Why Fields hasnt been traded yet

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Okay, understood.

But I have to say, we have no idea what he was asking for and we have no idea if any offers came in with any draft #s floated about so all of this conjecture just sounds a bit lame.

You could very well be right and you very well be 100% wrong.
We do know that Poles made statements regarding "doing right" by JF. And he has been far from making any public proclamation that JF is his QB moving forward. You can also be quite sure that teams did approach the Bears, and at least inquire about the asking price. You can also be sure that at least for now, JF is still a Bear. Taking what you do know, it is far more possible what I say is correct, then the copium being tossed about by Fields apologists.

LIBlue

Liked Posts:
Breer reported that the Giants have talked to teams in the top 3 to move up.

Ain't making a move with Washington because they're in the division and New England has Jacoby as their bridge QB and that's it.

Bears/Giants talk will start to heat up to pressure Washington to make the first call with us - then we trade back again to NYG and have our pick of Nabers/Rome and then a DE at 9. Owning the 2025 firsts for both of the NFC East bottom dwellers would be fucking nice.
And the Bears have Justin Fields on a one year rental and that is it.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Not true at all. If he plays good you can tag him, offer him a prove it deal like Love, or a long term deal.
Obviously everything would depend on how he plays.
You can still exercise his option and trade him next year if that's what you want to do. If he remains starting material (he's more likely to improve) the $ is still cheap for a starter.

Dstone5553

Liked Posts:
We do know that Poles made statements regarding "doing right" by JF. And he has been far from making any public proclamation that JF is his QB moving forward. You can also be quite sure that teams did approach the Bears, and at least inquire about the asking price. You can also be sure that at least for now, JF is still a Bear. Taking what you do know, it is far more possible what I say is correct, then the copium being tossed about by Fields apologists.

Maybe. Or maybe teams decided that they wanted to go another route than Fields and no one inquired about him. Or maybe the highest pick offered by a team was a 5th?

But again, you are saying that Poles should have realized Fields was never going to get more than something like a 4th and found a team willing to part with something like a 4th. Something like that, that's what you're saying, right?

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
I wish I knew what "way too high" was/is.
Even if this was true, and it was too high, teams would call Poles’ bluff. They know damn well he will be drafting Caleb. They ain’t fooled at all. So why trade for him now? Wait and the cost will come down later on. Now he can be had for a 6th or 7th round, compared to a 2nd.

PhilEBuster

shoopster - Then. Now. Forever.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Maybe. Or maybe teams decided that they wanted to go another route than Fields and no one inquired about him. Or maybe the highest pick offered by a team was a 5th?

But again, you are saying that Poles should have realized Fields was never going to get more than something like a 4th and found a team willing to part with something like a 4th. Something like that, that's what you're saying, right?
Actually, yes. It’s Poles’s job to accept what may be happening around him and alter his plans if necessary. This whole thing has gotten way out of hand and the Bears have lost all leverage.

Dstone5553

Liked Posts:
Not true at all. If he plays good you can tag him, offer him a prove it deal like Love, or a long term deal.
Obviously everything would depend on how he plays.

Yeah, getting two #1s would be pretty cool. And then you figure out the QB situation next year. And possible miss out on a franchise QB in Williams.

But not for nothing...aren't you tired of the whole 'depending on how he plays' bit? Like, haven't we seen enough to know how he's going to fucking play?

DefNextYear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Even if this was true, and it was too high, teams would call Poles’ bluff. They know damn well he will be drafting Caleb. They ain’t fooled at all. So why trade for him now? Wait and the cost will come down later on. Now he can be had for a 6th or 7th round, compared to a 2nd.
The reason to trade now isn't driven by what Poles would do with the No. 1 pick.

Hypothetically, lets say Justin Jefferson is on the trade market... The Vikings call up Poles and say "We really want to move JJ ASAP. We can't invest the money in him and we're worried about it. I'm just putting all my cards on the table, we are motivated to move him now and will be taking the best offer. We want at least one first, but we're going to listen to offers and take the best one." So, what we know in this hypothetical is that the Vikings are motivated to trade JJ. And I get the hypothetical is ridiculous cause JJ would get multiple first... let's just not get into that. But do you think it's smart to wait it out until they are willing to do it for a 6th or 7th round pick? Obviously, that won't work, cause someone else is definitely willing to give more than a 6th or 7th round pick.

This same logic applies to Fields. If Fields is desired by at least two teams, then they will bid up his price to true value whether that's today or that's later. Value doesn't come down unless everyone interested decides he's worth less. You can't just bluff Poles cause then someone may give up a 4th and you're stuck there dumbfounded at what happened if you were truly willing to give up at least a 3rd.

