Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
You are what your record says you are:
2013 Cubs 48-58
2012 Cubs through 106 games-43-63

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
I was well out of high school when McPhail was introduced as the savior. There are glaring similarities between what was promised then and what is now. I don't believe for a minute just because the Cubs have thrown more expansive computer software and people at the project that it's going to turn out any different.

Exactly.

But because most of the posters here were either still in diapers or still stains in their daddies jeans they think that there is no similarity between the two.

It doesn't take alot of people to do what Epstein is trying to do. It takes ONE SMART ONE. Unfortunately we didn't get Billy Beane or Freidman.

Or the guy who handed Theo the full toy box in Boston, Dan Duquette who got Baltimore to the playoffs in his first season, has them in the midst of the playoff hunt again in his second year and may have had the best deadline deals in adding two starting pitchers and a bullpen piece while only giving up a bunch of mid level at best (being generous) and a competitive balance pick.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
You are what your record says you are:
2013 Cubs 48-58
2012 Cubs through 106 games-43-63

We are about to be swept by the Brewers. Lets not state records yet. I got a feeling its about to go south quickly. Without Soriano in the lineup, the lineup looks absolutely horrible. Don't get me wrong it was really bad with Soriano, but now I basically just assume we are scoring 3 or less runs.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
We are about to be swept by the Brewers. Lets not state records yet. I got a feeling its about to go south quickly. Without Soriano in the lineup, the lineup looks absolutely horrible. Don't get me wrong it was really bad with Soriano, but now I basically just assume we are scoring 3 or less runs.

I just want to be clear what counts here or not. I was told repeatedly that the only thing that matters is wins at the major league level. It would seem by that measure this team is currently better.

And for the point about future performance it is certainly possible that this goes south, but we did just come off sweeping the Giants without Soriano in the lineup. And well I have a little faith in this club being able to outperform a team last year that had Justin Germano, Jason Berken, and other dreck taking the ball 3 out of 5 to 4 out of 5 starts down the stretch.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
every time theres a mistakes , i Troll on here jumping up and down and throwing sippy cups everywhere about it.

Glad you finally came out and admitted to what you do on here every day on every thread...

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I just want to be clear what counts here or not. I was told repeatedly that the only thing that matters is wins at the major league level. It would seem by that measure this team is currently better.

And for the point about future performance it is certainly possible that this goes south, but we did just come off sweeping the Giants without Soriano in the lineup. And well I have a little faith in this club being able to outperform a team last year that had Justin Germano, Jason Berken, and other dreck taking the ball 3 out of 5 to 4 out of 5 starts down the stretch.

Fair point

mountsalami

Liked Posts:

It may be able to outperform last years team. But little effort was made into making the ML team better if any at all. This wasn't a contender on paper that folded. It's a team that was put together like a used car lot with no intentions of trying to compete for anything but individual "get of jail free cards". Welcome to the Cubs. We'll give you a chance. Play well enough and we'll trade you to a contender. AWESOME SHIT TO WATCH !!!!!!!

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Paul Sullivan ‏@PWSullivan

Jed: "The 2014 season, there’s not going to be a lot of young players breaking camp with the team. " http://trib.in/16FFzdd

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
If you havent read for the 1000th time why were bitching, I'm not going to explain it again. There's no point. I can dumb it down where it gets no bigger than 3-letter words, and you idiots will still misinterpret it. The funny thing is that we agree with about 80 percent of what you do......maybe more

Well to be perfectly honest, I don't read much shit on here. Based on your post i guess you're bitching that the cubs are trading current "talent" to play for the future rather than the present. If that's the case you seem pretty naive to how terrible the cubs are. They aren't 1 player away. They aren't 5 players away. They probably aren't even 10 players away. To put this in perspective, they just traded one of their top hitters(Soriano) along with a shit ton of money and got an A level player in return.

So, sure i'd love to see the cubs go out there and legitimately compete but they don't have the players. And buying players didn't exactly help Hendry did it? But to get back to the point, what exactly did any of the moves the OP posted about have to do with competing today? Maholm Feldman and Baker were always 1 year rentals with the hope they could turn in a good year. And 2 of the 3 did. These guys are on the FA market every year. So, it's not eve like they are losing much.

That gets back to my point of why are people bitching about the most nitpicky shit? If you want to complain about something how about we talk about them giving Edwin Jackson $13 mil this year for his ~5 ERA. If Bryant and Almora end up bad then fine rip Theo and company apart. If the Garza trade prospects suck then tear him up. There's far better stuff to go after.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
[Based on your post i guess you're bitching that the cubs are trading current "talent" to play for the future rather than the present. If that's the case you seem pretty naive to how terrible the cubs are. They aren't 1 player away. They aren't 5 players away. They probably aren't even 10 players away./QUOTE]

Future talent can always be had while feilding a contending team. That's how naive most Cubs fans are that have bought into the PR bullshit campaign.

We are now further away then two years ago at competing. Nothing has been added to improve the team. I don't care about the potential "extra money" available. They are showing no intentions of spending it any time soon. So all this regime has done for the ML team is Turd Wood, Rizzo, and Edwin Jackson in two fucking years. The rest is garbage. But I guess we are supposed to beileve it's for a higher cause while the team sinks deeper down the shitter in hopes of an occasional flash of lightning from Des Moines.

What a complete waste of time.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:

The team that had Garza, Soriano and Feldman could have a case made was currently a better team than last year.

But I didn't see any of those players in the lineup for the Cubs today, nor do I think they will in the lineup tomorrow.

So let's here the case on how the team at the major league level is better right now.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ian Stewart- worst mistake to date.

Chris Volstad- served his purpose in ridding us of Z just didn't workout, not a mistake, just not a success.

Scott Baker- cheap hardly worth the discussion.

Scott Hairston- barely played, traded for a spec sounds like a success to me.

Luis Valbuena (I really am missing all that great talk about how he is out producing Eric Chavez)

Kyuji Fujikawa- still wondering on this one.

Justin Germano- filled a hole, wasn't meant to matter.

Have you even been paying attention??

Minus Garza, Soriano and whomever else might get dealt in the next month, the team is worse than it was at this point last year and the Cubs finished the season 18-36. That is entirely possible again which would leave the Cubs at 66-96.

Yet you will be the first to talk about what great progress that is.

most of your mistakes don't cost the team almost 300 million dollars and were never meant to be more then trade bait. Troll on.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
most of your mistakes don't cost the team almost 300 million dollars and were never meant to be more then trade bait. Troll on.

Move the goalposts where ever you need them to go.

The question was name one mistake Theo made. I came up with about a half dozen in the first year and enough.

Glad to see you are more concerned with how much money the Ricketts make over how many games the major league team wins.

Jesus the future is fucked if this is the quality of college students today.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I don't see how Hairston was a mistake, or several others of those... Gave up nothing but some cash for him and flipped him for a decent pitching prospect in Ivan Pineyro. Awful, I know.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Here you go

Please cite.

Originally Posted by KBisBack!
No you clearly don't.

I have asked that players be brought in for 4-5 year deals that will help the ball club improve for more than 1/2 a season before they are traded off for a lottery ticket.

You clearly think that taking one step forward and three steps back is moving in the right direction.

You can't be helped.
Like who?

Wasn't Edwin Jackson brought in on a 4 year deal? Why do you hate him?