Why Fields hasnt been traded yet

PhilEBuster

shoopster - Then. Now. Forever.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Because would Williams or Maye succeed if they were out in exact same spot as Fields first 3 years?

This is why I believe to build the team first before getting the QB. Give the QB the best chance to succeed.

Mahomes, Jackson didn’t came and start right away for their teams. They sat behind a vet QB and didn’t have teams devoid of talent.

Fields came in with a GM and HC heading out the door. The team’s talent was on a downward trend due to being old and bad contracts. Then 2nd year was a gut job. This isn’t a recipe for success to develop a QB.
You’re right, that’s not a good way to develop a QB. Fields was given a raw deal. But he bears responsibility for his play, too. I never see the Fields Fanatics acknowledge that.

How about the very real possibility that Fields has been damaged and learned some bad habits from the poor situation the Bears put him in? Those bad habits (like his inability/fear/whatever we want to call it) to step up in (admittedly weak) pockets, for one) aren’t going to go away simply because the players around him get better. He needs to learn what he should have learned 3 years ago now. Fields is still a project. Do you invest in a project who’s already proven pretty disappointing (23rd in QBR and a very real lack of confidence in the 4th quarter) or do you start fresh with undamaged goods, “generational” goods at that.

There is no comparison. Pudge Poles knows it . . .

PhilEBuster

shoopster - Then. Now. Forever.
Donator
Liked Posts:
The imaginary haul will always win with you guys.
As long as said Haul! . . . Is given to Fields. If it’s done for somebody else, “oh, forget it, Poles blew it again” . . . 🙄

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
You’re right, that’s not a good way to develop a QB. Fields was given a raw deal. But he bears responsibility for his play, too. I never see the Fields Fanatics acknowledge that.

How about the very real possibility that Foelds has been damaged and learned some bad habits from the poor situation the Bears put him in? Those bad habits (like his inability/fear/whatever we want to call it) to step up in (admittedly weak) pockets, for one) aren’t going to go away simply because the players around him get better. Fields is still a project. Do you invest in a project who’s already proven pretty disappointing (23rd in QBR and a very real lack of confidence in the 4th quarter) or do you start fresh with undamaged goods, “generational” goods at that.

There is no comparison. Pudge Poles knows it . . .
I’m not arguing he is damaged. I just want to see Williams do better because he is coming in a better situation than Fields did.

Williams will have a top 10 defense, a better O-line, and more weapons to work with. At least be a game manager and let the Bears be a playoff contender with 9 wins.

Im not asking him to be a beast but show us that you are capable to be a future franchise QB. If not, the Bears wasted the 1st pick on him, and Groundhog Day commences with new HC and GM with a QB they are stuck with.

Leon Sandcastle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Canth

Liked Posts:
We know who Field is. We don’t know what Willams can do in the NFL.

With a trade down. The bears can get MHJ or Nabors, a DE (Turner would be my guy), a2nd round pick for BPA at position of need., a 1st and 2nd 2025. Maybe a 1st in 2026 or a proven NFL player.

That’s a lot to give up for an unknown. The Bears are a playoff contender with Fields as QB. At least be a playoff contender with Williams at the helm. Especially with a stacked team the Bears should be after the draft and FA.
The thing that I dislike on these hypothetical trade downs is that you expect the other teams to be dumb and that all the players you want will just magically be there for the Bears to take with all these theoretical picks. So, you have built it up in your mind and it has little basis in reality.

To get anywhere near that many picks, you are not picking in the top 10, let alone top 5 anymore. Your highest pick will be at 9. So no, you are not getting MHJ and may miss out on Nabers. I hope Nabers is there at 9 in general but I would be surprised. And if you take Nabers then you are not getting your DE at 9.

The follow on argument then often is, well if Fields doesn’t work out you just get the new QB later…..which completely ignores the probable haul you have to give up in the opposite direction for most likely a lesser prospect than Williams.

