UPDATE: John Fox in negotiation with Bears to become next head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

payton 34ever

Liked Posts:
That makes absolutely no sense cause Arians was never a head coach before Arizona. And don't give me the 9 game interim bullshit either cause that's way too small a sample size to just assume he was gonna be a good head coach. It turns out he is a pretty good HC but absolutely nobody knew that before he was hired.

9 games might not be enough for you, but it was enough for the people who give out NFL awards, because he was Coach of the Year. He took a team that could have fallen apart with their coach having a serious illness, and not only held down the fort, but had a nice playoff run. I'm sure you know what you're talking about far more, though, so carry on.

MontanaBear

Liked Posts:
Let's make it official and start rejoicing! Experience and proven track record at head coach for a change! Woohooooo!

GSH_34

Liked Posts:
I don't think it is done, and nothing wrong with taking interviews to just be sure that a candidate doesn't blow you away. By no means is Fox a 100% lock, I see it more as he is the choice if no clear cut winner emerges. You can call that a settle I suppose, but I see it as taking the best available option (if they hire him).
Reminds me a bit of the Ballard situation. I still think Austin has a chance to change some things.

How do I know that? Well, I don't and it's some blind optimism mixed in there. But I do know he's nailed each of his interviews so far and he's warming up at the right time for us to talk to him.

A lot to do with coaching hires is who the hot candidate is. Austin is about to be smoldering after we talk to him.

payton 34ever

Liked Posts:
I wasn't very excited at the first hearing of Fox, but after looking at the other candidates, he is likely the best of the crop.

Sometimes, it is just about timing. Enter Lovie Smith, an average at best coach, but he came to Chicago with the right players (Urlacher, Briggs, Tillman) and the right time in the league (Cover 2 was in vogue, QBs weren't as babied, you could still bump WR's, the OT position was power over speed). Look at him now post the Cover 2 era, he took a 4-12 team and made it worse!

Fox may be the right hire at this time. We are trying to rebuild the defense, and he will help evaluate talent in the draft, coach the young players correctly, and develop talent on defense. The locker room is a mess right now, and he should sort that out. We need good coordinators, and he can likely find those.

Right fit at the right time for Fox to solidy a defense and a shaky locker room.

Exactly correct - the word serendipity comes to mind. Elway is outhinking himself on this one - Denver will regret it when they don't have a coach with experience next year (unless they lure away Kubiak, which wouldn't be more than a lateral move at best, anyway).

cd35

Liked Posts:
That still at the time didn't guarantee he'd be a good head coach. Don't tell me you knew he would cause you didn't. Head coaches have coached good for one team and not another one. I would have rather had him myself but it's done and over with.

Yes this one was kind of a no-brainer. He's always been a good coach, and he showed he could do it. It was as close to a sure thing you can get and he has proved it. Most people knew, and that's not saying much bc it was obvious. It is completely different then getting some hot or popular coordinator.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Great, 3 possible young and upcoming choices, and the beloved pick the ancient re-tread!! :fist:
Question. Don't you feel the maybe a difficulty getting good coordinators with a very young GM and a unproven HC?

I understand the thought that Fox is slightly more exciting than vanilla, maybe French vanilla, but he will command the room the minute he walks in and he has been proven to surround himself with good coordinators.

It's like buying that 2010 Certified pre- owned Lexus IS instead of the Lotus Elise from that guy with the gravel lot on a side road. Sure the Lotus looks more exciting until you find out it has a worn out clutch, leaky engine, and needs service shortly after buying it.

JoSeCuERvO

CBMB Crossover
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Orlando City SC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Miami Hurricanes
The Bears are breaking from their normal method of operation, which is a great think because it has not worked.

The Bears are a dumpster fire. Hiring a veteran guy to clean up the locker room mess that Trestman created is a good idea.

Asking a young guy to come in and fix a broken team, while learning to be a head coach is a lot to ask.

a can agree with this thought process.. definitely no opposed to a vet coach..

SD Bears

Liked Posts:
seriously. I love the we cant win with Cutler now narrative after a shit season with a shit head coach despite 2010,2011 and 2012 we had a winning record with him under center.

It's called defense. Seems like forever ago. Bears won in spite of Cutler.

payton 34ever

Liked Posts:
Reminds me a bit of the Ballard situation. I still think Austin has a chance to change some things.

How do I know that? Well, I don't and it's some blind optimism mixed in there. But I do know he's nailed each of his interviews so far and he's warming up at the right time for us to talk to him.

A lot to do with coaching hires is who the hot candidate is. Austin is about to be smoldering after we talk to him.

Can I ask how you know any of the information you stated above? How do you know he's nailed his interviews? Who says he is the hottest candidate, and what is it based on? It's like the guy that just called B&B a bit ago and said he'd rather have Bowles than Fox, but then pronounced his name "Bowels". I mean, seriously, what is it with sports fans who talk like they're in the room for this stuff? This shit is funny.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nobody knows if they will be good or not I agree. However any of those 3 have similarities to wanny, jauron, and Lovie don't you think? Fox is the type of hire I have never seen the Bears make, much like Pace was the type of hire I have never seen the Bears make. Accorsi is running this show now, deal with it.

