UPDATE: John Fox in negotiation with Bears to become next head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

TezMaKai

Liked Posts:
Mike McCarthy is a horrible coach because last season, Green Bay couldn't win without Rodgers. Sean Payton is a horrible coach because he couldn't win with drew brees this year. Jim Harbaugh (who everyone wanted) is a horrible coach because he couldn't make the playoffs with a talented SF roster

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
John Fox is a very safe hire. He is someone who can get this team to a respectable place, get to the playoffs, win some games here and there.

The thing is, Fox isn't someone that isn't going to get Pace fired, and is a veteran coach who Pace can lean on as he grows into his role and expands his power within Halas Hall. He's Doug Collins. A safe point A to Point B hire.

Which right now, is ok. Because it could be damaging with a lot of unproven coordinators out there that don't exactly set the world on fire, picking the wrong one could land Pace out of a job.

Hiring Fox, if they do it, is a smart move for Pace and the team long term, because you have a head coach who will leave the team better than he found it, and that will allow Pace to really make a power move at the right time for the right guy, when that time is right.

John Fox isn't exciting, but if hired, he's respectable, and if Pace ends up being a very good one, he can make John Fox look damn good if they find the right quarterback.

why would Elway fire him? According to the media, fox just got done having the 'greatest Qb ever' in Manning.

cobra302

Liked Posts:
Frankly, none of the potential head coaching candidates out there excite me all that much. I'd say Fox is about as good as any of the others, at least he has a winning record. I don't think Gase is the answer because Peyton Manning was the real Broncos offensive coordinator. That may also apply to Fox, who knows? It's all a crapshoot.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
Reports are that "internally" the Bears want to pair Pace with a vet HC, so it sounds like Teddy and co are meddling. If this hire goes through, its the same old Bears and the future will hold nothing but mediocrity due to an ineffectual GM and a average at best HC. Without Manning Fox will be terrible.

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
Reports are that "internally" the Bears want to pair Pace with a vet HC, so it sounds like Teddy and co are meddling. If this hire goes through, its the same old Bears and the future will hold nothing but mediocrity due to an ineffectual GM and a average at best HC.

What if its the right fit? I mean just throwing this out there but what if pace decides hey I can find the guys that make this system work and we can win 50 games in the next 4 years

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
The Bears need to get to the playoffs first to even have a shot at the Super Bowl. I'm not saying John Fox is the Messiah, but the dude at least he gets teams to the Super bowl, loss or not.

so why would Elway fire him. Nobody wants to answer the obvious question.

GSH_34

Liked Posts:
He doesn't excite me. I see him as Lovie 2.0. Fox would return the Bears to a good team, but I highly doubt he'd make them a GREAT team. And the worst place to be in the NFL is mediocre - able to beat the tomato cans but unable to beat the contenders. W/o Manning, that's what Fox is, a .500 coach.

No thanks. I'd rather have Teryl Austin and his physical, aggressive & attacking style of play.
He's not Lovie 2.0 though. He actually pays attention to the offense and makes sure his coordinators adapt to the personnel.

I don't think that's a fair comparison at all.

Sometimes all it takes is a coach to find an organization that is the right fit. The DNA matches up. Fox wants to run the ball and play physical on defense. Might be a good match for us.

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
You can throw it out there but Im not catching it.

With John Fox as HC the Bears will hover around 500 at best.

so your a kray kray bears fan too haha much luv mang

brad-pit-hat-tip.gif

tarlyn

Liked Posts:
Those reports are just spitballing and assuming that a young GM would want an experienced HC like what the Steelers did. There has been nothing from the Bears stating this.

If the Bears hired Ballard it would have been "I told you same ole Bears hiring from the same ole well again!"

They hire Pace and its "I told you same old Bears hiring some young so they can bully him around to do what they want!"

Pace is his own man and can certainly take the advice of other people in the room and make his own decision. Its a good thing to get as much information as possible before making an important decision but he is not going to do something he doesn't feel comfortable with regardless of what Teddy says.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
Frankly, none of the potential head coaching candidates out there excite me all that much. I'd say Fox is about as good as any of the others, at least he has a winning record. I don't think Gase is the answer because Peyton Manning was the real Broncos offensive coordinator. That may also apply to Fox, who knows? It's all a crapshoot.

I read on twitter the other day a report that said teams aren't hiring quickly because frankly...none of the candidates "blow them away". I think we are searching for a coach at a time when the creek is dry. Why not Brian Billick?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Jon Fox will not be the reason the Bears hover around .500.

Mediocre talent and no QB will be the reason the Bears hover around .500, like most of the Lovie era.

Lovie was a good coach, like Fox, and when he had above average talent he was very successful.

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:

Mediocre talent and no QB will be the reason the Bears hover around .500, like most of the Lovie era.

Lovie was a good coach, like Fox, and when he had above average talent he was very successful.
I honestly think windy if they do hire fox that pace could build a winning org with fox's system in place what are your thoughts on that

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
He's not Lovie 2.0 though. He actually pays attention to the offense and makes sure his coordinators adapt to the personnel.

I don't think that's a fair comparison at all.

Sometimes all it takes is a coach to find an organization that is the right fit. The DNA matches up. Fox wants to run the ball and play physical on defense. Might be a good match for us.

The only reason he had an O in Denver has Elway handing him Manning.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Is it really crazy that a young 1st time GM would want an experienced and established coach?

Fox would allow Pace to get settled as the GM without having to deal with the type of stuff we saw last season.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:

Oh, sure all it took was the Gm giving him Manning to win with any consistency... quality coach there, forget his 9 years in Carolina.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Quote Originally Posted by run and shoot View Post
WHY did HE ( fox) HAVE TO SUDDENLY, QUOTE..... STEP DOWN AND OR PART WAYS WITH DENVER..... UNQUOTE.

Are you a fucking parrot?

I know it pisses ppl. off when they can't or won't ANSWER THE OBVIOUS FUCKING QUESTION.

Status
Not open for further replies.