And all of this seemingly ignores all of the evidence that the rest of the league thinks it is a no brainer that you take Williams and drop Fields.

roadwarrior_joe

Liked Posts:
I'm just saying that if a team is willing to offer that much wouldn't that mean he is the real deal?
The answer is a no from me. Every team has their own needs and wants.

3 1sts and 2 2nds if DJ is a 1st. That was a huge haul and what I'd expect for 1 again
we are talking draft capital. They did not get 3 1st. They swapped their first round picks that year. And only got the Panthers first the following year. So only one additional first.

I forgot about the 2025 second. So yea 2 seconds. So the sum of the draft capital they gave up was 1 first and 2 seconds to move up from 9 to one. So not comparable to the so called haul people think they could get now.

As for DJ, no doubt he is by far a number 1, but again I'm just trying to compare draft capital.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
The thing that I dislike on these hypothetical trade downs is that you expect the other teams to be dumb and that all the players you want will just magically be there for the Bears to take with all these theoretical picks. So, you have built it up in your mind and it has little basis in reality.

To get anywhere near that many picks, you are not picking in the top 10, let alone top 5 anymore. Your highest pick will be at 9. So no, you are not getting MHJ and may miss out on Nabers. I hope Nabers is there at 9 in general but I would be surprised. And if you take Nabers then you are not getting your DE at 9.

The follow on argument then often is, well if Fields doesn’t work out you just get the new QB later…..which completely ignores the probable haul you have to give up in the opposite direction for most likely a lesser prospect than Williams.

And all of this seemingly ignores all of the evidence that the rest of the league thinks it is a no brainer that you take Williams and drop Fields.
Until the Bears can’t develop Williams or he is not good. People thought that Bryce Young was the best QB last year, they were wrong.

Everything is a gamble. Williams regressed from last year. We will see if that trend continues. W

roadwarrior_joe

Liked Posts:
I'm not on any other social media. I guess that explains it
I imagine there are "CW will be the best all time" too though?
Good for you!!! Stay off social media, it will be better for your mental health. It is about as far off the mark from ,being social as can possibly be. I try to limit myself as well.

Leon Sandcastle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
we are talking draft capital. They did not get 3 1st. They swapped their first round picks that year. And only got the Panthers first the following year. So only one additional first.

I forgot about the 2025 second. So yea 2 seconds. So the sum of the draft capital they gave up was 1 first and 2 seconds to move up from 9 to one. So not comparable to the so called haul people think they could get now.

As for DJ, no doubt he is by far a number 1, but again I'm just trying to compare draft capital.
I consider that 3 1sts and 2 2nds because they gave 2 1sts plus dj Moore (easily a first) and 2 2nds for 1 1st.
Tomatoe tomaughto

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't get this thinking. If any team is willing to give up that much in draft capital to get Williams, doesn't that say that this guy is the real deal?
LOL, Teams have Cousins, Wilson, and even Baker Mayfield ahead of JF, are willing to give up a shitload of draft cap to get CW, and this guy cannot see the forest for the trees.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's being talked about in mulitple threads, what do you think "teams are waiting to see what happens with Cousins, Mayfield, and Wilson" mean? If they thought JF was better, these "other" teams would not give a rats ass what happens with these other QB's.

roadwarrior_joe

Liked Posts:
LOL, Teams have Cousins, Wilson, and even Baker Mayfield ahead of JF, are willing to give up a shitload of draft cap to get CW, and this guy cannot see the forest for the trees.
I'm not sure what your point is. But mine was, if teams are willing to give up that much draft capital then this guy is the real deal so why would the Bears pass him up.

Maybe before you comment negatively to someone you should get on top of a 20 foot extension ladder so the point doesn't go over your head.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not sure what your point is. But mine was, if teams are willing to give up that much draft capital then this guy is the real deal so why would the Bears pass him up.

Maybe before you comment negatively to someone you should get on top of a 20 foot extension ladder so the point doesn't go over your head.
I was agreeing with you and adding to your comment, so maybe it is you that needs to take that trip up the extension ladder.

Der-Duh

that is is why I said "and this guy" and not "and you".