Why Fields hasnt been traded yet

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
No one has an incentive to do anything right now. Fields is cheap from a salary point of view but teams would rather spend cash on a free agent rather than give up draft capital. Once FA dominoes fall, those without a partner likely circle back to Fields if the Bears are settled on Caleb. The last thing Poles wants to do is convince everyone that he is going to draft Caleb thus making Fields’ trade value nothing since the Bears would need to give him away.
Gm's could also have 5-6 Qb's in the draft they rate higher than JF. Watching which teams sign FA QB's gives them an idea of how the draft itself might shake out.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
I still think Poles hung Fields out to dry last year (2022-23 season) with the full intention of moving on from him. Then Fields had that great 6-week span where he was ripping off 50+ yard runs every single game, essentially forcing Poles’ hand to continue evaluating him for another year.

Once Fields didn’t start showing major improvement this past season, though, I don’t think it was all that close.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
In what world does this "maximize" the value of the #1 pick?
if that was the narrative, just announce the Bears would like to trade the #1 pick, they are keeping Fields, and let the bidding begin.

You are making a fool of yourself.

Yep, you just proved you are fucking braindead and would absolutely get your pants stolen right out from under you in any serious type of negotiation.

You're too stupid to even explain it to - you wouldn't get it.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
So CW in year 1 has to meet/exceed the level of JF in year 3? Sorry if already answered
If Fields is in the bottom 20-25 QBs I would expect the number 1 drafted QB to beat Fields out.

Trevor Lawrence threw over 3600 yards his rookie year and ran for over 300.

I would expect Caleb Williams to surpass that since he is more highly touted draftee.

If Williams can’t surpass these it would be kind of a disappointment.

Lurk McGurk

Liked Posts:
I still think Poles hung Fields out to dry last year (2022-23 season) with the full intention of moving on from him. Then Fields had that great 6-week span where he was ripping off 50+ yard runs every single game, essentially forcing Poles’ hand to continue evaluating him for another year.

Once Fields didn’t start showing major improvement this past season, though, I don’t think it was all that close.
That's what I see looking back on it too. I think that's why he pulled the trigger on Claypool as well. He hadn't given Justin anything, so when he showed signs he wanted to do something to help him, and help the evaluation as well, and he didn't have many options to do that at that point.

Rise

Liked Posts:
If Fields is in the bottom 20-25 QBs I would expect the number 1 drafted QB to beat Fields out.

I would expect Caleb Williams to surpass that since he is more highly touted draftee.

I agree with this. I’m giving him 3 years but if he has an average rookie season it will be disappointing. I’m hoping to see great pretty quick. I’m so sick of horrible rookie years and rationalizing how it will be better the next year.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yep, you just proved you are fucking braindead and would absolutely get your pants stolen right out from under you in any serious type of negotiation.

You're too stupid to even explain it to - you wouldn't get it.
Yes, because making other teams think you are going to use the #1 overall pick on CW, thus not even begin to think of putting a trade package together is the way to do it.

Got it!!

You don't seem to understand all the smoke and dagger shit is not necessary when there are multiple teams interested in trading up for the pick.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Everyone wants a wr at 9 but my dream is Alt. I get it I want a stone wall upfront.

I'm more of a need kind of guy. We need a center and picks. Assuming we get Williams trade #9 back a little and get Jackson Powers.

Really wouldn't want to use a 1st on center but thank Poles for thinking Whitehair was good enough to not get a center last year for that.

Rise

Liked Posts:
I'm more of a need kind of guy. We need a center and picks. Assuming we get Williams trade #9 back a little and get Jackson Powers.

Really wouldn't want to use a 1st on center but thank Poles for thinking Whitehair was good enough to not get a center last year for that.

I think center is easier to replace. If that franchise LT is sitting at 9 I’d run to the podium if it was me.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:

Nothing Poles has done says to me that he wanted anything to do with Fields.
By the time things started happening for offense it was for the next QB not Fields. You don't wait 3 years to do anything for a QB you want to work out.

People can make all the rebuild excuses they want but there has never been any urgency for offense and there would've been if Fields was in the plans. He was just a cheap contract place holder from the last GM.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

More highly touted than TL? Not sure I agree there.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Why not? I mean he's a "generational" talent, right?

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
I think Fields performance, (or should I say lack of performance) against the Packers in week 18 definitely sealed the deal for Poles. He knew he was going to trade him 100% after that game. And he knew who was the best QB in the draft before week 18. And has done some research already before week 18 on Williams. These people start collecting information on players way earlier than people think.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
I think center is easier to replace. If that franchise LT is sitting at 9 I’d run to the podium if it was me.

I think you flip our OTs now that they're not rookies and our OT issues are better. Interior is the problem and we don't have picks.
A day 1 starting center is going to be late 1st-early 2nd. Trading #9 solves the problem and leaves a likely WR pick (because the Bears aren't paying for a FA WR worth anything).

There's Connor Williams but he's on an ACL so that could still leave us short and are the Bears going to pay?

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
So all the people that have been begging for patience with Fields are gonna expect instant greatness out of CW.

I think it's more like those with no patience with Fields are not going to have patience with any rookie. We'd better hit on one of those instant greats.

I expect it to be ugly if we don't fix the line and get some WRs.

FozzyBear

Token CCS Minority
Liked Posts:
Fozzie Land, Muppet City, The Former US of A
So all the people that have been begging for patience with Fields are gonna expect instant greatness out of CW.

Well it depends. Is CW a carnivore? JF probably did himself no favors by being a vegan, and probably still suffers from brain fog being a Pescatarian. Is this why he gets hurt more than he should? His diet compounded with coaching/talent may have stunted his development.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
More highly touted than TL? Not sure I agree there.
There has been people mentioning generational. I think Rick Spielman said he’d take him over Peyton Manning.

If he’s not higher rated than Lawrence, he’s right there in the team picture.

Yes, he’d perform his rookie year. And it had better be approaching 4K total yards or it will be a let down.