Vic Fangio News

ob1force

Liked Posts:
Well according to Pace, Nagy already pitched his staff to him during the interview.

And reading between the lines of Nagy answering the question on retaining Vic, his eyes didn't pop out with much excitement. Nagy said they talked but that's about it.

So that's my over analyzed take on the matter. If I had to guess, doesn't feel like Vic is in the plans to stay but that could all change with another Nagy and Vic meeting.

Bears_804

Liked Posts:
Keep going back and forth on VIC. I liked some things he did, and some things were still a little glaring. Maybe a new D coordinator would be the right thing for the team at this point. I don't know anymore.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've already said this before but I honestly am not going to flip my shit if Fangio walks as long as we get a competent DC to replace him. If we have to go bargain basement DC shopping then I will have cause for concern. At this point Fangio isn't exactly hot shit in my book. He's good but nowhere near irreplaceable.

I agree with you but find the scenario interesting none the less. While vic might not be getting pushed onto Nagy, I still get the feeling there is a little nudging going on. Of course, Vic himself has a lot to say in the matter, but I thought there might have been an announcement he was staying with the team at the presser?

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
I agree with you but find the scenario interesting none the less. While vic might not be getting pushed onto Nagy, I still get the feeling there is a little nudging going on. Of course, Vic himself has a lot to say in the matter, but I thought there might have been an announcement he was staying with the team at the presser?

He said that sorting the DC was the next item on the agenda and they would be working on it now. I imagine there'll be a sit down/call today with Fangio to get a decision one way or another. Would say that if there's no announcement tomorrow it's unlikely he'll be back.

There's no way they'll delay it. They have a competitive advantage against the teams that still haven't hired their HC yet
But that will disappear in the next day or two as positions get filled.

Hammer

Liked Posts:
I would be happier with more aggressive pass rushing defense, you know, Seahawks/Ravens like.

This "bend, but don't break" Fangio/Lovie gimmick is getting kinda stale.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just a hunch, but I don't think Fangio is coming back. Would suck but not the end of the world. If Nagy is as aggressive as he says he is, I expect an aggressive DC

shoopster

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well according to Pace, Nagy already pitched his staff to him during the interview.

And reading between the lines of Nagy answering the question on retaining Vic, his eyes didn't pop out with much excitement. Nagy said they talked but that's about it.

So that's my over analyzed take on the matter. If I had to guess, doesn't feel like Vic is in the plans to stay but that could all change with another Nagy and Vic meeting.

A crotchety, pissed-off-that-he-didn't-get-the-HC-job, 59-year old defensive coordinator who reportedly likes to go a little rogue with the media and start shit behind the scenes hardly seems like "Sha Na" Nagy's kind of guy. In this case, the "eyes" have it . . .

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would be happier with more aggressive pass rushing defense, you know, Seahawks/Ravens like.

Yep, the vicious pass rush style is fun...when you HAVE the players for that.

TishLover

Liked Posts:

Gus Bradley?

***seems like Packers are going after Gus Bradley, maybe Vic Fangio will stay with Bears

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

The rub was that Fangio was at odds with Fox because he was meddling in how the defense was being played. Unfortunately we won't get to know how much better or worse it could have been. Odds are he either doesn't return or we end up missing players on defense that we had even if Fangio stays.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
A crotchety, pissed-off-that-he-didn't-get-the-HC-job, 59-year old defensive coordinator who reportedly likes to go a little rogue with the media and start shit behind the scenes hardly seems like "Sha Na" Nagy's kind of guy. In this case, the "eyes" have it . . .

Give it a rest, not the end of the world if Fangio leaves.

Will you make shit up about the new guy and give him a dumbass nickname and make annoying posts about him everyday about how he sucks?

zabavka

The owls are not what they seem...
Liked Posts:
Give it a rest, not the end of the world if Fangio leaves.

Will you make shit up about the new guy and give him a dumbass nickname and make annoying posts about him everyday about how he sucks?

Of course, that's the shoopster shtick

Visionman

Liked Posts:
The rub was that Fangio was at odds with Fox because he was meddling in how the defense was being played. Unfortunately we won't get to know how much better or worse it could have been. Odds are he either doesn't return or we end up missing players on defense that we had even if Fangio stays.

Of course Fox was "meddling" in the defensive game plan. As HC, it was his JOB.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Of course Fox was "meddling" in the defensive game plan. As HC, it was his JOB.

Actually its a head coach's job to know when to call the shots and when to let their coordinators call the shots. A lesson some head coaches never seem to learn. Fox, being a defensive head coach, I'm sure had his own strong opinions on how to use the defense or what to call in certain situations. We already know how passive Fox was much like Lovie Smith was. I am sure Fangio didn't like being told how to play the defense in situations he wanted to be more aggressive.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
But pretty sure Nagy will be different if he keeps Fangio at DC...

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
But pretty sure Nagy will be different if he keeps Fangio at DC...

Honestly we don't know anything about how Nagy would approach defense at all. The only thing we know is he admittedly pronounced himself as being an aggressive coach both in play calling and demeanor. How that translates to his approach with his coordinators has yet to be seen. Much like how we will have to find out how he approaches defensive play calling. I would like to believe since he plans on being hands on with the offense that he would mostly differ to his DC as for that side of the ball since HC duties are already surmounting as is before adding on that offensive workload on top of it.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Whether it’s Fangio or Pettine or whoever, hopefully he can literally just hand the reins over to them and forget about it, so Nagy can focus on the offense.

What he’s good at only helps the Bears if he’s actually able to do it, and devote the time to it.

That also means getting an experienced OC to work with the non-QBs. I want as much one-on-one time between Nagy and Trubisky as possible.

That’s mostly my reason for wanting Fangio back. Then there’s no turning over the reins to anyone. Keep the same guy, say, “Keep doing what you’re doing,” forget about it, and play with another top 10 defensive unit.

My gut?: I think Fangio’s gone, of his own volition. If he were staying, I’m not sure he would’ve hit free agency. It’s likely the Bears offered top dollar, so “testing the market” wouldn’t really be a thing for him. The most likely Avenue is he just doesn’t want to be there anymore. Why not? Doesn’t matter—useless to speculate because it literally could be anything. Maybe he doesn’t want to work for a guy who could be his son? Maybe he hates the Bears and thinks he didn’t give him a fair shot at head coach. Maybe he doesn’t like Pace. Maybe he doesn’t like his parking spot. Could be fucking anything.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Honestly we don't know anything about how Nagy would approach defense at all. The only thing we know is he admittedly pronounced himself as being an aggressive coach both in play calling and demeanor. How that translates to his approach with his coordinators has yet to be seen. Much like how we will have to find out how he approaches defensive play calling. I would like to believe since he plans on being hands on with the offense that he would mostly differ to his DC as for that side of the ball since HC duties are already surmounting as is before adding on that offensive workload on top of it.

HC is responsible for the overall game plan that both the O and D fit into. He will look to have a defensive strategy that will compliment what he wants to do on offense.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I just picture Fangio in the meeting room with his defense and Fox walks in with Fangio saying "you got something to say? say it and get the fuck out" a la Buddy Ryan style with Ditka. Except Fox was like "lol you're cute, sit down."

So anyways yeah, I just hope the young buck doesn't burn himself out. NFL head coaches don't get much rest or free time for family. He is going to have a rude awakening if he thinks he can be hands on with everything. In that regard I hope he leans on advice from Andy Reid and other coaches.