Update: Dale Sveum is the new Cubs manager

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Just heard it on ESPN....Van Pelt reported that the Sox were ready to offer him the job, when they learned the Cubs already had...no link yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Good deal...now go get Prince :)

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
read it on twitter they offered him the job he wants to wait till the Sox decide if they want to offer him it

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
I don't even know much about this guy...

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
me? nah, don't have any, bro.

but seriously though, Prince Fielder ( wont happen ) but even if it did, brings the cubs no closer to winning a World Series, hell, it wouldnt even make this squad favorites to win the division let alone a world series. by the time this team is constructed Prince will probably be 31, and if that is the case, he probably will have eaten his way onto the DL......how can a team in the NL pay this guy 20-25 for 7-10 years knowing he is about to explode and there is no DH. I can only hope that cub fans, the real fans realize that this would be a horrible move

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
but seriously though, Prince Fielder ( wont happen ) but even if it did, brings the cubs no closer to winning a World Series, hell, it wouldnt even make this squad favorites to win the division let alone a world series. by the time this team is constructed Prince will probably be 31, and if that is the case, he probably will have eaten his way onto the DL......how can a team in the NL pay this guy 20-25 for 7-10 years knowing he is about to explode and there is no DH. I can only hope that cub fans, the real fans realize that this would be a horrible move

I'm a Cubs fan and agree 100%. What the team needs now is to be rebuilt from the ground up. There needs to be a shedding of bad contracts, not a resurgence of them. There's some decent young players to build around in Castro, Barney, Garza, Cashner & Colvin, but there are holes on the team bigger than Fielder's waistline.

bleacherbum54

GoCubsGo
Liked Posts:
I'm a Cubs fan and agree 100%. What the team needs now is to be rebuilt from the ground up. There needs to be a shedding of bad contracts, not a resurgence of them. There's some decent young players to build around in Castro, Barney, Garza, Cashner & Colvin, but there are holes on the team bigger than Fielder's waistline.
I agree but
did you really just say Colvin and Barney are a building block???:nope:

same with Cashner the guy has barley played.
:tiptoe:

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dale Sveum: Next Cubs Manager and other notes |

According to multiple reports, The Cubs will name Brewers’ hitting coach Dale Sveum as their new manager. Sveum will be the Cubs 58th manager in team history. The Cubs reportedly offered Sveum the job and has 24-48 hours to accept. He was the only one to have a 2nd interview with the Cubs. We don’t think Sveum was the Cubs first choice, but it was Mike Maddux. However, Maddux withdrew his name due to family matters. Media outlets report there’s no way he will decline the Cubs job. So….we’re probably looking at the Cubs new manager. Mr. Ricketts has talked to the Cubs new manager and it has to be Dale Sveum as no names are as close to Sveum. The only statement the Cubs were saying yesterday was the “process is moving along”.

The Cubs were most likely down to Sveum and Sandy Alomar Jr. Since Francona said he was not going to manager in 2012, Mike Maddux withdrawing, Ben Cherington saying DeMarlo Hale will be back next year after the end to the 2011 season and Pete Mackalin was never considered a real option.

Dale Sveum also had a 2nd interview with the Red Sox on Tuesday. The meeting lasted about 2 and a half hours. However, Sveum left the meeting with no offer and seems like the Cubs beat the Red Sox to the punch. It was sited that Dale Sveum was their first choice and now they have to move onto other options. The Red Sox list for candidates was higher than the Cubs and I saw their list up to 9. With their owner saying more candidates could be in play. We could see a surprise manager over in Boston. If I have to guess, I would say Indians’ bench coach Sandy Alomar Jr. will be their next skipper and that wouldn’t be a bad choice.

If Dale Svuem were to accept the Cubs deal, an announcement is expected Friday. I don’t think the press conference will be on Friday too, but I say on Tuesday. They like Tuesday press conferences. That’s where Theo Epstein was announced as new President of Baseball Operations, Jed Hoyer as new General Manager and where Mike Quade was fired.

When Dale Sveum had his first interview, he praised free agent Prince Fielder. Does that mean the Cubs could make a play for Prince Fielder? He will re-unite with his old hitting coach (which he really does not need) and Chicago may be more of an attractive spot for him to land. That’s more speculation on my part, however.

Other Notes:

According to David Kaplan, the Cubs will re-sign Kerry Wood for sure and could be for 2 years. I would be fine with that. I’m just happy he will be returning.

Ugh, the Cubs and Red Sox received more time on the compensation talks and the MLB allowed the extension again. Both clubs were talking late last night, but we don’t know exactly for what. Could be compensation or a trade. My guess it has to be for compensation. However, if the Cubs and Red Sox did match up in a trade, that could be for compensation too. The Boston Globe reports the Red Sox still want a pretty good compensation package. Is it just me or does this feel like this will never end? I think the MLB needs to step in and play mediator.

The Cubs could have interest in Eric Chavez if he does not retire. He will be signed to a 1 year contract and a short-term option at the hot corner. To be honest I would rather have DJ LeMahieu or Josh Vitters over at third base. DJ or Vitters could put up better stats than Chavez and it would be better to play the kids. I don’t see a Chavez signing, unless if it was to come off the bench.

That’s the latest from a Wednesday at the GM Meetings…taken over by the Cubs new manager Dale Sveum.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
True, but Pie only showed potential in the minors, while Cashner has showed he can pitch in the majors. IF he can stay healthy.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
@ChiTribRogers
Phil Rogers Source: Cubs finishing details w/Sveum but won't reach deal before tonight. Friday news conference expected.

Ready to get this over with and start on team

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts: