Week 3 IGT: Chicago Bears (1-1) vs St. Louis Rams (1-1) 9/23/12 12:00PM CT Fox

Who wins?

• Total voters

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
They didn't play great; they had great moments and some good running holes, but later in the game when the Rams knew they were running, there was no running room for the Rbs.

The D-line on the otherhand.. looked great, as has the interior with Paea-Okoye getting good pressure.

Milton Waddams

Liked Posts:
I'd consider myself more of a homer than a negative whatever....

It's always great to get a win. The whole week after a victory feels great. After a loss it feels like someone comes into your house every morning and shits in your cereal (esp after a Thursday night loss or pre-bye week loss). But I was hoping for a more impressive showing. The OL certainly didn't play great today. I'm not one of these, "Who cares that we won, we LOOKED bad" -types. But I'd feel even better if the Bears had totally dominated like they did against IND.

Treehorn

Liked Posts:
Relax. I wouldn't say the Oline played great today...compared to the GB game then yes they played great. Too many false starts and Carimi and Webb were just above shitty today...which aint going to be good enough.

Doug Grohlin

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
2-1 feels good, that's what matters to me. Next week they'll play a different team and that game will be completely different.

StrongerThanAll

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
lol the line was terrible today. Our offense scored 1 touchdown. I guess ill send you the link to watch the game next week.

You were the one saying OMG OMG our defense is going to be shit this year over and over. How could you above anyone else call anyone a nancy

herp a derp

f2ea9502-orig.jpg

Great D but we have a long way to go on the other side of the ball if we want to have a chance at a ring

MaoTenDoo

Rabid Homer
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm as homerific as they come, but I'll wait until we win at least two in a row before I start gloating. This team has all the talent, but is way too inconsistent.

Can't wait to introduce the Romo homo to our swarming D-line.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
What kind of pace is #Bears pass rush on through 3 games? Record setting. Seriously.
The Bears recorded six sacks of Rams QB Sam Bradford in today’s 23-6 victory, giving them 14. It’s very early but that puts the defense on pace for 74.7 sacks. The 1984 Bears hold the NFL record for most sacks in a single season with 72.

The last time the Bears had 14 sacks through the first three games was 1987 when the defense totaled 70 sacks – a figure that likely would have been larger had it not been a 15-game season due to a labor stoppage.

The best thing about the pass rush to this point is it is coming from all angles. Israel Idonije was credited with 2.5 in the win and now five players have at least 1.5 sacks. That makes it difficult for offenses to scheme against. We’ll see if the Bears can continue the pace. Thus far, it's been impressive.

TezMaKai

Liked Posts:
Was anyone else scared

When Cutler's right thumb started bleeding. I know it was just a gash or something but some sort of impact must have caused it. This may be a stupid question, but he's alright isn't he?

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I was worried too. Haven't watched his postgame because they're showing the Sox game on comcast sportsnet here. That said, he seemed to be more accurate after they showed that shot

Treehorn

Liked Posts:
I was more scared last week when his vagina started bleeding on national TV.

Gravis

Bears/Bulls/Hawks by 400
Liked Posts:
No, it was probably just a cut of some sort. He threw better as the game went on as well, so it wasn't really bothering him. To the question though, I was a little worried when the announcers mentioned it, but seeing that the tip was taped up I didn't really see any need to let my emotions get any farther than that.

Dogstar

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Northwestern Wildcats
  2. Wisconsin Badgers
oh yeah......Even Waddle and Lombardi admitted on NFL Network that the Offensive line played great today. Blew open running holes EVEN WHEN ST LOOOEY knew we were going to run it, gave Cutler time to pass out of a comfy pocket, etc. etc. etc. Amazing, last week the SKY WAS FALLING WE WOULD NEVER WIN ANOTHER GAME WITH THIS OL OMG OMG OMG!!!!! WORST EVER YOU GUYS!!!...and now we are 2-1, getting ready to rape the Cowboys this week. BEAR DOWN!!!!! :hitler::hitler::hitler::hitler:

1. Bell spent the entire game running into the back of his linemen/blockers.
2. The offensive highlight of the game was a 21-yard Cutler run.
3. You're an idiot.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I'm more concerned for his wellbeing with the diabetes than his effectiveness with the bleeding.

