UPDATE: John Fox in negotiation with Bears to become next head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rise

Liked Posts:
What does Belichek and Brady have to do with Fox's teams regressing each year after having success?

There are other coaches who's teams don't fall off a cliff after success.

It is easy to post his overall record and think oh that's alright but when you break it down can you tell me you would really be excited about 7-9 and 8-8 seasons?

Because teams without a franchise qb need a laundry list of things to go right in order to make the leap from the 7-9 to 9-7 world to the 11, 12 wins world.

Go threw the history of the NFL since the super bowl era began and try to find teams who had consistent winning success, let's say 5 out of 6 years in the playoffs and at least winning around a .500 clip once in. Then see how many of those teams had shit like Jake Delhomme at qb. Then get back to me and apologize.

sam slocum

Liked Posts:
What does Belichek and Brady have to do with Fox's teams regressing each year after having success?

There are other coaches who's teams don't fall off a cliff after success.

It is easy to post his overall record and think oh that's alright but when you break it down can you tell me you would really be excited about 7-9 and 8-8 seasons?

Honestly it depends at this point. I'm less concerned about the record in the near future, than I am with how they attain that record. Don't want the Bears to continue to be known as SOFT.

MrOuija

Liked Posts:
Can you summarize why people believe he is not a fit here? Just cause of his age vs the age of the GM? Cause thats really all I got out of Hub's argument with regards to Chicago.

(I am not counting his prevoius "failures" to win a superbowl against arguably two of the greatest franchise/teams in the last 2 decades ( Brady, Belichek - Pats, and Seattle )

Hubs arguement they wont work well together cause of thier age is just plain Special person.

Not going to speak for other people but for myself I see him as a pretty average coach. I don't remember anyone clamoring for him when he left the Panthers a couple of games over .500 and coming off a 2-14 season. He's definitely connected and can bring a good staff, but I don't see him bringing much to the table himself, which is why his teams can never get over the hump IMO. He's also a guy who more than once has intimated that he wants more personnel control, which is what Pace was hired for.

Since we have no Manning here or defensive talent to speak of this team needs a long term commitment and vision, and with his health and long established NFL tendencies I don't see that happening. It just seems like with the Trestman fiasco everyone is overreacting and wants "an adult" to run the team regardless if he's the right adult or not. When/If we're floundering next year at 6-10 watching the most boring football you've seen since Lovie I think people's tunes will change just like they did with Trestman, who was also anointed the savior last year.

Hell, I hope you're right and he turns everything around and coaches the Bears for multiple playoff and superbowl runs over the next 10 years, but I just don't see it.

geneatals

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jeremy Stoltz @BearReport

A friend just messaged me, said he just landed in Chicago from Denver and John Fox was on his flight. #Bears

so bears didn't send a jet to pick him up? lol..

Samurai

Ridiculum Anserini
Liked Posts:
Nope.,.Youre wrong...80%

You're both wrong, the scientific data I just ran through my proprietary software says 42.3392840385%

Obviously, I win. What that is...no idea.

[sarcasm]

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:

A friend just messaged me, said he just landed in Chicago from Denver and John Fox was on his flight. #Bears

I wonder if it's Bret... or a Nanny

strobiwan

Liked Posts:
what most fail to realize, there is no perfect canidate out there, unless Quinn is bringing his 2 safties with him.
Fox is by far the best bet

Josh2J

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
On paper yes. But it comes down to the interview still. If he doesn't mesh well with Pace for whatever reason then he shouldn't get the job. Provided a different candidate had better rapport.

I whole hearteldy agree with you on this.

Mr. Jones

Liked Posts:
The Bears have been an atrociously bad football organization for years, and they have slipped into the domain of dysfunctional laughingstocks, and people are nitpicking some .500 seasons on Foxs resume' lol..I hope they get this search over with and hire Fox and bring in Kyle Shannahan, and let them get down to work on this roster and the draft. Both of them bring solid experience and stability and have been in the league long enough to have learned and earned their lessons from failures and successes. The only thing that may scare the Bears may be the contract money involved given the leagues recent hires and the money they have still to dole out to the last failures..

