Will Fields start the season?

Yes or No

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Payton34Sayers40

Liked Posts:
No. And he shouldnt unless he absolutely balls out in the preseason. No need to rush this. Just look at how it worked out for Mahomes with a season behind Alex Smith. You give him a start or two near the end of the season hoping that Dalton stays healthy all season and doesnt force your hand.

This

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
I'm crap at watching college and translating it to NFL but watching the 6-7 plays in the highlight the Bears tweeted I'd say he has the ability to do better than Trubisky with this team. Mobile but can also hit a WR in stride.
If he's not starting I'd suspect him of being a mental midget who can't soak up Nagy's system (which I already suspect is Nagy's system).

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm crap at watching college and translating it to NFL but watching the 6-7 plays in the highlight the Bears tweeted I'd say he has the ability to do better than Trubisky with this team. Mobile but can also hit a WR in stride.
If he's not starting I'd suspect him of being a mental midget who can't soak up Nagy's system (which I already suspect is Nagy's system).
"Justin Fields, the guy who supposedly can't go through his reads, doesn't have great work ethic, all this bogus stuff -- he scored the highest. Ever. He scored the highest that they can rank him. He scored a 130 on it. [Patrick] Mahomes was like a 108. Josh Allen was like a 108. Over 100 is good.

msadows

Liked Posts:

He can 100% be better than mitch/foles now. That's not the issue, the issue is you don't want to stunt his growth by putting him out there before he knows he can take the ups and downs

Mental midget or not, this city destroys the psyche of athletes. I'd rather the fanbase not get to destroy a non finished product.

No need to put pressure on the kid on what should be a season we aren't very competitive, unless Arod is gone from the division.

CHIBEAR

Liked Posts:
Fair points and plans can and will change. But I have no doubt that to start the offseason, Dalton will be the starter and it will be on Fields to prove he deserves it. He will not be handed it just on draft status at least at the beginning.

But yeah, I get what you are saying that Alex Smith was at least an incumbent and more natural to stay as the starter. I just wouldn't overlook that Dalton has played for 10 years and started over 140 games. I think that experience will give him the nod to start at least at the beginning of the season.

Nagy did show last year that he isn't afraid to make a quick change at the qb position either. So assuming that Dalton starts, he may not last long if/when he stumbles or fails to execute the offense.

It makes no sense when according to the most around here

Foles sucks
Dalton sucks

and the coach sucks too

but somehow Fields should sit so he can learn from these guys' who people have been going on for months claiming they suck.

If hes the guy the system is his system not Daltons and the reps he would get are important and its even more so when its very real possibility that we have seen the end of minicamps in the NFL .

Fields needs as many reps as he can get and we just don't have a year to waste

Reactions: Myk

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It makes no sense when according to the most around here

Foles sucks
Dalton sucks

and the coach sucks too

but somehow Fields should sit so he can learn from these guys' who people have been going on for months claiming they suck.

If hes the guy the system is his system not Daltons and the reps he would get are important and its even more so when its very real possibility that we have seen the end of minicamps in the NFL .

Fields needs as many reps as he can get and we just don't have a year to waste
Fields is already a better athlete than both QBs and he's got plenty of experience from a major college program...and he's got the brain to pick up the offense quickly.

I do not think we are going to wait very long.

CHIBEAR

Liked Posts:
What's scary is if we start losing ....Pace and Nagy fear for their jobs and force Fields into playing

Whats scary is bringing in someone and declaring them not good enough to start before they even step on the field after months of excessive whining about how bad the qb play is

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Fields is already a better athlete than both QBs and he's got plenty of experience from a major college program...and he's got the brain to pick up the offense quickly.

I do not think we are going to wait very long.

I hear ya....I just hate to see him forced out there.

Last edited:

Major Ursa

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Utah State Aggies
I don't think he will start solely based on the experience Nagy had with Mahomes.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He needs work

They're paying Dalton

He likely won't get a full off season with camps likely being limited again

However

If he pulls a Russell Wilson and is clearly ready and can handle everything and is heads and shoulders better than Dalton.....then yes, start him.....but please get him some oline help and weapons.

Basically forget defense draft picks the next 2 rounds.....get a tackle, who can be a future LT and a wr (or two) with speed
That's the only way. A huge Russell Wilson like step up is what it would take to throw him out there. It could happen but I'm not counting on it.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
What's scary is if we start losing ....Pace and Nagy fear for their jobs and force Fields into playing
Whats scary is bringing in someone and declaring them not good enough to start before they even step on the field after months of excessive whining about how bad the qb play is

But unless he pulls a "Russell Wilson vs Matt Flynn"........let sit a learn

mecha

Liked Posts:
I think the long-term strategy will be ride out 2021 and hopefully lose games to pick high in 2022 draft. use Dalton, sit Fields, and hopefully the team deals Foles then. I don't see them holding onto 2 vets and a rookie at QB.

the draft now is so fucking stupid having a 1st round day, a 2nd round day, and an everything else day. so they go OT in 2nd, right?

Montucky

Liked Posts:
I think the long-term strategy will be ride out 2021 and hopefully lose games to pick high in 2022 draft. use Dalton, sit Fields, and hopefully the team deals Foles then. I don't see them holding onto 2 vets and a rookie at QB.

the draft now is so fucking stupid having a 1st round day, a 2nd round day, and an everything else day. so they go OT in 2nd, right?
The 2022 first round draft pick belongs to the Giants.

CHIBEAR

Liked Posts:
But unless he pulls a "Russell Wilson vs Matt Flynn"........let sit a learn

sit and learn what from who ? At this point there will be no more OTA so those camp reps become gold .

We dont have a system in place and when we cut Foles it will be an entirely new offense with a new qb anyway . Why would we not put Fields right in the thick of things and go from there.

Dalton doesn't know any of these guys he will be heading into camp learning a new system as well so if this is Nagys draft then there is no reason not to give Fields a serious shot at the job .

jts1207

Liked Posts:
Fields is not a 2 year extension for Pace/Nagy. Needs to be Day 1 starter.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
sit and learn what from who ? At this point there will be no more OTA so those camp reps become gold .

We dont have a system in place and when we cut Foles it will be an entirely new offense with a new qb anyway . Why would we not put Fields right in the thick of things and go from there.

Dalton doesn't know any of these guys he will be heading into camp learning a new system as well so if this is Nagys draft then there is no reason not to give Fields a serious shot at the job .

I just don't wanna see him "damaged". He could learn from Dalton.

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
He should be given every opportunity to be the team's starter in training camp. I think it's dumb to preemptively sit him without even knowing how he will play. Russell Wilson and Dak Prescott are great examples of this. If the guy looks better than Dalton and Foles in training camp, why wouldn't you start him?

That being said, If he doesn't outperform the other two guys and ends up sitting, how likely do you think it is that the Bears will have a team good enough later in the year to where they don't even have to entertain the idea of replacing Dalton with Fields at some point? If they start the season 1-2 or 1-3, there's no way you don't see him on the field. I don't think Nagy has so much job security that he can withstand losing a bunch of games.