Vic Fangio News

Josh2J

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Since Vic hasn't been announced as staying put yet, my hunch is either Vic is holding out making Bears sweat for more money or he really has no intention of staying.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Maybe getting rid of T.Thompson will change the way they spend in free agency and maybe that was the reason they took him out of the GM job.

YaoMingMeme.jpg

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cool story. Nobody mentioned anything about people living on the border. Packers fans overall view the Vikings as their biggest rivals.

Vikings fans view the Packers as the biggest rival, but Packers still hate the Bears the most and it stirs them up the most.......

You can disagree and the point is really moot, but Packers Bears is still view as bigger than Vikings Packers

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Cool story. Nobody mentioned anything about people living on the border. Packers fans overall view the Vikings as their biggest rivals.

There are more Packers fans in Illinois than Minnesota. There are more Packers fans in Wisconsin that live closer to Chicago than Minneapolis. Thus, there are more Packers fans overall that have more interactions with Bears fans than Vikings fans.

No doubt that the Vikings are hated more right now because they are good and we are bad. Kinda like how in 2005 and 2006, I didn't hate the Packers as much. It's just natural. But if all teams become equal, more Packers fans will hate the Bears more than they will the Vikings because they have more interactions with Bears fans.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Since Vic hasn't been announced as staying put yet, my hunch is either Vic is holding out making Bears sweat for more money or he really has no intention of staying.

Or maybe Nagy will walk up to the podium at his press conference, announce the signing of Fangio, then drop the mic and leave the room immediately. Press conference over.

u3_GOd.gif

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

As they should. I get the historical argument...but as things stand now, you actually have to be competitive to be a "rival" IMO. If / when that happens, I'd expect the Bears to be considered the major rival again in the minds of fans. Kind of hard to take a team that perennially can't make the playoffs seriously.

Parkway Drive

Liked Posts:
Ron Wolf is salty about his son....but Packers are in leadership transition right now.

Honestly, people need to stop worrying about Fangio staying or not there are equally as good of choices out there.......

Well... is there any guarantee that we get an 'equally good' choice, which by the way there are only a few choices out there that could be considered 'equally good'.
I get it, it is not the be all end all of everything if we lose Vic Fangio and nobody needs to be freaking out. However, you seem a little too blase about the situation. For one, continuity is a good thing and we will have to reinstall no matter who the new DC is. Secondly, Nagy and Pace obviously wanted to keep him and instead he could be joining the Packers. On top of that, if we miss out on the known commodities we could end up with a novice that produces results that are Tucker-esque. One step forward, two steps back.

Also, people seem to think we are loaded with talent on defense. We are not. At all. And we had a lot of significant injuries on that side of the ball and finished 9th in the NFL in the most important categories defensively, against the toughest schedule in football. That doesn't just *happen*.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
And then Fangio followed Gase to Chicago. Seems like there’s something between the two.

He really followed Fox who he had spent the last 4 years working for.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
While there is no guarantee we get an equally good coordinator I think Pettine could be just as good if not better.

While Fangio produced a solid defense last year it was his only good year here. I think there are a couple other candidates out there that could be just as good.

I will not lose sleep over losing Fangio.

Parkway Drive

Liked Posts:
While there is no guarantee we get an equally good coordinator I think Pettine could be just as good if not better.

While Fangio produced a solid defense last year it was his only good year here. I think there are a couple other candidates out there that could be just as good.

Fair enough. I mean, your stance is reasonable. I also think the other side of the argument is just as logical too. If we actually land one of the top 3-4 guys out there I will definitely be fine with it and back off the ledge. Just want to make sure we don't take a step back with what we were building on that side of the ball.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Do people really have no concept of what is meant by running a 4-3 or a 3-4? Its simply what is your base defense overall. In other words when the defense themselves pick what they are doing in the case of defending the hurry up offense then you're more than likely going to see them go into their base defense or perhaps be forced into using the personnel on the field to keep running a different set.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

He also has not worked with a lot of talent since he has been here.

The Bears defensive performance has consistently been better than their health and talent level.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
There are more Packers fans in Illinois than Minnesota. There are more Packers fans in Wisconsin that live closer to Chicago than Minneapolis. Thus, there are more Packers fans overall that have more interactions with Bears fans than Vikings fans.

No doubt that the Vikings are hated more right now because they are good and we are bad. Kinda like how in 2005 and 2006, I didn't hate the Packers as much. It's just natural. But if all teams become equal, more Packers fans will hate the Bears more than they will the Vikings because they have more interactions with Bears fans.

No, I'm not talking about flash in the pan hating based on who's good in a given year. I'm talking big picture. If you polled every Packer fan in the country and asked who they consider to be the Packers' biggest rival, it will be the Vikings.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Vikings fans view the Packers as the biggest rival, but Packers still hate the Bears the most and it stirs them up the most.......

You can disagree and the point is really moot, but Packers Bears is still view as bigger than Vikings Packers

The Bears/Packers rivalry will never go away. They're one of the longest/oldest rivalries in all of football.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
No, I'm not talking about flash in the pan hating based on who's good in a given year. I'm talking big picture. If you polled every Packer fan in the country and asked who they consider to be the Packers' biggest rival, it will be the Vikings.

If you polled it at a time when the Bears, Packers and Vikings all had a similar success no it wouldn't. The Bears would win that in a landslide.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The Bears/Packers rivalry will never go away. They're one of the longest/oldest rivalries in all of football.

It's the oldest and used to be relevant, but as much as Jon Gruden feigns excitement over it while broadcasting, Packers fans generally don't give a shit about the Bears like we obsess over them. We're nothing to them. The Vikings have been their biggest rivals for a long time.

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
He also has not worked with a lot of talent since he has been here.

The Bears defensive performance has consistently been better than their health and talent level.

Agreed, he had a roster not built for what he wanted to run and slowly got better every year once talent was added despite having a ton of injuries. We finished 9th in scoring this year