Velus Jones Jr

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
If this staff is smart you basically give Jones some basic deep routes and then some underneath routes that look like deep routes. Teams will have to respect his deep speed and Fields deep accuracy and the cushion they give means Jones can then catch passes underneath with space to use that YAC ability

Damn man insane insight into VJJ, so glad he is used as a guy catching passes underneath and using his YAC! Fckn nailed it

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Best case scenario VJJ's ceiling is Patterson last year with Falcons. Worst case and he is Patterson with the Bears.
IDK i think patterson with the bears has been significantly better than VJJ with the bears so far, fcknn nailed it!

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
He has 2 elite traits ie elite speed and elite RAC ability. He doesnt need to know how to run all the routes to be successful.

Cordarelle Paterson is still is a poor route runner. He had a great year last year with over 1k combined receiving and rushing yards because you cant stop him from getting the ball on short passes and runs. All you can really try to do is stop him from turning it into a big play which has nothing to do with route running and everthing to do with play design, blocking and the ability to miss or break tackles.

So he was drafted because it will be easy to get him the ball. The question is whether you can consistently set it up for him to get YAC after getting the ball. In addition, if teams cheat then he has a great counter in that he has the speed to beat you deep. So it is like a speed pass rusher. If teams set up to stop the speed rush then you need a counter to keep them honest. VJJ has that so it comes down not to advanced route running but whether his YAC and speed traits translate well to the NFL.

Patterson didnt magically get better running routes in year 9 of the NFL. He simply went to a team with an OC that designed better plays and had better blocking in front of him to allow him to use his YAC ability. 30.2% of his passes were behind the LoS. 50.8% were 0-9 yards so that is 81% of passes that were short. That is what you will see from VJJ.
Did we see much behind LOS passes to VJJ? once again, absolutely called it sir! please elaborate as to what Poles is thinking, we need his intel.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Do you not know what irony means. It is kid of stupid and ironic to post an article that contradicts your claim from 2 posts earlier.

Apparently it is not that weird that Poles had VJJ as BPA per the McShay article you were so kind enough to share. So thanks I guess for doing the work to dispute your own opinion.
seriously wasn't weird at all that VJJ was BPA. makes perfect sense in hindsight.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
It is obvious the issue is not really his stats. It is that he was not mocked a lot that early so people's minds are made up that he was a reach.
for real. people just made it up that he was a reach, not the fact that he is old and can't even field punts! Nailed it!

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I still like the pick. It's not uncommon for receivers to take 3 years to develop in the NFL. He made several big plays on limited snaps. He has to fix his fumbling issues but its way to early to judge him.

For the people that use him as a punching bag I find it impressive that you can only remember the fumbles and completely block out the play making.
210 yards of total offense. Forgive me for focusing on the late game fumbles that cost the Bears multiple wins and have helped create a narrative that Justin Fields cant win games.

At least he helped with the tank.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Damn man insane insight into VJJ, so glad he is used as a guy catching passes underneath and using his YAC! Fckn nailed it
I said if they were smart. They werent smart.

IDK i think patterson with the bears has been significantly better than VJJ with the bears so far, fcknn nailed it!

Nope Patteson was not that great with the Bears as had 103 yards rushing and 83 passing with no TDs. VJJ had had 103 rushing yards and 107 passing yards with 2 TDs his first year. Probably best to do a bit of research before cunting.

Did we see much behind LOS passes to VJJ? once again, absolutely called it sir! please elaborate as to what Poles is thinking, we need his intel.

Again you seem dense. The Bears didnt use him smartly. Instead of doing what I said ie learn basic routes they had him learning the whole playbook. So not really sure what you think you are achieving with this.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
I said if they were smart. They werent smart.

Nope Patteson was not that great with the Bears as had 103 yards rushing and 83 passing with no TDs. VJJ had had 103 rushing yards and 107 passing yards with 2 TDs his first year. Probably best to do a bit of research before cunting.

Again you seem dense. The Bears didnt use him smartly. Instead of doing what I said ie learn basic routes they had him learning the whole playbook. So not really sure what you think you are achieving with this.
Kinda like how the chiefs didn't use Pringle 'smartly' and he should've got more production there? Do we need to bump that shitty take as well or can you just take the L and move on?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
seriously wasn't weird at all that VJJ was BPA. makes perfect sense in hindsight.
No it wasnt per the McShay article. Again you seem confused that who Poles had as BPA in 2022 was not based on hindsight.
for real. people just made it up that he was a reach, not the fact that he is old and can't even field punts! Nailed it!
Per the McShay article other teams were looking at him in the 3rd round so no he was not a reach based on the info at the time. Feel free to share your crystal ball.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Kinda like how the chiefs didn't use Pringle 'smartly' and he should've got more production there? Do we need to bump that shitty take as well or can you just take the L and move on?

