UPDATE: John Fox in negotiation with Bears to become next head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Fox got to a superbowl with Jake Delhomme and won a playoff game with Tim Tebow. You can hardly say the guy has achievement issues with QBs.

Besides, Manning is a notorious playoff loser.

GSH_34

Liked Posts:
Only one time has any coach ever "won" with "Manning" running the offense, so what the fuck does that mean anyway?

Manning has been Manning, regardless of coach or team. To use him for OR against Fox is a non-starter and patently stupid.

And that team had Rex Grossman as its QB. Oh wait, that was us. :facepalm2:

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
That's fine, but it's all about fit. The best coordinators won't make a difference if Fox's philosophy doesn't align with Pace's. Same with Austin and the other candidates. I don't see Pace as a guy who hires a stop gap for a future hire. I see Pace as a guy who will hire the coach he thinks is best fit to lead this team long term. If Fox is that guy then hire him, but if he's not then don't. I know that sounds simple, but there is way too much name dropping going on here. Fox isn't a transcendent coach like Harbaugh. Harbaugh could step in pretty much any situation and lead a team. The downside is that his tenures are short lived, but he was completely different tier than the coaches on the market now. Fox is a rock solid coach. He's a safe pick, but I'm only picking him if he's the right fit for this organization.
Yes, agreed.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Would you have wanted Fox after being fired in Carolina? With that pedigree?

Why does this stuff keep coming up like this? Sure the book is still out on Rivera there, but he hasn't won anything either so Fox is still to this day the most successful coach they've ever had and turned the Panthers from 46-66 team to a Super Bowl Contender. Sure Capers had a little success but the new franchise honey moon ended that, and like I said about Rivera he's turning it around but was pretty bad until Cam came around. So does Rivera get a shitty coach tag labeled on him because he can't do it without Cam? It's god damn Carolina, any success there is a miracle, especially without a franchise QB.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Hub Arkush: John Fox probably not the answer for Bears
By HUB ARKUSH

If Fox couldn’t win a playoff game with Peyton Manning, Demaryius Thomas, Emmanuel Sanders, Wes Welker, Julius Thomas, Ryan Clady, DeMarcus Ware, Von Miller, Aqib Talib and so much more, what makes him the right guy for the Bears?

Do these fucks even watch the games?

He could have just as easily written," If Fox couldn’t win a playoff game with a legless QB that couldn't chuck a rock in a lake from the shoreline...

doctorbear

Liked Posts:
Why does this stuff keep coming up like this? Sure the book is still out on Rivera there, but he hasn't won anything either so Fox is still to this day the most successful coach they've ever had and turned the Panthers from 46-66 team to a Super Bowl Contender. Sure Capers had a little success but the new franchise honey moon ended that, and like I said about Rivera he's turning it around but was pretty bad until Cam came around. So does Rivera get a shitty coach tag labeled on him because he can't do it without Cam? It's god damn Carolina, any success there is a miracle, especially without a franchise QB.

So when he was fired from Carolina you would have loved the Bears to hire them. That's all you had to say. Carolina is a more successful org than the Bears, yet you talk like there's a difference. Typical.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
So when he was fired from Carolina you would have loved the Bears to hire them. That's all you had to say. Carolina is a more successful org than the Bears, yet you talk like there's a difference. Typical.

How are you quantifying that?

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Would you have wanted Fox after being fired in Carolina? With that pedigree?

Yes. There is a reason Denver swooped in and grabbed him at a time when their team was in shambles post McDaniels, similar to this teams current state post Trestman.

Fox was hung out to dry his last year in Carolina by ownership, every football person knows that.

Rise

Liked Posts:
By HUB ARKUSH

If Fox couldn’t win a playoff game with Peyton Manning, Demaryius Thomas, Emmanuel Sanders, Wes Welker, Julius Thomas, Ryan Clady, DeMarcus Ware, Von Miller, Aqib Talib and so much more, what makes him the right guy for the Bears?

He could have just as easily written," If Fox couldn’t win a playoff game with a legless QB that couldn't chuck a rock in a lake from the shoreline...

It's the dumbest argument against Fox in my opinion. What saying this fails to realize is that by blaming Fox for the playoff failures you must also credit Fox for all of the success. You can't have it both ways.

StrongerThanAll

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If we actually hire this guy it is just par for the course. I live outside denver and always listen to the Locker room, a local radio show, on ESPN covering the broncos. Nobody respected fox as a head coach, but everyone liked him as a person. It would be a terrible hire for an organization in need of direction.

Xplosive

In the Land of the Blind the One Eyed Fan Is Neggd
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
How many mistakes did Lovie make hiring his buddies, then again Trestman made the same mistakes with Kromer and DeCamillis. If the Bears hire another unproven coordinator, there's a high likelihood that he will fail in some aspect of the job. I think Fox is the smarter choice because he knows how to hire a staff and delegate power to the right people.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If we actually hire this guy it is just par for the course. I live outside denver and always listen to the Locker room, a local radio show, on ESPN covering the broncos. Nobody respected fox as a head coach, but everyone liked him as a person. It would be a terrible hire for an organization in need of direction.

When's the last time you shot par?

GSH_34

Liked Posts:
By HUB ARKUSH

And people consider this guy one of the best Bear insiders? Yeah, ok. Whatever fits your agenda, Hub. Lazy article.

Any coach would have a hard time winning when their QB, who also happens to be their best player, can't do anything. Look at the Green Bay game. They were losing by double digits until Rodgers caught fire. Manning never caught fire. He was shit the entire game.

cjswan232482

Liked Posts:
COMPLETELY AGREE. Cutler's so called 'potential' will never be realized. He's Kerry Wood. The Bears bent over backward to placate Cutler because they thought he was "the one". Man were we wrong....

BEARS

The Bears NEVER got the best possible guy to coach him for a variety of reason. Lovie's lame duck status prevent the top guys from coming and forced the Bears to settle for Martz and Tice. Tice and Tressman were BOTH over their heads from a coaching aspect. Cutler's was most successful with Mike Martz b/c Martz was muzzled into a more balanced attack but still retained enough Martz to make the offense explosive. Lovie insisted on balanced offense and it was successful. Unless you are going to say Martz was thje coach that should have been kept, the Bears failed Cutler as much as Cutler failed the Bears if not more so.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
By HUB ARKUSH

I have a Hard on for Mike Shannahan, and Fox is the Anti Shannahan.

Thank you all for your time.

Hub

What the article really says.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
How does thew article say he has a hard on for Shanahan? I don't see anything remotely implying that in the part the was quoted in this thread.

malcore

How does thew article say he has a hard on for Shanahan? I don't see anything remotely implying that in the part the was quoted in this thread.

Pffft. Obviously unable to read between the lines. (Literally)

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Personally, I'd go for Shannahan but I'll take anybody who actually knows how to be a head coach. I'm sick and tired of having some asst coach come here and have to learn how to be a head coach on my time. There's been a long line of them here, mostly because of the skinflint McCaskeys....spend the fucking money and get a real coach in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.