutch of "inexperience"? Several QBs had their best seasons under John Fox, but now we should be factoring that in to Trubisky's evaluation as something he had to overcome? I'm not sure what creates this nonsense...is it just excuse-making for Trubisky (and Pace)? Or is it ignorance of what young QBs in the NFL have accomplished in recent years?

As for Trubisky's ranking, its whatever. You have your proven elite QBs, guys who suck, and then the majority of the QBs are a jumble in the middle. Trubisky is still in that jumble as of now. Not sure why there is so much angst over this.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

This is exactly what i said early last season. He did play better closer to midseason but was pretty mediocre again after he was out for two games. He may just not be a good enough passer of the ball to be a high level QB at this level (top 10-12).

There are plenty of issues with playing the position that experience can overcome, but i never really considered accuracy an experience issue.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This is exactly what i said early last season. He did play better closer to midseason but was pretty mediocre again after he was out for two games. He may just not be a good enough passer of the ball to be a high level QB at this level (top 10-12).

There are plenty of issues with playing the position that experience can overcome, but i never really considered accuracy an experience issue.

I disagree.

I thought GB, SF, Min week 17 were some of his most efficient and best games.

GB and Min to lock down the division were more impressive to me then lighting up the Lions and Bucs.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I'm for sure taking Dak over Mitch. No hesitation.

I'm also taking Cousins over him at this point in time.

Stealing a bit from Windy's list Trubz would be behind all these guys for me at this second in time:

Brady
Big Ben
Luck
Mahomes
Rivers
Wilson
Rodgers
Ryan
Brees
Newton
Wentz
Stafford
Goff
Watson
Baker
Dak
Cousins
Carr
Dalton
Alex Smith(if His leg wasn't in 2,000 pieces)

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
None of the quarterbacks from 2017 are finished products. None of them have the same ceiling, nor will probably be exactly as consistent as each other.

None of them are finished products.

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
HA HA HA! People still talk about the Blazers taking Bowie over Jordan, much less Oden over Durant. I guess the problem is that not only did Pace trade up to acquire Trubisky, the QB he passed over ended up winning the NFL MVP AWARD! IN HIS SECOND YEAR!! For you to simply 'gloss over' this fact with some poor language is absurd. Yet you top yourself by immediately launching into some diatribe about "inexperience" and previous coaching regimes...I'm sorry, have you not been following the NFL? Young QBs have excelled in their 1st and 2nd seasons. It happens a lot. In fact, the guy that Pace didn't draft just won the MVP.

I guess the obvious question is what point does Trubisky lose the crutch of "inexperience"? Several QBs had their best seasons under John Fox, but now we should be factoring that in to Trubisky's evaluation as something he had to overcome? I'm not sure what creates this nonsense...is it just excuse-making for Trubisky (and Pace)? Or is it ignorance of what young QBs in the NFL have accomplished in recent years?

As for Trubisky's ranking, its whatever. You have your proven elite QBs, guys who suck, and then the majority of the QBs are a jumble in the middle. Trubisky is still in that jumble as of now. Not sure why there is so much angst over this.

Yep. If Trubisky ends up being a top ten guy, fans will be able to live with it and brush it off. If Trubisky ends up being a middle of the road guy, we'll never hear the end of it and rightly so.

I mean, there was three guys to chose from and we picked the first one, who might end up being the worst of the three. Pace is going to have a tough time living that down. Especially, when you factor in White & Floyd. All of them are misses in their own way.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I'm for sure taking Dak over Mitch. No hesitation.

I'm also taking Cousins over him at this point in time.

Stealing a bit from Windy's list Trubz would be behind all these guys for me at this second in time:

Brady
Big Ben
Luck
Mahomes
Rivers
Wilson
Rodgers
Ryan
Brees
Newton
Wentz
Stafford
Goff
Watson
Baker
Dak
Cousins
Carr
Dalton

Alex Smith(if His leg wasn't in 2,000 pieces)

I cannot do it. Carr and Dalton are on a multi season regression at this point.

Alex Smith is a good call if he ever plays again, which I doubt.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
What gives me hope is that we saw steady progress from Trubisky and he was better by the end of the season than he was at the beginning of the year. Significantly so, if you compare the last 3 weeks to the first 3 weeks.

When you combine that with the "flashes" and I said "flashes" of play making ability I think their is reason to think he will leapfrog some guys on the list.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Consistency. I don't even mind some take risk, gunslinger, floaters or meh ball positions I think will improve with reps and quicker reads but those throws that were just brainfades where he had nowhere to go and just forced it. He had too many of those, even for a 2nd year QB. Let's say it's late and if you need to do that even though it's not what I'm referring to, you still need throw it away from a defender( if you see him) and not necessarily directly to your target.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I cannot do it. Carr and Dalton are on a multi season regression at this point.

Alex Smith is a good call if he ever plays again, which I doubt.
Dalton at his peak is/was a multi-time Pro Bowl QB who at one point was one of the most efficient QBs in the NFL. He's proven it.

Carr at his peak made three straight PB's and put up borderline All Pro numbers for back to back seasons. Under the radar Carr actually improved last year from his 2017 form nearly across the board.

This list is about "proven" more than potential to me. Also, in Carr's case if you could tell me Derek Carr could be coached by Matt Nagy I'd take it in a second. Carr is ahead of Trubz for me at this point and it's not close. Dalton is likely "equal" with Trubz in terms of current skill level but we've seen Dalton's peak and it's better than Trubz has been and wasn't that long ago. I'd hear arguments for Dalton..not for Carr.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yep. If Trubisky ends up being a top ten guy, fans will be able to live with it and brush it off. If Trubisky ends up being a middle of the road guy, we'll never hear the end of it and rightly so.

I mean, there was three guys to chose from and we picked the first one, who might end up being the worst of the three. Pace is going to have a tough time living that down. Especially, when you factor in White & Floyd. All of them are misses in their own way.
Floyd is not a miss. White had other circumstances but may not have been all that anyway, especially in this O and you are absolutely correct about Mitch needing to become a top 10 QB.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Floyd is not a miss.

I'd say he's disappointing. Even if he is good in run support, you expect a top 10 overall pick pass rusher to get to the QB much more than Floyd does.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Floyd is not a miss. White had other circumstances but may not have been all that anyway, especially in this O and you are absolutely correct about Mitch needing to become a top 10 QB.
Floyd is a "miss" but still a good player. Miss =/= bust in my mind. When you take a pass rushing OLB at #8 overall you expect more than 15 sacks in three seasons. He hasn't been as advertised..but hasn't been a bust.