Why Fields hasnt been traded yet

Toast88

Liked Posts:
So how will you know if Caleb Williams is the guy if he can’t perform as well as other QBs drafted in his same position?

Wouldn’t you see similar success as other QBs that compare?

We are going to disagree on this.

I think the bar is set at Burrows, Lawrence and Stroud. If he can’t perform similarly, it’s a bad sign.

2,600 yards. Passer rating in the high 80s. Seems like a slam dunk to me.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
2,600 yards. Passer rating in the high 80s. Seems like a slam dunk to me.
He threw that in 10 games…

He averaged 260 yards a game passing

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Do I need to explain it to you why 2688 yards in ten games is good?

That works out to 4400 passing yards in a season.

But somehow expecting Williams to throw 3600 in 17 is too high an expectation?
Did I say it was? Who are you arguing with?

In any case, I predict Williams will play more than 10 games, so not sure what your point is.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Did I say it was? Who are you arguing with?

In any case, I predict Williams will play more than 10 games, so not sure what your point is.
I am discussing what are reasonable expectations for for a 1.1 QB stats.

I said unless they are similar to top drafted QBs it would be disappointing.

Others disagreed and that it might be expecting too much for Williams to perform similarly.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
I don’t recall claiming Stroud was better than Manning.

You need an instant rookie success.
"I think the bar is set at Burrows, Lawrence and Stroud. If he can’t perform similarly, it’s a bad sign."
I don't think Manning performed similarly.

There's no room for QBs who take time. Or teams that take time to build around them, so basically that rules the Bears out of the running for a good QB ever.

Any QB coming to the Bears this year is going to have struggles. Even if the Bears hit on 2 good WRs, 2 OTs and a center they'll likely be rookies playing like rookies.
The whole reason I became OK with Williams is because he seems like he could survive being on the Bears while they build.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
You need an instant rookie success.
"I think the bar is set at Burrows, Lawrence and Stroud. If he can’t perform similarly, it’s a bad sign."
I don't think Manning performed similarly.

There's no room for QBs who take time. Or teams that take time to build around them, so basically that rules the Bears out of the running for a good QB ever.

Any QB coming to the Bears this year is going to have struggles. Even if the Bears hit on 2 good WRs, 2 OTs and a center they'll likely be rookies playing like rookies.
The whole reason I became OK with Williams is because he seems like he could survive being on the Bears while they build.
Manning set rookie records at QB.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
I am discussing what are reasonable expectations for for a 1.1 QB stats.

I said unless they are similar to top drafted QBs it would be disappointing.

Others disagreed and that it might be expecting too much for Williams to perform similarly.
3,600/3,700 seems pretty conservative. That’s like 200 yards a game. I realize we’re used to Fields averaging less than that, but any halfway competent NFL QB should be able to hit that pretty easily.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
3,600/3,700 seems pretty conservative. That’s like 200 yards a game. I realize we’re used to Fields averaging less than that, but any halfway competent NFL QB should be able to hit that pretty easily.
I was told that’s too much to expect.

My bar was set at 3600 passing and about 300 rushing.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Manning set rookie records at QB.

So did Orton.
Manning 1998, 3-13, 26td 28int, 71.2 rating. 3 fumbles 1 lost. Other than the 3739yds passing people would be ripping their dicks off and saying he was a bust.
And with Stroud's 4k Manning's rookie passing yds may not be good enough to preserve dicks.

Manning is the QB people hold up to say to have patience with rookies. And there are many who had rougher starts that turned into respectable careers.

Canth

Liked Posts:
So how will you know if Caleb Williams is the guy if he can’t perform as well as other QBs drafted in his same position?

Wouldn’t you see similar success as other QBs that compare?

We are going to disagree on this.

I think the bar is set at Burrows, Lawrence and Stroud. If he can’t perform similarly, it’s a bad sign.

it's an interesting question on how you define perform then. Both Lawrence and Burrows lost a ton as rookies - they were nowhere near the playoffs in their rookie years. Yet, you have also said that if Williams misses the playoffs as a rookie, he's a failure. So, which is it?

I thought I would throw in the stats of the 3 guys you named below. Snippets from pro-football-reference.

Trevor Lawrence threw more Ints than TDs as a rookie, which is not uncommon. He also had a shitshow of a coaching staff with Urban Meyer who quit on the team. The team went 3-14 that year. He took a step back this past year, mainly in turnovers but also took more sacks.
1709528317856.png

Joe Burrow played pretty damn well, but got hurt. Team went 2-7-1 while he was in there as a rookie. Obvious huge jump that 2nd year and is considered an elite guy.
1709528355336.png

And Stroud had one of the best rookie years of any QB in NFL history
1709528476952.png

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
So did Orton.
Manning 1998, 3-13, 26td 28int, 71.2 rating. 3 fumbles 1 lost. Other than the 3739yds passing people would be ripping their dicks off and saying he was a bust.
And with Stroud's 4k Manning's rookie passing yds may not be good enough to preserve dicks.

Manning is the QB people hold up to say to have patience with rookies. And there are many who had rougher starts that turned into respectable careers.
You realize Manning did that in 1998 and the standards are different now?

Should we compare everyone to Johnny Lujack?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
it's an interesting question on how you define perform then. Both Lawrence and Burrows lost a ton as rookies - they were nowhere near the playoffs in their rookie years. Yet, you have also said that if Williams misses the playoffs as a rookie, he's a failure. So, which is it?

I thought I would throw in the stats of the 3 guys you named below. Snippets from pro-football-reference.

Trevor Lawrence threw more Ints than TDs as a rookie, which is not uncommon. He also had a shitshow of a coaching staff with Urban Meyer who quit on the team. The team went 3-14 that year. He took a step back this past year, mainly in turnovers but also took more sacks.
View attachment 35389

Joe Burrow played pretty damn well, but got hurt. Team went 2-7-1 while he was in there as a rookie. Obvious huge jump that 2nd year and is considered an elite guy.
View attachment 35390

And Stroud had one of the best rookie years of any QB in NFL history
View attachment 35391
I didn’t say Williams was a failure if he missed the playoffs. I said the coaching staff failed.

The Bears are drafting at one with another teams pick.

The Bears barely missed the playoffs and have two top 10 picks.

The Bears are in a much different position than teams that drafted naturally at one.

And I don’t think it’s out of the question to expect Williams to perform similarly to every other top drafted QB.

Brownie

Liked Posts:
Its kinda telling when you want a rookie to come in here and give him higher expectations than the previous QB who just finished year 3 that gets all the excuses in the world. Context
Definitely. If you pick this dude #1 overall + jettison your team leader + forgo the draft capital you could have gotten by trading out.... YEA, the expectations are way different Sir.

The argument has been that we need to make this move because it's such a "can't miss", "no brainer" and the "obvious" thing to do for us to be in a better position to win games. So let's see it.

Last edited:

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Definitely. If you pick this dude #1 overall + jettison your team leader + forgo the draft capital you could have gotten by trading out.... YEA, the expectations are way different Sir.

The argument has been that we need to make this move because it's such a "can't miss", "no brainer" and the "obvious" thing to do for us to be in a better position to win games. So let's see it.

You make the move because your current QB still hasn't shown consistency as a pocket passer and money decisions are looming. Year 1 of Caleb Williams is not going to have year 3 of Justin Fields expectations but he will still probably beat out his stats anyway

Brownie

Liked Posts:
You make the move because your current QB still hasn't shown consistency as a pocket passer and money decisions are looming. Year 1 of Caleb Williams is not going to have year 3 of Justin Fields expectations but he will still probably beat out his stats anyway
Why not, exactly?

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
You can get something for him. You don't want to cause anything that could bring a divided locker room.
Players are competing for starting positions to a large or small degree at every position all the time. It's a constant fact of the NFL.

Coaches and all players have to participate in having a united team. A divided locker room is very rare. And QBs have not been only focal point. The norm for teams with competing QB is not a divided locker room. Having competing players or coaches is just setting, it's not the cause.