I clearly see your point. As for Accorsi, he was brought in mostly for the GM hire, which has been done. I highly doubt that Pace would take a position, and then take a back seat to Accorsi on the HC hire.

Thomas31

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I wasn't very excited at the first hearing of Fox, but after looking at the other candidates, he is likely the best of the crop.

Sometimes, it is just about timing. Enter Lovie Smith, an average at best coach, but he came to Chicago with the right players (Urlacher, Briggs, Tillman) and the right time in the league (Cover 2 was in vogue, QBs weren't as babied, you could still bump WR's, the OT position was power over speed). Look at him now post the Cover 2 era, he took a 4-12 team and made it worse!

Fox may be the right hire at this time. We are trying to rebuild the defense, and he will help evaluate talent in the draft, coach the young players correctly, and develop talent on defense. The locker room is a mess right now, and he should sort that out. We need good coordinators, and he can likely find those.

Right fit at the right time for Fox to solidy a defense and a shaky locker room.

After the VOID that was Trestman, still attacking Lovie huh Matt?...lol..what a joke...

I thought the point of all this was the Bears are starting OVER. If they in fact at STARTING OVER, then it would make more sense to get a get a coach here for the long haul. A Fox hire to me seems that the Bears think that close to something when they aren't...

Just my opinion. Like I said, it definitely wouldn't be a bad hire, but it doesn't scream "innovative" or "new era" to me.

BEARS

Rise

Liked Posts:

Exactly, never underestimate the power of the interview. Some notable hires who won the job because of an interview are Reid (philly), Tomlin, McCarthy. What the Fox safety net basically tells us is we are going to get one of two things; a steady veteran hire, or a coordinator who was born to be a HC as that's what it's going to take for an inexperienced guy to beat out a guy with the resume of Fox. Either way better days ahead in my mind.

Thomas31

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Here is something to think about

Is John Fox a better HC than Lovie Smith?

If you dont think he is, then were going backwards..Myself, I think they are pretty much on par.

That is a fair assessment and I agree with that BB.

BEARS

TreedBear

Liked Posts:
I live in Colorado and he's not highly regarded here. Not just reactionary from the last loss either. His teams are good but never good enough. I won't be bummed if he is hired but I like the idea of Austin or Bowles more.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Then why bother with Austin? Why no interview with Fox yet?

There is mutual interest, no doubt about it. But I think the media might be making more of this than there actually is. We've already adhered to the Rooney rule with Bowles so why even continue on if Fox is the guy?

Also, Dan and Terry got the drop on all the NFL guys with this one? Yeah, I don't believe it.
1) No guarantee Fox will want to go with the Bears and if you cancel on Austin, you may have just fucked yourself.

2) They would look like dicks to every other coaching candidate.

Why would you not interview him Fox isn't in town less than 24hrs after being fired? So you can close shop early and go out for ice cream with George and Teddy?

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Question. Don't you feel the maybe a difficulty getting good coordinators with a very young GM and a unproven HC?

I understand the thought that Fox is slightly more exciting than vanilla, maybe French vanilla, but he will command the room the minute he walks in and he has been proven to surround himself with good coordinators.

It's like buying that 2010 Certified pre- owned Lexus IS instead of the Lotus Elise from that guy with the gravel lot on a side road. Sure the Lotus looks more exciting until you find out it has a worn out clutch, leaky engine, and needs service shortly after buying it.

Never have I heard a more eloquent description of Fox, keep up the good work!!

Rise

Liked Posts:
After the VOID that was Trestman, still attacking Lovie huh Matt?...lol..what a joke...

I thought the point of all this was the Bears are starting OVER. If they in fact at STARTING OVER, then it would make more sense to get a get a coach here for the long haul. A Fox hire to me seems that the Bears think that close to something when they aren't...

Just my opinion. Like I said, it's definitely wouldn't be a bad hire, but it doesn't scream "innovative" or "new era" to me.

BEARS

I see it just the opposite. Fox is a guy you hire to bring you back to a respectable franchise. He is not the over the top hire. John Elway agrees just listen to his press conference today "John Fox was the right hire for us at the time".

That time was coming off a failed out of the box 2 year hire that left the team toxic and in shambles. The Broncos had just hired an inexperienced GM (Elway) as well. Sound familiar?

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Here is something to think about

Is John Fox a better HC than Lovie Smith?

If you dont think he is, then were going backwards..Myself, I think they are pretty much on par.

So the Bears are gonna be stuck in neutral? :shrug:

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Finally things are changing at Hallas Hall.

John Fox is probably the best choice right now.The mental mess the Bears are in is quite alot for a rookie coach.

I dont know what his opinion is about Cutler but it would be quite interesting if the Bears are going to rebuild or if they are going to go with the same veterans.

Personally I think Cutler,Marshall and Bennett are going to shipped out of town by Pace.

Why would you think that?

Status
Not open for further replies.