StrongerThanAll

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You weren't/aren't the only one and on the play it didn't look like it hit anything but the ground. I wasn't able to dvr this game so I could be wrong. Hoping to not hear another word about it.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I'm just glad the defense looks to be in 2005-06 form.

Even last week against GB they looked good.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Cutler on O: "We Won"

CHICAGO -- Chicago Bears quarterback Jay Cutler called his performance “hit and miss” Sunday after throwing an interception and generating a passer rating of 58.9 as his team rode the defense to a 23-6 victory over the St. Louis Rams.

What’s important, he said is “we won the game.”

“Offensively, there are some things we can get better,” Cutler said. “But the idea is to win. It’s not a solo tennis match out there. Everywhere, every position has got to improve including myself, offensively. We didn’t play a perfect game. It’s hard to play a perfect game. There’s definitely some areas and some plays that we can improve on.”

Coming off a disastrous outing in a loss last Thursday to the Green Bay Packers which led to 10 days of criticism and intense analysis of the quarterback, not to mention exploration into the dynamics of the locker room, Cutler returned to the field Sunday to complete 17 of 31 passes for 183 yards and an interception against the Rams.

The offense produced just one touchdown on the day with the quarterback shaking off a slow start to complete 4 of 5 for 35 yards during the scoring drive, which was capped by a 3-yard Michael Bush touchdown run.

“Not every game is gonna be 41-21 (which was the score of the Bears' season-opening win over Indianapolis),” Cutler said. “We’re not gonna come out every game and blow the doors off offensively and defensively and on special teams. This is a normal NFL football game. This is what it’s gonna be more than likely week in and week out. That’s what we talked to the offense (about) all week long: just going out, establishing the run, taking the passes when we can and limiting our turnovers. If we get in these (types of games) every game, we’re gonna be O.K.”

Bears coach Lovie Smith expressed a similar thought.

“I expect the offense to do what is required of them on that day,” Smith said. “Some days we may have to score 41 points to win. Other days, it may be about ball security and making plays when we have to. For our team to put up over 20 points, (the) offense has to be in the position to do some good things and they were.”

Cutler threw incompletions on six of his 12 passes in the first quarter, in addition to suffering a sack and throwing an interception on a ball intended for Brandon Marshall that was picked off by Cortland Finnegan. By the end of the first half, Cutler’s passer rating sat at 44.8.

Cutler acknowledged that misfires on his part played a role. But along the way, Chicago’s receivers dropped several passes -- including what would have been a touchdown to Devin Hester in the fourth quarter -- and on a few of the Cutler’s dropbacks, the Rams put him under heavy duress. Cutler praised the offensive line and said the unit played "with a little edge to them." Cutler called the drops “frustrating,” while adding, “I missed a few throws though, too.”

Cutler also hit a couple, including a 34-yard completion to Marshall in the fourth quarter on a play in which “we finally get man (coverage), and we take a shot and we get a big play,” the quarterback said. Earlier in the quarter, Cutler scrambled for a 21-yard gain that set up a Robbie Gould 22-yard field goal.

Cutler thinks it’s “fair” to say the club’s 41-point outburst in the season opener created unrealistic expectations as to what the Bears can do offensively on a week-to-week basis. After a performance like what the Bears produced against the Colts “expectations get raised,” said Cutler, who completed 21 of 35 in that win for 333 yards and two touchdowns.

“Then when you turn around and you have a dismal performance like we did in Green Bay, there’s a bit of a panic button. We just had to get back to the brand of football we’re comfortable with, and when the big plays happen they happen. Those things just naturally have to happen over the course of a game. You can’t force them.”

In the week of preparation leading up to Sunday’s game, the quarterback’s highly-publicized incident involving left tackle J’Marcus Webb led to intense criticism of Cutler and daily analysis of him in several areas, ranging from body language to actual play on the field, in addition to seemingly daily discussions about whether he’d lost the locker room.

In the aftermath of such a difficult week, Cutler was asked if he got a good laugh from all the controversy.

“I don’t chuckle at that, no,” Cutler said. “When you lose a game, it’s tough. You have to go back and take a look at your own performance, get better and move on. That’s not a laughing matter.”