Nope you are confused. I argued with Mighty Joe that the Chiefs WR core was not stacked like he claimed. I did say Pringle should have played more than Hardman as he was more productive on a per snap basis. Hardman who the Chiefs let walk because he again was not as productive as he should have been.

I think you dont grasp nuance and reduce everything to simplistic terms. You get pieces of a debate and then misrepresent them out of context.

Each of Mooney’s first 2 years he’s been a #1 or #2 target. You don’t think Pringles numbers will go up if he’s a 2/3 instead of a 4/5?
Not necessarily. The 4th or 5th WR usually goes up against the 4th or 5th CB or even a LB in the slot sometimes. So maybe he still gets as open when he is the no 1 or 2 or maybe going up against better players more consistently means he gets tighter coverage now. Can't really predict who steps it up and who was more a product of all the attention other guys were getting.
He's big. He's fast. And he had limited playing time not because he sucked, but because the WR room he was a part of was absolutely LOADED.
Their WR room was not loaded. Hill is their only really good WR. The rest of those guys are incredibly inconsistent.

Last edited:

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
210 yards of total offense. Forgive me for focusing on the late game fumbles that cost the Bears multiple wins and have helped create a narrative that Justin Fields cant win games.

At least he helped with the tank.
All true. He deserves a little of the credit that Lovie is getting. But he made several big plays on offense and on returning kicks and we all saw them.

Here are my expectations for Velus and anyone can feel free to bash me if he doesn't live up to them - assuming he's healthy all season.

Top 5 kick returner in the league
4-500 total yards on offense
4-5 20+ yard plays on offense
4-5 touchdowns
< 4 fumbles

He's not a go to guy but he brings a lot to the offense and makes it that much more dynamic. He has a unique combination of speed, agility and contact balance with good size and a stocky frame. He's a serious threat to take the top off and he also has enough size and balance not to get too pushed around in his routes.

He's not tall and may never be a great route runner but he can be schemed as a serious threat and a lot of the plays he excels at do not require a great pass blocking line and time in the pocket. He seems very focused and mature. I think he's capable of giving us a few Hester/Fields like magic plays this season and adds a unique dimension to the offense and is also a redzone threat.

Hopefully he cleans up his fumbling issues. Barring that I'm high on the old man.

Last edited:

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
All true. He deserves a little of the credit that Lovie is getting. But he made several big plays on offense and on returning kicks and we all saw them.

Here are my expectations for Velus and anyone can feel free to bash me if he doesn't live up to them - assuming he's healthy all season.

Top 5 kick returner in the league
4-500 total yards on offense
4-5 20+ yard plays on offense
4-5 touchdowns
< 4 fumbles

He's not a go to guy but he brings a lot to the offense and makes it that much more dynamic. He has a unique combination of speed, agility and contact balance with good size and a stocky frame. He's a serious threat to take the top off and he also has enough size and balance not to get too pushed around in his routes.

He's not tall and may never be a great route runner but he can be schemed as a serious threat and a lot of the plays he excels at do not require a great pass blocking line and time in the pocket. He seems very focused and mature. I think he's capable of giving us a few Hester/Fields like magic plays this season and adds a unique dimension to the offense and is also a redzone threat.

Hopefully he cleans up his fumbling issues. Barring that I'm high on the old man.
He can’t even field a punt lmao

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
He can’t even field a punt lmao
You might not have the attention spam to read to the end of my post so I'll do you a favor and quote it for you.

"Hopefully he cleans up his fumbling issues. Barring that I'm high on the old man."

And I stand behind everything I said. Take him off punt returns, he seems to get Trubisky brain and can't think straight in that situation. His natural ability is still elite and I'm hoping they can find a way to utilize that.

I'm glad you remembered me enough to necro this thread so I could restate my fandom for Velus.

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
Take him off punt returns and put him… where?
I'm not qualified to make these decisions but I'd give him plays at both Wr and Rb. He can add a lot of juice to an offense even if in limited snaps. Kick returns too - had no issues last year and was top 5 in the league.
He had more big time plays than bad plays last year. In think he deserves a little more patience given his elite traits.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I'm not qualified to make these decisions but I'd give him plays at both Wr and Rb. He can add a lot of juice to an offense even if in limited snaps. Kick returns too - had no issues last year and was top 5 in the league.
He had more big time plays than bad plays last year. In think he deserves a little more patience given his elite traits.
I am qualified. He has had chances in 2 preseasons. He sucked. He is fired

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
I am qualified. He has had chances in 2 preseasons. He sucked. He is fired
He's not a cat. You are not qualified.

I don't mind standing alone. I see what I see and I belive in that. The likelihood that he can't focus in real time and will always be a liability increased today but he's had a great camp despite some drops from every report I've seen/read and I'm not ready to give up.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
He's not a cat. You are not qualified.

I don't mind standing alone. I see what I see and I belive in that. The likelihood that he can't focus in real time and will always be a liability increased today but he's had a great camp despite some drops from every report I've seen/read and I'm not ready to give up.
No need to be so meowliscious

Last edited: