Video Game Thread

phranchk

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="MassHavoc" data-cid="213795" data-time="1384355812">

This is excellent...
You Can Be Playing A New PS4 Game In 45 Seconds Or Less</p></blockquote>OMG, that's amazing. I was worried that this would be better in theory than reality. After all the talk at E3 about it I was still skeptical.

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="phranchk" data-cid="213832" data-time="1384365266">
<div>

OMG, that's amazing. I was worried that this would be better in theory than reality. After all the talk at E3 about it I was still skeptical.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

I *think* this type of thing has been done in the Steam PC gaming world. With games at 50g (!! SO AWESOME), there does need to something to help.</p>

</p>

I think from their website as well you will be able to log in and download directly to your device. </p>

phranchk

Liked Posts:
I think you meant to post the amazon link and not the link to thread we're already in?</p>

Also, 240gb? That's not nearly enough. I wouldn't upgrade to SSD until 1tb is more affordable, which should be sometime in the next year.</p>

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Yeah I did... I fixed it. I thought about that too. I know 250 is rather small, buit with the revelation that you can delete games and reinstall them so quickly (From disk) I think it could be worth the performance. Still a bit of a pain but I really only play one game at a time anyway.</p>

</p>

I wonder if for digital downloads you can back up the data files somewhere else. I'm pretty sure that they said they don't support an external harddrive so that sucks but I was thinking instead of deleting them just moving them to an external and housing them there so that you can put them on and off the PS4 easily... no matter what the size hard drive.</p>

phranchk

Liked Posts:
The way it works on ps3 is that you're allowed to redownload the game up to 5 times. I would imagine a similar system will be in place for ps4.</p>

supraman

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="phranchk" data-cid="213749" data-time="1384286649">
<div>

They had the file size installs of disc based games for Xbox one posted on IGN yesterday. They were ridiculous. Some of them were 40 plus gbs. I would imagine PS4 will be similar.</p>

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/11/xbox-one-launch-title-install-sizes-revealed</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

40gb is the new standardish size. Total War: Rome II was about that size. Steam compressed it (which they normally dont do) so you DL about 30gb and then unpack it to the full size.</p>

</p>
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="The Deadliest Man Alive" data-cid="213761" data-time="1384289933">
<div>

<span style="color:rgb(255,204,0);font-family:Arial;background-color:rgb(0,4,42);">PS4 is equipped with a 5400 RPM </span>SATA II <span style="color:rgb(255,204,0);font-family:Arial;background-color:rgb(0,4,42);">hard drive. Users can choose to install a new hard drive so long as it complies with these standards, is no thicker than 9.5mm, and is larger than 160GB.</span></p>

</p>

</p>

But even if you were using a SATA3 drive, it would dumb down to SATA2</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

It only spins at 5400? WOW. Didnt even know they made 5400 drives anymore.</p>

</p>
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="MassHavoc" data-cid="213784" data-time="1384318660">
<div>

Good news for you guys who were upset. http://kotaku.com/the-ps4-might-be-a-decent-media-server-after-all-1463440125</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

Fuck you sony, back to having to figure out which one I want. fucking sony</p>

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Supra" data-cid="213882" data-time="1384382178">
<div>

40gb is the new standardish size. Total War: Rome II was about that size. Steam compressed it (which they normally dont do) so you DL about 30gb and then unpack it to the full size.</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

Still VERY common in Storage geek land. Admittedly used for WORM and archive cheap types for the most part. Depending on the type of data, these disks can out perform many "faster" disks. With PS4, it is mostly large files which live fine on the 5400</p>

</p>

I think i will be getting the 1T SSD near out of the box. I want to see the performance of the internal first</p>

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="phranchk" data-cid="213875" data-time="1384380193">
<div>

The way it works on ps3 is that you're allowed to redownload the game up to 5 times. I would imagine a similar system will be in place for ps4.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

I didn't know that was a policy at all interesting.</p>

</p>

<span style="font-size:12px;">Here's How To Install a Hard Drive in a PS4</span>

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Supra" data-cid="213882" data-time="1384382178">
<div>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

</p>
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="The Deadliest Man Alive" data-cid="213884" data-time="1384383008">
<div>

Still VERY common in Storage geek land. Admittedly used for WORM and archive cheap types for the most part. Depending on the type of data, these disks can out perform many "faster" disks. With PS4, it is mostly large files which live fine on the 5400</p>

</p>

I think i will be getting the 1T SSD near out of the box. I want to see the performance of the internal first</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

Bingo.  My NAS and RAID arrays for my home network/HTPC are running 1TB 5400 disks in them.  Quieter, less heat, and RAID-5 perfomance makes them fater than an equivalent 3TB drive with a faster spindle speed.</p>

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="MassHavoc" data-cid="213940" data-time="1384449729">
<div>

</p>

I didn't know that was a policy at all interesting.</p>

</p>
Here's How To Install a Hard Drive in a PS4

</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

I didnt either, but I have never done it 5 times. Good to know.</p>

</p>

The PS3 was even easier to upgrade HD, but this isnt bad at all. </p>

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="The Deadliest Man Alive" data-cid="213956" data-time="1384452107">
<div>

I didnt either, but I have never done it 5 times. Good to know.</p>

</p>

The PS3 was even easier to upgrade HD, but this isnt bad at all. </p>
</div>
</blockquote>

I just did it a month or so ago... I don't remember it being easier, or harder for that matter?</p>

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="MassHavoc" data-cid="213996" data-time="1384462813">
<div>

I just did it a month or so ago... I don't remember it being easier, or harder for that matter?</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

Well, you didnt need to download the update and run off a stick or reboot the ps3 in any special way, as I recall. But I could be wrong. I cant even remember if I DID do anything with the HD for PS3. </p>

</p>

Certainly easy enough for anyone that can identify a hard drive.</p>

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="The Deadliest Man Alive" data-cid="214000" data-time="1384463145">
<div>

Well, you didnt need to download the update and run off a stick or reboot the ps3 in any special way, as I recall. But I could be wrong. I cant even remember if I DID do anything with the HD for PS3. </p>

</p>

Certainly easy enough for anyone that can identify a hard drive.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

Since I was transfering data over I did have to do all that. I assume it would have been easier if I was installing a fresh drive, but I downloaded the most uptodate firmware first onto a thumbdrive in order to make the switch, I don't think I could do it the other way. I think when switching the hard drive the firmware reverts to the base firmware of the model and that's why I had to have the most up to date on a thumb drive it was still east though.</p>

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
My buddy waited in line for about 40 minutes before work today and got one. I'm pumped to go over and play it sometime. He got NBA 2k14, hopefully he got other games.</p>

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Good video about HDs on PS4, SSD vs. Hybrid vs. Normal.</p>

</p>

http://youtu.be/HGjSJwlHK6M</p>

phranchk

Liked Posts:
Sounds like the hybrid drive is a solid choice.

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Supra" data-cid="214876" data-time="1385058039">
<div>

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/hardware-failures-bedevil-ps4-launch-190720484.html</p>

</p>

sounds small but still a PR nightmare</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

Not a surprise at all.</p>

</p>

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/11/27/defective-ps3-no-worries-sony-promises-replacements/ -- PS3</p>

</p>

http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/14/t59236-ps2-problems-please-read-distribute/ -- PS2</p>

</p>

Xbox will also experience this as well. </p>

</p>

Purchasing brand new hardware the earliest release possible, you run these risks. Not only that, you end up as an unhappy customer when you cant have it easily replaced. </p>

supraman

Liked Posts:
Yeah figure the Xbox will get the same attention to its faults. Read a review on it, some good things some bad things. The one thing that I noticed was the bumpers on the Xbox controller got worse.</p>