Bottom line, Fields' value is driven by the market and the bidders' offers. If there's some collusion to drive his price down, it only benefits one team in that scenario and the rest are just willingly hurting the Bears to help some other random opponent... and not themselves.

zabavka

The owls are not what they seem...
Liked Posts:
Again, maybe Poles asked for too much in return and as a result, teams went elsewhere.

Poles isn't a total idiot, maybe it was intentional. Could George and Kevin have their thumbs on the scale?

And FTR this is the Bears we are talking about. Anything is possible, even them not actually shopping Fields.
This totally has Georgie's cowardly stench all over it. Can't handle Williams driving the bus instead of him.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Everything has a price....

As I said previously, if they just wanted move Fields he would already be gone...

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
The reason to trade now isn't driven by what Poles would do with the No. 1 pick.

Hypothetically, lets say Justin Jefferson is on the trade market... The Vikings call up Poles and say "We really want to move JJ ASAP. We can't invest the money in him and we're worried about it. I'm just putting all my cards on the table, we are motivated to move him now and will be taking the best offer. We want at least one first, but we're going to listen to offers and take the best one." So, what we know in this hypothetical is that the Vikings are motivated to trade JJ. And I get the hypothetical is ridiculous cause JJ would get multiple first... let's just not get into that. But do you think it's smart to wait it out until they are willing to do it for a 6th or 7th round pick? Obviously, that won't work, cause someone else is definitely willing to give more than a 6th or 7th round pick.

This same logic applies to Fields. If Fields is desired by at least two teams, then they will bid up his price to true value whether that's today or that's later. Value doesn't come down unless everyone interested decides he's worth less. You can't just bluff Poles cause then someone may give up a 4th and you're stuck there dumbfounded at what happened if you were truly willing to give up at least a 3rd.

Bottom line, Fields' value is driven by the market and the bidders' offers. If there's some collusion to drive his price down, it only benefits one team in that scenario and the rest are just willingly hurting the Bears to help some other random opponent... and not themselves.
He still ain’t moving from him until he gets to know Caleb more. Unfortunately, it’s too early. Would an earlier interview with Caleb helped out, yes. But it didn’t happen. And Caleb had every right to postpone it until after his Pro day. Sucks for Poles but it is what it is. We will see what transpires.

Leon Sandcastle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, getting two #1s would be pretty cool. And then you figure out the QB situation next year. And possible miss out on a franchise QB in Williams.

But not for nothing...aren't you tired of the whole 'depending on how he plays' bit? Like, haven't we seen enough to know how he's going to fucking play?
I dont care what everyone says honestly. Me personally I feel he hasn't even come close to his peak. The talent is there and the game will slow down for him. Just my opinion.
I'm all for Williams. Unfortunately it's not my decision so therefore I'll just roll with whatever Poles does. My opinion means absolutely nothing.

inchibearfan

Liked Posts:
I dont care what everyone says honestly. Me personally I feel he hasn't even come close to his peak. The talent is there and the game will slow down for him. Just my opinion.
I'm all for Williams. Unfortunately it's not my decision so therefore I'll just roll with whatever Poles does. My opinion means absolutely nothing.
Fields ceiling is most likely about 15th best in the league. He brought himself up to the 23rd - 25th best currently.

GoDJtop10

Liked Posts:
This totally has Georgie's cowardly stench all over it. Can't handle Williams driving the bus instead of him.
Quite possibly because the Chicago Bears organization, as a whole, have no intention on trading Justin Fields or keeping the #1 overall draft pick.

Secondly, why in the world would any organization allow a player to make decisions for their organization? The purpose of owning a franchise is for you and your management team to “drive the bus”.

PhilEBuster

shoopster - Then. Now. Forever.
Donator
Liked Posts:
If King George and his executive henchman Warren are significantly affecting Poles’s personnel decisions then we all may as well pack it in now . . .

DefNextYear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He still ain’t moving from him until he gets to know Caleb more. Unfortunately, it’s too early. Would an earlier interview with Caleb helped out, yes. But it didn’t happen. And Caleb had every right to postpone it until after his Pro day. Sucks for Poles but it is what it is. We will see what transpires.
On the Bears side, yes, of course... Poles wants to know about Caleb. On the other teams' sides? Nope... they couldn't care less about what Poles is trying to figure out. All they need to know is if they want Fields or not. If they want Fields, then they have a price in mind for him. If they want to lowball Poles, they can do that, but also run the risk that any other team interested won't go as low and they could end up missing out on Fields. It's not just about teams vs. Poles bluffing. It's about teams vs. other interested teams. This is essentially an auction. I know the seller is selling something on eBay, but that doesn't matter if someone wants to outbid me.