UPDATE: John Fox in negotiation with Bears to become next head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kekua Zombie

Liked Posts:
Asking a young guy to come in and fix a broken team, while learning to be a head coach is a lot to ask.

This^

Most of these candidates are still learning how to be coordinators let alone head coaches. We need a vet to sort out this clusterfuck of a team we have.

The other guys need to go to the CFL to get that head coaching exper......well maybe not.

SlipScreen

Liked Posts:
i don't understand the whole Quinn hype sure the lions had a good defense but he was only the DC for ONE year ... that makes him the "one"?

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
I have no idea why the hate for Fox. Well I do, but anyway.

Every other choice is pretty much a chance. You really can never tell what a coordinator will do as a HC, its a totally different job. It's actually amazing how people act like they're so certain some coordinator will be some great HC. It's silly.

The only sure thing was Arians and uh, yea

That makes absolutely no sense cause Arians was never a head coach before Arizona. And don't give me the 9 game interim bullshit either cause that's way too small a sample size to just assume he was gonna be a good head coach. It turns out he is a pretty good HC but absolutely nobody knew that before he was hired.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He's fucking 59.

And you know you'd be creaming yourself and counting our future superbowl wins if they brought in Bill Belichick's 62-year-old ass.

1st off, yes I would!
2nd off, the fact that the above 2 are close in age is where the similarities stop, and I mean right fucking there.
3rd, Austin, Bowles, and Quinn all would have signaled a new and fresh direction, which is what the dinosaurs in the front office need to accept and implement.
4th, Are Austin, Bowles, or Quinn guaranteed success stories? No, they're not. But if you are looking for a sure thing, I suggest becoming a fan of the Chinese ping pong league.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
i don't understand the whole Quinn hype sure the lions had a good defense but he was only the DC for ONE year ... that makes him the "one"?

Clearly, you have no clue at all! Quinn was the DC for Seattle, Austin was the Lions DC.

Rise

Liked Posts:
That makes absolutely no sense cause Arians was never a head coach before Arizona. And don't give me the 9 game interim bullshit either cause that's way too small a sample size to just assume he was gonna be a good head coach. It turns out he is a pretty good HC but absolutely nobody knew that before he was hired.

He won coach of the year....

GSH_34

Liked Posts:
This^

Most of these candidates are still learning how to be coordinators let alone head coaches. We need a vet to sort out this clusterfuck of a team we have.

The other guys need to go to the CFL to get that head coaching exper......well maybe not.

I don't agree that this is always the case though. For every Josh McDaniels there is a Mike Tomlin or a Sean Peyton. Granted, Pittsburgh already had a great culture.

You don't hire a guy just because he has experience. Don't force the fit. Hire the best guy for the job. The guy who's philosophy lines up with ours best. Yeah, Fox may smooth things out in the short term, but if it's a force-fit situation then long term we'll have problems.

And if we're all in on Fox, why haven't we scheduled his interview already? If he's by far and away the candidate we want, why even both with Austin or anyone else?

I think we are definitely interested in him and have zeroed in on him as a candidate, but there's still a long way to go. And I'm still on the Austin train, which just arrived at Halas Hall Station today (yeah, that was lame).

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I'm all for this hire. Harbaugh was my first choice but I would accept this. He puts together a pretty good staff and we don't hear about him losing the team. After trestman nonsense this could be really really good move. Another thing people so scared cause he is 60 with health issues. Based on the staffs he puts together his eventual replacement could also be right on the staff so there would be continuaty if this is a successful hire and he has to step down due to health issues.

Best part is he will run a 4-3 so the 3-4 crowd can take it up the ass once again lmfao

Tricky part is now cutler stay, go, stays and draft eventual replacement????

Toast88

Liked Posts:
If true, the deal must be practically done.

It's clear Fox wants the Bears. And the Bears want Fox.

cd35

Liked Posts:

Yes it didn't mean anything the success he had and that he was coach of the year. Nothing could have been told from that. He totally didn't show if he could do the job.

Rise

Liked Posts:
1st off, yes I would!
2nd off, the fact that the above 2 are close in age is where the similarities stop, and I mean right fucking there.
3rd, Austin, Bowles, and Quinn all would have signaled a new and fresh direction, which is what the dinosaurs in the front office need to accept and implement.
4th, Are Austin, Bowles, or Quinn guaranteed success stories? No, they're not. But if you are looking for a sure thing, I suggest becoming a fan of the Chinese ping pong league.

Nobody knows if they will be good or not I agree. However any of those 3 have similarities to wanny, jauron, and Lovie don't you think? Fox is the type of hire I have never seen the Bears make, much like Pace was the type of hire I have never seen the Bears make. Accorsi is running this show now, deal with it.

RunRunRunPunt

Liked Posts:
Finally things are changing at Hallas Hall.

John Fox is probably the best choice right now.The mental mess the Bears are in is quite alot for a rookie coach.

I dont know what his opinion is about Cutler but it would be quite interesting if the Bears are going to rebuild or if they are going to go with the same veterans.

Personally I think Cutler,Marshall and Bennett are going to shipped out of town by Pace.

GSH_34

Liked Posts:
If true, the deal must be practically done.

It's clear Fox wants the Bears. And the Bears want Fox.

Then why bother with Austin? Why no interview with Fox yet?

There is mutual interest, no doubt about it. But I think the media might be making more of this than there actually is. We've already adhered to the Rooney rule with Bowles so why even continue on if Fox is the guy?

Also, Dan and Terry got the drop on all the NFL guys with this one? Yeah, I don't believe it.

Mitchapalooza

Finally things are changing at Hallas Hall.

John Fox is probably the best choice right now.The mental mess the Bears are in is quite alot for a rookie coach.

I dont know what his opinion is about Cutler but it would be quite interesting if the Bears are going to rebuild or if they are going to go with the same veterans.

Personally I think Cutler,Marshall and Bennett are going to shipped out of town by Pace.

stop. just stop. no.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Yes it didn't mean anything the success he had and that he was coach of the year. Nothing could have been told from that. He totally didn't show if he could do the job.

That still at the time didn't guarantee he'd be a good head coach. Don't tell me you knew he would cause you didn't. Head coaches have coached good for one team and not another one. I would have rather had him myself but it's done and over with.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I wasn't very excited at the first hearing of Fox, but after looking at the other candidates, he is likely the best of the crop.

Sometimes, it is just about timing. Enter Lovie Smith, an average at best coach, but he came to Chicago with the right players (Urlacher, Briggs, Tillman) and the right time in the league (Cover 2 was in vogue, QBs weren't as babied, you could still bump WR's, the OT position was power over speed). Look at him now post the Cover 2 era, he took a 4-12 team and made it worse!

Fox may be the right hire at this time. We are trying to rebuild the defense, and he will help evaluate talent in the draft, coach the young players correctly, and develop talent on defense. The locker room is a mess right now, and he should sort that out. We need good coordinators, and he can likely find those.

Right fit at the right time for Fox to solidy a defense and a shaky locker room.

Rise

Liked Posts:
Then why bother with Austin? Why no interview with Fox yet?

There is mutual interest, no doubt about it. But I think the media might be making more of this than there actually is. We've already adhered to the Rooney rule with Bowles so why even continue on if Fox is the guy?

Also, Dan and Terry got the drop on all the NFL guys with this one? Yeah, I don't believe it.

I don't think it is done, and nothing wrong with taking interviews to just be sure that a candidate doesn't blow you away. By no means is Fox a 100% lock, I see it more as he is the choice if no clear cut winner emerges. You can call that a settle I suppose, but I see it as taking the best available option (if they hire him).

Status
Not open for further replies.