Why Fields hasnt been traded yet

PhilEBuster

shoopster - Then. Now. Forever.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not really, one was a top 100 player by his peers last year.

One is an unknown, the other is a disappointment. Very likely that caleb could also be a disappointment, because thats how the NFL works.
So stop trying and accept a “disappointment”? . . .

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
What if he's worse? I mean I'll hope for the best but what if CW sucks and Fields is good somewhere?
I'm not saying it's a reason to not draft him. Infact I'm 80% sure it's going to happen.
Will we give him time or give up on him?

some people just aren't accepting reality that Justin Fields is not some all-pro, irreplaceable player no matter how much you like him. Fields was not picked by this GM. He has no incentive to keep trying and hoping in year 4 when his exit plan has manifested into the #1 pick

Leon Sandcastle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I feel like some of the same people would be saying the same things after Fields's 7th season. "He's shown progress!! Give him time to develop! His team sucks. His coaches suck. We can't give up on him now. He's only 28! Etc etc etc."

I'm really confused on fans clamoring to keep a subpar QB with bad statistics in very key categories over taking a chance on a talent like Caleb Williams. If he busts, we're simply back in the same situation we are now. Searching for that elusive franchise QB. Can't pass this opportunity up.
Fair.
Me personally I want one more year because imo he's just getting it.
His 3 years were
1. Nagy as a rookie (sacked 9 times in his first ever game)
2. A first time play caller at OC in a season where nobody wanted to win games.
3. I expected more this year. But that's not enough for me to give up on him.

I can also see the reason for taking CW. I'm glad it's not my decision

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
some people just aren't accepting reality that Justin Fields is not some all-pro, irreplaceable player no matter how much you like him. Fields was not picked by this GM. He has no incentive to keep trying and hoping in year 4 when his exit plan has manifested into the #1 pick
They see a great athlete with a strong arm and leadership qualities and conflate that with being a great QB. His ceiling appears to be good starter/ franchise QB but that's not assured. Better to shoot for one of those top 8 or so guys if you want a chance every year.

RPMcMurphy47

Liked Posts:
Fair.
Me personally I want one more year because imo he's just getting it.
His 3 years were
1. Nagy as a rookie (sacked 9 times in his first ever game)
2. A first time play caller at OC in a season where nobody wanted to win games.
3. I expected more this year. But that's not enough for me to give up on him.

I can also see the reason for taking CW. I'm glad it's not my decision
In different circumstances, like not having the #1 pick, this would be the probable outcome. The prospect of CW alone is just too big of a potential upgrade to take a chance on a 4th year for Fields and the type of contract to follow.

Leon Sandcastle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
In different circumstances, like not having the #1 pick, this would be the probable outcome. The prospect of CW alone is just too big of a potential upgrade to take a chance on a 4th year for Fields and the type of contract to follow.
I get it. I'm awate it's a risk. I guess it's just a feeling for me but I just think we've been through the bad part and it's time for him to be our guy.
That and adding MHJ and Bowers doesn't hurt either 😁

Brownie

Liked Posts:
not really

caleb is an upgrade from justin fields, its that simple. only ones attaching "generational" expectations are the ones against taking caleb in the first place

If he's an upgrade, he better come in ready to win like he mentioned. That's all I'm saying
....the second part about generational, def not true. It's been thrown out there for over a year now. And it's caught on because of all the propaganda. Can't really blame that one on the other side.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
2021-2022. Fields didn’t get the chance to experience success due to lack of talent on Bears.

2021 Dalton was named starter for the Bears. O-line sucked. WRs were not good. Defense was on downhill spiral. Fields didn’t get 1st team reps in preseason. Should’ve never played at all unless in garbage time.

2022 Total gut job. O-line was injured and really bad. Receivers were awful and dropped balls in key situations. Defense was gutted and bad. Fields showed improvement until his best receiver Mooney was injured.

2023. Oline wasn’t healthy in first 4 games. Defense was putrid until Sweat trade. Fields missed 4 games due to injury. Getsy had wtf play calls. Moore and Kmet had breakout years. Fields had incremental improvement but wasn’t enough for management and some posters.

I expect Williams to be better than Fields first two years since Williams will have better talent around him and a better defense. He will have more plays on offense.

I don’t expect a Stroud season, but at least 3500 passing yards, 20 TDs and 11 INTs is fair.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I don't think its out of the question to expect CW to perform similarly to Stroud, Lawrence, Burrows
These three had very different performances their first year so I don’t get grouping them together. Stroud was an all-timer. Lawrence not so much.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
These three had very different performances their first year so I don’t get grouping them together. Stroud was an all-timer. Lawrence not so much.
I had a discussion yesterday that said expecting Lawrence level performance from CW was too much.

I think 3600 passing yards and 300 rushing yards should be a good starting point to evaluate CW.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I had a discussion yesterday that said expecting Lawrence level performance from CW was too much.

I think 3600 passing yards and 300 rushing yards should be a good starting point to evaluate CW.
Judging by stats is dumb. Burrows was injured and had a good season.

msadows

Liked Posts:

So we basically expect the best season out of a bears QB ever as a rookie?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This.

PhilEBuster

shoopster - Then. Now. Forever.
Donator
Liked Posts:
2021-2022. Fields didn’t get the chance to experience success due to lack of talent on Bears.

2021 Dalton was named starter for the Bears. O-line sucked. WRs were not good. Defense was on downhill spiral. Fields didn’t get 1st team reps in preseason. Should’ve never played at all unless in garbage time.

2022 Total gut job. O-line was injured and really bad. Receivers were awful and dropped balls in key situations. Defense was gutted and bad. Fields showed improvement until his best receiver Mooney was injured.

2023. Oline wasn’t healthy in first 4 games. Defense was putrid until Sweat trade. Fields missed 4 games due to injury. Getsy had wtf play calls. Moore and Kmet had breakout years. Fields had incremental improvement but wasn’t enough for management and some posters.

I expect Williams to be better than Fields first two years since Williams will have better talent around him and a better defense. He will have more plays on offense.
Why can't the Fields Fanatics just can't say "Caleb Williams/Maye/et. al. I expect them to do better than Fields because they are better." It's always, "he'll have a better team, better coaches, blah blah blah" . . . You'd think Fields is both the best quarterback and most unsupportive of all time . . .

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
So we basically expect the best season out of a bears QB ever as a rookie?
If you have a stacked O-line and the Bears get depth behind Moore in WR, yes we do.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't think its out of the question to expect CW to perform similarly to Stroud, Lawrence, Burrows
They're giving up a ton of draft capital for him....not out of the question to expect a significant return for your investment. That's the thing, I don't give a fuck what they do with Fields...it's what they're passing up to draft this guy.