UPDATE: John Fox in negotiation with Bears to become next head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think Fox leaves today without being signed but that just my opinion

Yeah I don't think you fly a guy in 6 hours after learning he's available for an interview. Let's be real, this whole interview is just a formality.

GSH_34

Liked Posts:
Did they? Then I guess Fox could be announced tomorrow then.

Yep, he and Gase were their first interviews. Still holding out hope that if Fox isn't a fit, Austin is their guy. Bears have really played this close to the vest though. All anyone knows about their search is that Fox is in their crosshairs. No idea where they go if Fox isn't the guy.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
Elway put that team together, so he should be shouldering some of the blame. He signed a bunch of big names thinking that talent would put them over the hump. Elway should be more focused on player development. That's how he'l build a winner.

You won't find too many teams though that will win a playoff game when their QB can't do anything. The Broncos weren't set up to win like that. They were set up to win on the shoulders of the offense and the defense would compliment them.

It should be noted that just signing a bunch of big names doesn't guarantee you a Super Bowl.

The Redskins are an example of how that usually works, and when it works the best, you end up with teams like the Andy Reid Eagles with McNabb and T.O.

Its not just the talent, but the mesh, the message, and the buy in. If you got a bunch of big name guys who don't work well together, you aren't winning the super bowl no matter how much talent you got.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
And in the meantime someone else hires Fox,Quinn doesnt look good in the interview ,and the Bears are left holding their dicks.

If they like Fox, HIRE HIM..If they dont, PASS

They'd still have Austin or Marrone. And they already had a 1st interview with Quinn. If he didn't look good I don't think he'd be desired for a 2nd interview

Nail Polish

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They'd still have Austin or Marrone. And they already had a 1st interview with Quinn. If he didn't look good I don't think he'd be desired for a 2nd interview

But to pass on someone you like just cause is going out on a limb IMO..Thats if they like Fox of course..

If you like someone, hire the guy

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Interviewed Quinn before Pace was hired FWIW.

Ahhh, ok. Well that's an entirely different thing.

Pace may well want to interview Quinn. If he jumps on Fox and doesn't talk to Quinn, he better hope that Fox does as well or better than Quinn because he'll be heavily criticized for leaning on the McCaskey/Phillips word on Quinn.

but as BB said, if he doesn't jump on Fox, loses out on him, and we end up bad again, he'll be criticized heavily for dithering.

It's a tough situation for the second week on the job :)

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah I don't think you fly a guy in 6 hours after learning he's available for an interview. Let's be real, this whole interview is just a formality.

yep and that's what makes me think this may be set in stone and im happy about it at least maybe its a sign pace is like I see what hasn't been working here and I need a steady hand at the wheel while I build my roster.

also there is no reason to believe that given a few years pace cant build us a winner in fox's system

its all gonna hinge on a defensive rebuild an oline rebuild and pace absolutely must get it right on his qb pick

I don't see one in the draft this year but maybe by next offseason a guy will emerge

GSH_34

Liked Posts:
It should be noted that just signing a bunch of big names doesn't guarantee you a Super Bowl.

The Redskins are an example of how that usually works, and when it works the best, you end up with teams like the Andy Reid Eagles with McNabb and T.O.

Its not just the talent, but the mesh, the message, and the buy in. If you got a bunch of big name guys who don't work well together, you aren't winning the super bowl no matter how much talent you got.

Agreed. Me thinks that Elway is part of the problem there too. Or maybe, Manning is the problem and with him on the team you won't have an identity. Seems to me like Fox is the scapegoat because he and Elway didn't get along.

The message to Fox before the season was probably this; "Look, I just got you a ton of talent in Sanders, Ware, Ward and Talib. If you can't win a Super Bowl with these guys, you're gone."

Fox to me seems like a guy who wants to grow his talent and build through the draft. Elway seems more like a salesman that will thrive in free-agency. They just couldn't find the middle ground.

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
Penis Wrinkle Cream. You got that covered and I don't want to encroach on your territory.

We can clearly rule out comedy from your territory, good lord lol. Penis Wrinkle Cream? Really? That's the best you can come up with?!? That's almost as bad as your Suh slipper thread from last night.

Nail Polish

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fox may not be the long term answer, but he could at least stabilize the team and get us to the playoffs..Then maybe we look elsewhere a few years down the road..I think he is a safe hire for this team who desperately needs stability and consistency

GSH_34

Liked Posts:

Pace may well want to interview Quinn. If he jumps on Fox and doesn't talk to Quinn, he better hope that Fox does as well or better than Quinn because he'll be heavily criticized for leaning on the McCaskey/Phillips word on Quinn.

but as BB said, if he doesn't jump on Fox, loses out on him, and we end up bad again, he'll be criticized heavily for dithering.

Pace won't lose out on Fox unless he determines he's not a fit. Fox will wait to see if he gets the Bears job because it's the one he wants. Pace should know by the end of the interview whether he wants him or not. Or whether he wants to get another look at Austin or another candidate.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
B&B making this sound like it's going to happen SOON. They said unless something peculiar happens it's Fox.

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fox may not be the long term answer, but he could at least stabilize the team and get us to the playoffs..Then maybe we look elsewhere a few years down the road..I think he is a safe hire for this team who desperately needs stability and consistency

not too mention who better to coach up our young players who are here and going to be here for this rebuild

SlipScreen

Liked Posts:
B&B making this sound like it's going to happen SOON. They said unless something peculiar happens it's Fox.

yep basically said stay close to the radio because news could happen today. I mean they even said that they could see a press conference happening tomorrow

Rise

Liked Posts:

I don't think he would be. Nobody (media wise) is going to throw Pace under the bus for choosing Fox even if Quinn turns out to be a star. This is different than Arians for example as he was in the building, wanting the job, as the COTY, and Emery hires CFL Trestman.

Let's say Fox is hired today, and Quinn is hired by the Broncos next week and wins a super bowl. Nobody can turn to Pace and blame him because who is to say Quinn would have chosen the Bears job over Denver? Combine that with Fox being seen as an obvious choice he will be okay. It's Fox that will take the heat.

Where Pace can get thrown under the bus is if he chooses Austin/Quinn right now over Fox and Austin/Quinn flops. He will be in some hot water then by the media.

GSH_34

Liked Posts:

I don't like that plan at all though. Hiring a transitional coach? If we hire Fox it better be for the long term. Or hire Fox with the idea that he'll bring on a younger coordinator to groom him to take over (like Kyle Shannahan if he wants it).

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
119-89

That is not mediocre or inept.

Before you say Peyton Manning; Bill Belichek is 46-60 without Tom Brady.
Omg bill sucks and is overrated . McCarthy; Shannahan, bellichek. Just lucky they have/had good QB's

Nail Polish

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't like that plan at all though. Hiring a transitional coach? If we hire Fox it better be for the long term. Or hire Fox with the idea that he'll bring on a younger coordinator to groom him to take over (like Kyle Shannahan if he wants it).

All coaches are transitional...Just some sooner than others

Status
Not open for further replies.