v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
If roids weren't an issue...Sosa would be in easy IMO. Then again if he wasn't on roids he doesn't put up those numbers...but on the numbers alone and if Sosa had done what he did clean there's no doubt he'd get in.

The controversy lies in how much steroids actually help boost stats. They probably do, but it sounds like even if athletes are on the roids, all it does is help them work out faster, harder and longer. You still have to be able to connect with the ball.

I'll let people smarter than me figure that out :lol:

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The controversy lies in how much steroids actually help boost stats.
A lot.
They probably do, but it sounds like even if athletes are on the roids, all it does is help them work out faster, harder and longer. You still have to be able to connect with the ball.
Ok. But take en elite talent like McGwire. If you are stronger, with more endurance you get the ball to the bat faster which generates more power...Since you have more endurance and less fatigue from artificial recovery you can gt the bat to the ball faster much more often.

The entire "bat to ball" argument is Special person.

Steroids dramatically help power. If they didn't people wouldn't use them

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
A lot.

Ok. But take en elite talent like McGwire. If you are stronger, with more endurance you get the ball to the bat faster which generates more power...Since you have more endurance and less fatigue from artificial recovery you can gt the bat to the ball faster much more often.

The entire "bat to ball" argument is Special person.

Steroids dramatically help power. If they didn't people wouldn't use them

You're right, using actual steroids will basically increase muscle growth and thus power. I was probably thinking about HGH.

I think McGwire used a steroid analog that wasn't banned at the time in addition to other steroids. But have they ever proven that Sosa took steroids? He probably did take something, but if it was a non-steroid PED that changes things a bit.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
You're right, using actual steroids will basically increase muscle growth and thus power. I was probably thinking about HGH.
HGH and steroids for the purpose of athletic performance do basically(generally) the same thing.

Recover/heal/regenerate faster, work out harder, longer etc etc etc. Same theory.

I think McGwire used a steroid analog that wasn't banned at the time
Andro. Banned in every sport but baseball at the time IIRC

i
He probably did take something, but if it was a non-steroid PED that changes things a bit.

Sosa was mentioned a lot in the Mitchell Report. He's never admitted to it but it's pretty clear what was going on.

Last edited:

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Oh well. Nice when it happened

You need to learn to read brah.

Rice Cube never said crap about you saying Baines should go into the HOF in the post you quoted.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:

Rice Cube never said crap about you saying Baines should go into the HOF in the post you quoted.

I no longer have any idea what's going on :lol:

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:

:obama:

Sure did. He did a comparison of Sosa should go in before Baines. The only reason to mention Baines in that statement which in itself has nothing to do with the topic is to show that Baines shouldn't go in. I don't think I ever said he should go in and that the voters are wrong.

If he didn't mean it, then the comment makes as much sense as me saying Greg Maddux should go in before Lamar Hoyt.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Thanks Rice for taking some time to clean out the garabge in an otherwise quality thread.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
:obama:

Sure did. He did a comparison of Sosa should go in before Baines.
No.

He said another guy that should go in before Baines.

He never claimed you said Baines should go in. He was saying before Baines is even consdiered or enshrined, this guy needs to go.

The only reason to mention Baines in that statement which in itself has nothing to do with the topic is to show that Baines shouldn't go in.

Or that Baines doesn't have a case..at all(which you say he does). Relative to other players.

I don't think I ever said he should go in
Nope. You just said he has a case.....when he doesn't.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I love most of this thread so if I have time at lunch, I am planning a re-cap post

Lex says something stupid. Disappears

Brett says something stupid(repeatedly). Sticks around.

Rice and FirstTimer have actual baseball conversation.

Pretty good summation