UPDATE: John Fox in negotiation with Bears to become next head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Just an FYI to put it out there.

Here is a list of coaches Manning didn't win a Super Bowl for.
Jim Mora
Jim Caldwell
John Fox
(I may be missing a couple of part time coaches)

Here is a list of coaches he did win a super bowl for
Tony Dungy

GSH_34

Liked Posts:
Idk about that. We had a very strong D for the majority of the time Cutler has been in a Bears uniform and he has 1 win against GB. His play against GB has simply been pathetic. Every year I would get my hopes up that this is the time Jay puts it together and lights the Packers up but every year he buckled.

Jay Cutler played perfect in the Week 17 game against them last year and we still lost because the defense crapped the bed. The key to beating Green Bay isn't getting Cutler to play great. It's getting a strong defense that can give Rodgers trouble and taking the load of Jay's shoulders on offense. Pretty much the Seattle model, which I know it will take some time to get there, but Green Bay doesn't really scare me all that much. They're still so reliant on Rodgers and until they get stronger on defense they are definitely beatable.

Joker85

Liked Posts:
I think the thing with Fox is we know his ceiling. There is no hope that becomes a Harbaugh or Tomlin. Bears fans are kind of disappointed because there is always the blind hope that whoever the next new first timer the Bears hire would have been the one. The superstar. Even with our former coach it was the same deal. I admit I feel the same way, knowing exactly what we would get in a Fox takes some of the hope and freshness off. But at the same time he is in all probability the best out there. It's pointless to hire yet another first timer just for a few months or a year tops of hope and hype before reality sets in.

If there is no home run out there at the moment, hire Fox give him a few years to at least right the ship and hopefully oversee the successful transition from the Jay Cutler (and possibly Brandon Marshal) era, and back to something at least respectable on defense. At least with Fox we know it won't be an abject disaster. Then see where we are in 2-3 years. Do we have a new promising QB yet? How does our defense look? Are we a new hot coach away from being over the top as Denver seems to think they are?

At the end of the day if there are zero future top 5 coaches in this crop... it's not so bad to settle with a top 15er rather than rolling the dice and ending up with a bottom 5 again trying to manage our long climb out of the cellar.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If you look at the last 20 years we are a bottom team. In fact Jax has made the playoffs more than the Bears. I do agree to a point though. I expect consistent improvement each year and to hopefully start to feel like we are contending by year 3. It won't take 5 years to be a good team if we draft right.
20 years is irrelevant. Teams go from worst to first in a year or two years regularly in the NFL. It's entirely possible for the Bears to be competitive in 2016 if not next year.

GSH_34

Liked Posts:
Seems like it was only yesterday it was being reported that NOBODY wanted the Bears job and it's the worst available.
The media sucks. It's hard to know what is fact and what is fiction anymore. Everyone has sources and they often say different things. I'm still learning how to sift out the good stuff.

Like the Fox situation right now. The momentum and interest is from his end. Not saying the Bears aren't interested, but the way the media is acting you'd think Fox was a done deal. If that were the case I highly doubt we would still be interviewing other candidates right now.

If Fox were hands down our #1 pick I think we'd already be interviewing him and extending an offer. Pace is going to see this process out and hire the best fit for the job.

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
Quarterbacks don't hire and fire headcoaches much less gm's

Jester

White Guy
Liked Posts:
20 years is irrelevant. Teams go from worst to first in a year or two years regularly in the NFL. It's entirely possible for the Bears to be competitive in 2016 if not next year.

Bearmick, in general I agree with you. However, there are special cases, where teams do seem to be a bit cursed and defy all statistics. Chicago Cubs ? Has there been a more losing franchise in all of sports? Not just baseball but ALL SPORTS. It's starting to feel that way with the Bears LMAO. Oh Bears picked this guy so I bet he is going to suck !!! It almost becomes expected, then a menatlity, then becomes the that team for decades.

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
entire arguments turned rere

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I can't be listening to all this stuff about how the roster is so awful that it'll take at least 3-5 years to get better. Six months ago the narrative on this board is how we're in win now mode and have overtaken Green Bay as long as the defense is ranked above 20. Let's face it, none of us have any clue how Fox would do and how long it would take him and Pace to get the Bears winning. It could be next season, it could be never. All this years and years of rebuilding ahead nonsense is nonsense.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Bearmick, in general I agree with you. However, there are special cases, where teams do seem to be a bit cursed and defy all statistics. Chicago Cubs ? Has there been a more losing franchise in all of sports? Not just baseball but ALL SPORTS. It's starting to feel that way with the Bears LMAO. Oh Bears picked this guy so I bet he is going to suck !!! It almost becomes expected, then a menatlity, then becomes the that team for decades.
I don't believe in the supernatural, jester. I'm not that kind of fan. We should leave the superstitious stuff to baseball.

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I can't be listening to all this stuff about how the roster is so awful that it'll take at least 3-5 years to get better. Six months ago the narrative on this board is how we're in win now mode and have overtaken Green Bay as long as the defense is ranked above 20. Let's face it, none of us have any clue how Fox would do and how long it would take him and Pace to get the Bears winning. It could be next season, it could be never. All this years and years of rebuilding ahead nonsense is nonsense.

Agree here. The feeling on this team has went a complete 180 since the beginning of the season on this board. I personally think its a bit of over reaction, and with the right moves could be competing next year.

Rise

Liked Posts:

I thought the Bears were in win now mode but I didn't agree that they should be. I thought it was very foolish to try and pretend that Cutler is the type of qb that you build around and would mask weaknesses. Emery acted like we had Peyton Manning.

I didn't expect 5-11 but I was not expecting serious contention either. You're right you can have hope for a miracle year next year, but I just don't see how they can replenish this entire roster in a way that gives us a bright future and present in one offseason.

I'd love it to happen though.

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
Hey can I get some cliffnotes on the last 20 pages?

Seems like Fox coming to the Bears is being met with a resounding 'ho-hum'

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I thought the Bears were in win now mode but I didn't agree that they should be. I thought it was very foolish to try and pretend that Cutler is the type of qb that you build around and would mask weaknesses. Emery acted like we had Peyton Manning.

I didn't expect 5-11 but I was not expecting serious contention either. You're right you can have hope for a miracle year next year, but I just don't see how they can replenish this entire roster in a way that gives us a bright future and present in one offseason.

I'd love it to happen though.
To be clear, I don't think we're winning anything next year, but with good personnel management and coaching, I think we could be back in the mix soon. And that's my point: the mix in this league is huge.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, they do have someone to blame. A SB team with a less than super coach.

Pace is his own man. If he wants Fox, he'll take him. If Fox fails, I want Pace the fuck out of here. I can't stand another 4 years of losing. This is Fox's 3 rd team. If he was hired as HC, I expect a SB run in the next 2 years.

Can't disagree more, I want Pace to be here for 10+ years and be given another hire so long as he doesn't Emery things up. Fox could be a good hire now and in a few years transition to a younger coach.

Bearfanfromnewjersey

Liked Posts:
I do not want fox. Lets get an up and coming coach who isnt going to be collecting his social security checks soon

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Wuts wrong with SS checks?

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
Last time we wanted an up and coming coach we got Trestman

Bears NEVER hire the known quantity, so lets do that this time

Trestman was not up and coming FWIW unless you consider going from NFL to College to CFL up and coming.

policeman

Son of beech
Liked Posts:
I do not want fox. Lets get an up and coming coach who isnt going to be collecting his social security checks soon

I say fuck that. Gimme experience over youth and stupidity any day.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.