UPDATE: John Fox in negotiation with Bears to become next head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
No one is guaranteed not to be mediocre, or even terrible, but I rather risk failure for the chance of something greater.

Id be optimistic with Bowels, Gase, Austin, Jackson, etc. I might not be as high on some as others, but in the end Id have hope.

Fox and Shanahan are about the only two names that would be leave me feeling absolutely pessimistic.

What about them in a concrete manner as a coach makes you optimistic about young hot coordinators like them?

I'm not really high at all on Gase or Austin. I think your indication of the 8-8 mostly in 3 years is likely to fit them. Mainly a lot of young guys struggle as HCs, and they're expected to come into a new team staff with an expected complete coaching staff turnover. They don't a great deal of connections or experience to show they can handle a whole team and keep multiple sides of the football working well. I don't believe in being optimistic of the "unknown" factor because it's not something you have experience to critique.

But we have historically seen HCs who seem mediocre in the past not be that way with new teams. Even without Manning Fox found ways to get his teams to win and found ways to have effective teams on both sides of the ball. He might not be an turn around but It's not a certain average results situation to be definitive. He's not my #1 choice either though.

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
Did Fox make it to the playoffs in Denver without Peyton?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

pops-bang-bang-bang-o.gif

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
Yes, he made it to the play off 3 times out of nine years.

But I wouldnt expect him to make it to the playoff with the Bears in three years.

Youre happy about that hbk? Getting to the place once in a while between otherwise shitty seasons? He never made the playoffs two years consecutively and only made them once in his final 5 years, not at all his last two going 2-14 his final year.

If Pace is going to give him a Manning level QB then great, but any average coach would work in that scenario.

I just find it shocking that so many of you are excited about a return to lovie.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
If we hire Fox we will finish 3nd or 4th in our division every year with him and we won't make the playoffs once...is that what we really want?

1) the next 2 years, that will likely happen no matter WHO is the coach, because of a near 20 years of HORRIBLE DRAFTING, aside from 2005 and 2006, and Long, Fuller, Forte and Jeffrey.

2) Regardless of coach, the only way we get better is through better drafting. And I'd rather have a knowledgeable, steady hand to coach this talent than take a chance on unknowns and risk the bafoonery we had the past 2 years.

1ke

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Bucks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

But I wouldnt expect him to make it to the playoff with the Bears in three years.

Youre happy about that hbk? Getting to the place once in a while between otherwise shitty seasons?

I'm sorry, I thought i asked you a specific question. Did John Fox coach the Denver Broncos coach the Broncos to the playoffs without Peyton Manning?

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Well what pisses me off is darn near every-time somebody gets fired, there's a segment of ppl. who start up several uniformed threads about why we should hire somebody, who we who wasn't deemed worthy by the previous team. In this case, "parting of ways" sounds like fired. Same thing happened to fox in Carolina in 2010.

GSH_34

Liked Posts:
Also, I don't necessarily agree that Pace needs a more experienced coach to help him. That, to me, is putting the coaching search on a box. Pace will choose the coach with the next combination of leadership, discipline and dynamics because that is his philosophy.

If that's Fox, great. If not though, I don't think Pace would try to force the fit.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:

Youre happy about that hbk? Getting to the place once in a while between otherwise shitty seasons? He never made the playoffs two years consecutively and only made them once in his final 5 years, not at all his last two before going 2-14.

That's fine if you think that, but I see no logical consistency in the process if you think different when it comes to Bowels, Gaines, Austin, or Jackson.

You may feel more "optimistic" about them but that shouldn't affect your judgement.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jon Fox will not be the reason the Bears hover around .500.

Mediocre talent and no QB will be the reason the Bears hover around .500, like most of the Lovie era.

Lovie was a good coach, like Fox, and when he had above average talent he was very successful.

Agreed, the players we are going to bring are SO MUCH more important than who actually calls the plays.

With the said, I think Fox would be a great HC candidate for the next 2-4 year gap.

sam slocum

Liked Posts:
At the very least, I see Fox as someone who could bring professionalism to a locker room. Not sure if any of the young coordinators can do that, but what youth we have on the team needs to learn how a locker room should be run.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

Youre happy about that hbk? Getting to the place once in a while between otherwise shitty seasons? He never made the playoffs two years consecutively and only made them once in his final 5 years, not at all his last two going 2-14 his final year.
You do realize that the 2-14 season was with Clausen as a rookie, right? You may want to look at the roster of that 2010 team and recognize it was a miracle that the Panthers even won 2 games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Carolina_Panthers_season

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Well what pisses me off is darn near every-time somebody gets fired, there's a segment of ppl. who start up several uniformed threads about why we should hire somebody, who we who wasn't deemed worthy by the previous team. In this case, "parting of ways" sounds like fired. Same thing happened to fox in Carolina in 2010.

Because not being deemed worthy by the previous team doesn't mean the person isn't potentially able to come into a new place and be a successful HC. History shows that it's the case. So to make overly significant purpose to the exact details of the parting isn't relevant to many people.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
I'm sorry, I thought i asked you a specific question. Did John Fox coach the Denver Broncos coach the Broncos to the playoffs without Peyton Manning?

Oh, sorry I though you asked about Carolina. Yes, they snuck into the playoff with, guess what? 8-8 record. The Bears and dumbass Barber helped by handing them a game.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I am not going into the backyard to set off fireworks about hiring Jon Fox.

But at the same time I am not setting off fireworks about Bowles, Quinn, or Austin, because who knows if they are good HCs.

There was one fireworks worthy coach and he went to Michigan.

sam slocum

Liked Posts:

If you coach long enough, you will be fired.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
And we've already established that no matter who the Bears pick of who's out there, you'll bitch and complain about it. So pardon me if I don't take seriously the meatball who hates everything.

Well, weve definitely established that you dont bother to read before posting considering just a few posts up I named candidates I would be ok with.

But oh, because Im not on board with the idea of shitty retreads that must mean I wont like anyone.

Perhaps you should start a thread about it.

tarlyn

Liked Posts:
Oh, sorry I though you asked about Carolina. Yes, they snuck into the playoff with, guess what? 8-8 record. The Bears and dumbass Barber helped by handing them a game.

Finally something I agree with.....family are Denver fans and even they acknowledged that we had beaten them that game until dipshit Barber runs out of bounds. Right up there with that Falcons game where we squib kicked it right after going up a few points with and end up giving up the game winning FG with like 11 seconds.

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:

If Pace is going to give him a Manning level QB then great, but any average coach would work in that scenario.

I just find it shocking that so many of you are excited about a return to lovie.
fox is better than lovie man

he will give the young guys we have and the new ones coming in great solid coaching so the young talent wont be wasted

I think fox's system is proven to be a winner it just needs the right personel

my only question mark is can pace get the job done and bring in the right people to make it work.

the bears orginazation needs someone like fox he is a sure bet imo that your team will be well coached disciplined (you wont see half our defense running one play and the other half running something else like the shitshow we have been watching)and he draws tons of talent in the coord department I honestly think this could be a win

I for sure like him better than any of the other cadidates though I still think kubiak would have been the best option for the bears that guy coulda really did something with this offensive roster

tarlyn

Liked Posts:

Mutual parting of ways usually means the team wont be on the hook for all of the cash.....no idea what deal they struck here if any but if he was out right fired the Broncos would have to pay him every cent. To me this means that Fox knew he would have another job lined up and agreed to the mutual parting. All speculation of course.....just reading tea leaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.