UPDATE: John Fox in negotiation with Bears to become next head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryang

Liked Posts:
Fox has a history of turning around dumpster fire teams, can't really ignore his body of work. Just don't keep him around for too long.

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
If we take John Fox

Mediocrity-Setting-the-Bar-Low.jpg

You-Salty.gif

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I agree its a thin HC crop this year. Fox should be helpful on the defensive side of the ball personnel-wise, as I expect the Bears to draft defense this year.

Its hard to give him credit for the Broncos. That was a built team and he added Manning as a free agent.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
You dont hire a HC with the intention of them being a placeholder/short term solution.

Guess well find out if George was serious about being sick of mediocrity. If Fox is hired he was full of shit.

AHSIllini32

Liked Posts:
I wonder why Quinn or Bevell hasn't gotten an interview, maybe Ernie sees something there based on their roster talent? Or is it cause they're still in the playoffs?

But Fox would be a safe pick, not the sexiest pick. But one to where Pace can learn from. He does fit the mold of being a Parcells/ Payton type.

And to add to that, maybe Pace had an inside track on HC jobs which he got a nugget of info about Broncos & Fox- not meeting Superbowl expectations and them blowing it all up, which got Pace the job...?

Just second guessing all this, thoughts?

I'm pretty sure the Bears did interview Quinn.

Fox and Bowles are in my top 3 with Quinn but it seems like Quinn is destined to be the next Jets head coach.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Here are my thoughts on Jon Fox.

Jon Fox is a good coach. You do not go 119-89 in the NFL without being a good coach. And NO, I will not discount his season's with Peyton Manning unless we are also discounting all of Sean Payton, Bill Belichek, and Mike McCarthy's seasons with HOF QBs.

John Fox would bring experience, credibility, stability, and professionalism to the Bears. He would run a tight locker room and the Bears would stop being an embarrassment. After the Trestman debacle that might not be the worst thing in the world. The Bears have serious issues to tackle and they may be too much for a first time HC who is learning as he goes.

Fox would also allow a young inexperienced GM in Ryan Pace get settled in without worrying about managing a 1st time HC.

Fox also has a ton of connections and would more than likely bring a great staff with him.

That being said I think that you know what you are getting with Fox. He is not an elite HC and he won't develop into one. He will make the Bears respectable, but may not make them elite.

Fox is not my #1 target. I would like to take a shot at a young guy that could become our Mike Tomlin, or Sean Payton. But I understand and respect why the Bears would go with Fox.

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
Has this 2323 guy always been so ornery? It's one thing to argue vehemently over a good point. But the only argument I've seen presented is "DERP....HE TOTALLY SAID THAT LIKE TWO DAYS AGO!!!!!! IT DOESNT COUNT NOW!!!! DERP"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrOuija

Liked Posts:
Who is the better option right now over John Fox?

Honestly, that's for Pace to figure out. What we do know is that Fox will only take you so far. The Bears should be looking for a new HC the same way they'll look for their 1st round pick, someone with a high ceiling, not a low floor. A guy that could be dynamic and a difference maker, not a solid starter. If you don't look for that type of guy you'll never find him and always be second fiddle to GB.

Escobar's Army

Liked Posts:
If he can be mediocre and get us to the SB, I will take that 8 days a week, seriously how can you call a guy that has taken both of the teams he has coached to the SB. Marvin Lewis is mediocre.

Rise

Liked Posts:
lol, you are making shit up

Go ahead and try to find another year where no HC was hired until two weeks after black Monday. Maybe you will eventually find one, but you will see it is not the norm by any stretch and you will realize I'm not making anything up.

Rise

Liked Posts:
Honestly, that's for Pace to figure out. What we do know is that Fox will only take you so far. The Bears should be looking for a new HC the same way they'll look for their 1st round pick, someone with a high ceiling, not a low floor. A guy that could be dynamic and a difference maker, not a solid starter. If you don't look for that type of guy you'll never find him and always be second fiddle to GB.

The QB position is why we are second fiddle to GB. Are you trying to say Fox with a Rodgers level qb would not have success?

Liked Posts:
Has this 2323 guy always been so ornery? It's one thing to argue vehemently over a good point. But the only argument I've seen presented is "DERP....HE TOTALLY SAID THAT LIKE TWO DAYS AGO!!!!!! IT DOESNT COUNT NOW!!!! DERP"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not from North Carolina. I don't say derp.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
with Fox O will be all but ignored, the only reason he had an O in Denver was Elway bringing Manning in.

Its ridiculous that you say the QB position situation is the reason we struggle with GB but then advocate hiring Fox. And then you fail to realize that hes had a QB of Rodgers caliber for the past few years, and despite that was essentially fired.

lol

MrOuija

Liked Posts:
The QB position is why we are second fiddle to GB. Are you trying to say Fox with a Rodgers level qb would not have success?

Success sure, a superbowl win, no. He just had a "Rodgers level QB" in Manning and got obliterated last year, only to lay down in the playoffs this year.

Kazu2324

Liked Posts:
For the very reasons Ive stated, Hue as shown potential and hasnt had enough of a chance whereas Fox has a huge body of work and its clear that all youll be getting is an average HC at best. Denver was as stacked talent wise as any team could possibly hope for, more so than the Bears will ever be, and he still failed to win a SB. Hes not going to come to Chicago and win one... at best youll get a few playoff appearances over the course of a decade, just like in Carolina.

In other words, a return to Lovie. Yay.

Fair enough. That's a pretty solid answer. I was just more curious about Jackson in general, not relative to Fox. I was just curious if you saw him with like a really good offense or whether he was particularly creative, etc. I just haven't seen much of Jackson as a coach, so I'm just trying to get input to see what others see. I agree that Denver's stacked talent-wise and it's a shame that Fox couldn't get it done despite having Manning at the helm. But Manning does also have a pretty bad history of choking in playoffs so I just put blame on the both of them for the failures of the Broncos. But then again, at least they've been consistently contending since Fox arrived, which isn't something the Bears can even say for the last like decade and a half. So it's hard to say. I really think Fox would be a good coach to turn the ship around and get back into contention, but like you said, he wouldn't take us to a SB win most likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.