Update: Dale Sveum is the new Cubs manager

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
its kind of move i expected. He has ties with BOS, into sabermetrics. Now the next thing im curious about is the coaching staff

AE23

from 68th
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would liked Mike Maddux, or his bro :shifty:

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would liked Mike Maddux, or his bro :shifty:

I liked Mike as well, but I'm intrigued by Dale. Very interested in seeing what he can do. Could be a diamond in the rough.

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Was highly regarded in Milwaukee.. When he was interim there were a lot of people disappointed he didn't get the full time manager.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
The fact that Boston wanted him to makes me think there's more to him than meets the eye.

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
At least he doesn't look like Uncle Fester.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
some cards from his playing days

Dale_Sveum.jpg

dale.jpg

You know what that means!

'Stache up, bro!

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's entirely possible that Theo out-RedSoxed the Red Sox.

That's what I'm thinking. I'd rather work for Theo than a new guy, like Cherington even though he was under Epstein.

Lex L.

Liked Posts:
I wonder if this means they're going after Fielder.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not likely. Who would you want to manage? It's not even close. The red sox said no.

That might be true on the surface, but Mike Maddux didn't even want to interview in Boston. He at least gave the Cubs job a look-see before he declined. So we really don't know what the thinking was by any party and can only conjecture. All things being equal, if both teams talked to Sveum twice and Sveum still decided to go to Chicago, that means A) he would rather be a Cub; B) he wants to be close to where he lives in the Milwaukee/Chicago area; C) the Cubs offered him more money/freedom/whatever than he could refuse; D) something else; E) all of the above.

If I were a managerial candidate I'd probably want to manage the team with the best chance of winning. But I'm not Dale Sveum.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
That might be true on the surface, but Mike Maddux didn't even want to interview in Boston. He at least gave the Cubs job a look-see before he declined. So we really don't know what the thinking was by any party and can only conjecture. All things being equal, if both teams talked to Sveum twice and Sveum still decided to go to Chicago, that means A) he would rather be a Cub; B) he wants to be close to where he lives in the Milwaukee/Chicago area; C) the Cubs offered him more money/freedom/whatever than he could refuse; D) something else; E) all of the above.

If I were a managerial candidate I'd probably want to manage the team with the best chance of winning. But I'm not Dale Sveum.

Alot of talk that BOS owner is a complete ASS and people dont like working for him. Also another report where Cherrington pick was Dale but ownership went over his head and said no that they want a veteran manager.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Alot of talk that BOS owner is a complete ASS and people dont like working for him. Also another report where Cherrington pick was Dale but ownership went over his head and said no that they want a veteran manager.

They're looking at Bobby Valentine. That's gonna be amusing :lol:

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
That is why Dale gave it 24 hours before accepting as reported on ESPN. He wanted the Red Sox. They didn't want him. If it's Dale's choice he chooses the Red Sox. Tons more flexibility and talent year after year after year.

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:

Henry? Yeah, he's a douche from what I've heard. Good fit for Boston.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
That is why Dale gave it 24 hours before accepting as reported on ESPN. He wanted the Red Sox. They didn't want him. If it's Dale's choice he chooses the Red Sox. Tons more flexibility and talent year after year after year.

If what was said above is true, Cherington wanted Sveum but the Red Sox overruled him, so it's not exactly that cut and dry. Either way, Sveum thought of the Cubs as a top choice or else he would've told them to fuck off when they called for an interview.