Rise

Liked Posts:
Not going to speak for other people but for myself I see him as a pretty average coach. I don't remember anyone clamoring for him when he left the Panthers a couple of games over .500 and coming off a 2-14 season. He's definitely connected and can bring a good staff, but I don't see him bringing much to the table himself, which is why his teams can never get over the hump IMO. He's also a guy who more than once has intimated that he wants more personnel control, which is what Pace was hired for.

Since we have no Manning here or defensive talent to speak of this team needs a long term commitment and vision, and with his health and long established NFL tendencies I don't see that happening. It just seems like with the Trestman fiasco everyone is overreacting and wants "an adult" to run the team regardless if he's the right adult or not. When/If we're floundering next year at 6-10 watching the most boring football you've seen since Lovie I think people's tunes will change just like they did with Trestman, who was also anointed the savior last year.

Hell, I hope you're right and he turns everything around and coaches the Bears for multiple playoff and superbowl runs over the next 10 years, but I just don't see it.

In all likelihood we are looking at a rough season or two no matter who we hire. I actually agree with much of what you say, I'm not lighting off fire works because we might hire John Fox. I do however think he is a certified good NFL HC and I think with the state of our roster and franchise, he makes a lot of sense right now.

Provided he meshes well with Pace.

Rise

Liked Posts:

I wonder if the flag boys ran past the luggage pickup to greet him. Then Virgina had a fresh Buick ready to go for him at the enterprise.

rob923

Liked Posts:
I would like to see the Bears take a chance and get a young, strong aggressive coach from the assistant ranks instead of an older, two-team retread who got obliterated in the last Super Bowl with an All-Pro roster of talent. The Seahawks were good, but they weren't THAT good.

Rise

Liked Posts:
I would like to see the Bears take a chance and get a young, strong aggressive coach from the assistant ranks instead of an older, two-team retread who got obliterated in the last Super Bowl with an All-Pro roster of talent. The Seahawks were good, but they weren't THAT good.

Smh

Nail Polish

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Or pull a Childress and go get him at the airport..lol

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
John Fox is white, we get it. Back up the truck and pay him whatever he wants.

In all seriousness, he's a players coach. Expect light, whimpy practices. He's a white lovie.

geneatals

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

right...because the personel themselves had nothing to do with that ass whippin last year...kind of like our 2014 season right...all trestman and tuckers fault...

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
Sometimes the answer is right there in front of everyone. Amazing that people don't think that's a sweet combo.

Again, it's not as exciting as the unknown hires.

Takes some of the fun away

sam slocum

Liked Posts:
Not going to speak for other people but for myself I see him as a pretty average coach. I don't remember anyone clamoring for him when he left the Panthers a couple of games over .500 and coming off a 2-14 season. He's definitely connected and can bring a good staff, but I don't see him bringing much to the table himself, which is why his teams can never get OVER THE HUMP IMO. He's also a guy who more than once has intimated that he wants more personnel control, which is what Pace was hired for.

I can only dream of getting close enough to see the damn hump.

rob923

Liked Posts:
right...because the personel themselves had nothing to do with that ass whippin last year...kind of like our 2014 season right...all trestman and tuckers fault...

I take John Elway at his word, that he was embarrassed by the lack of fight in both that loss and last week's loss. He didn't fire the players.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
John Fox's plane landed at about 12:20pm

Per Twitter - some dude Adam Jahns follows.

So for people wondering about timelines, He's probably set to get out of the airport about now - you figure the interview will take at least 3 hours, and might start around 1:30 or 2pm. So I figure if they resolve to keep him there, we may hear something between 4:30 and 8pm.

So there's that.

In other news, yes, I started a new thread. Yay me. :X

Status
Not open for further replies.