Yes or No

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

85Bears

Formerly known as 85Bears
Donator
Liked Posts:
Now I'm actually somewhat excited to see what Andy Dalton can do. He'll probably suck, but if he can make a decent showing for half a year or a year, all the better for Fields.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
That's the only way. A huge Russell Wilson like step up is what it would take to throw him out there. It could happen but I'm not counting on it.

In Wilsons case..... It was just painfully obvious that Matt Flynn was substandard to Wilson.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I agree; let him sit; get your offensive line sorted out one way or another (particularly at left tackle), and get more potent at wide receiver. The good thing about Justin Fields is you can now design an offense that isn't completely predicated on the first read being open, provided he has time to deliver the rock. Colin Cowherd called Mitchell a one-read QB, and a lot of people were upset by it at the time, but he called it correctly.

Well we have to agree with a HOF Qb like Colin Cowherd, o_O :)

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well if Pace and Nagy end up fired, it would probably be a new system again the following season
Pace and Nagy aren't getting fired. I suspected from beginning of the offseason that their jobs are safer than we think. Plus I doubt the Bears were going to fire a coach who went to the playoffs 2 out of 3 years even though it was on the back of the defense. The fact that they drafted a QB also tells me that their jobs are safe. I don't see how management would let him draft a QB only to fire him next year if they have a bad year and then hire a coach who says Fields wasn't his choice at QB. I think Nagy and Pace have at least 2 to 3 more years on the team.

As far as Fields, I don't think the Bears should rush him. I think Dalton should be decent enough for a mediocre season. My only reason I don't want Dalton starting is because if he sucks, that Bears 1st that the Giants acquired could be a top 10 pick. I don't want that. If Fields ends up starting, I don't think it would be too bad for him. Zach Wilson and Trevor Lawrence are expected to start and I don't think they're that much better than Fields that Fields couldn't succeed if he had to start.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well we have to agree with a HOF Qb like Colin Cowherd, o_O :)
I was annoyed for many reasons that he ended up being correct, not the least of which is what he meant for the team I've cheered for for 45 years.

Midwaymonster75

Liked Posts:
I mean it’s inevitable Dalton sucks and/or gets hurt. I guess question is, is Fields your #2 or #3? If Foles is gone, Fields is staring by week 5 or 6.
JF could be starting by week 5 or 6 because hes simply playing better in practice. It would have to be lights out better in practice but its possible. This kid is a big time talent.

CHIBEAR

Liked Posts:
I just don't wanna see him "damaged". He could learn from Dalton.

Dalton or Foles could teach him a lot as his veteran backup qb/mentor

It will be far more damaging to waste 8 months of meaningful development time . Let the kid get out there and compete and then assess whether he should be opening day starter.

To do anything else besides that is setting them all up for failure

Nelly

Liked Posts:
I think they intend to have Dalton be the guy for now but wouldn't hesitate to throw Fields in there if he's showing he's deserving of it in camp.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I just don't wanna see him "damaged". He could learn from Dalton.

Dalton or Foles could teach him a lot as his veteran backup qb/mentor

It will be far more damaging to waste 8 months of meaningful development time . Let the kid get out there and compete and then assess whether he should be opening day starter.

To do anything else besides that is setting them all up for failure

Well if it's a Matt Flynn - Russ Wilson situation type situation.......then yes, ya might as well put Fields out there.
Otherwise....I'd like to see a Mahomes sit it out- situation.

Last edited:

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Foles has got to be pretty upset right now. It's too bad his dead cap number is like $14.3 Million, otherwise I'm sure they'd cut him outright.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Here's something else...if Dalton does well, maybe we can get a decent draft choice for him.

Brandon Marshall

Liked Posts:
Here's something else...if Dalton does well, maybe we can get a decent draft choice for him.
Then the Mike McCarthy effect has to be serious. He had a top OL, top receivers, and Zeke (though he struggled) and didn't really do much with it.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Then the Mike McCarthy effect has to be serious. He had a top OL, top receivers, and Zeke (though he struggled) and didn't really do much with it.

Oh, I hear ya. Now the flip-side is ppl will say Dallas doesn't have a good D

Brandon Marshall

Liked Posts:
Oh, I hear ya. Now the flip-side is ppl will say Dallas doesn't have a good D
Shouldn't really affect the offense though right? I mean not that significantly. Also Dalton is a 1 year deal so I can't see him being traded mid-season and certainly wouldn't gamble with a tag or anything and then being stuck with a 34 year old backup. I'm just hopeful he will serve his role better than Foles would.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Shouldn't really affect the offense though right? I mean not that significantly. Also Dalton is a 1 year deal so I can't see him being traded mid-season and certainly wouldn't gamble with a tag or anything and then being stuck with a 34 year old backup. I'm just hopeful he will serve his role better than Foles would.

Yeah the D has hurt Dallas' offense. Right....the D won't be a problem here.

Brandon Marshall

Liked Posts:
Yeah the D has hurt Dallas' offense. Right....the D won't be a problem here.
I mean if the OL isn't ready to protect Fields or Fields himself needs more time then I am more than happy to see what Dalton can do and hope he helps Mooney and Kmet develop and get more opportunities than Foles did. I definitely think he will be better in that regard, if made starter. I don't think anything short of a probowl caliber season would make him a tradable off-season asset though and I think that's just not possible since an OL not good enough for Fields certainly wouldn't be good enough for Dalton to shine.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I mean if the OL isn't ready to protect Fields or Fields himself needs more time then I am more than happy to see what Dalton can do and hope he helps Mooney and Kmet develop and get more opportunities than Foles did. I definitely think he will be better in that regard, if made starter. I don't think anything short of a probowl caliber season would make him a tradable off-season asset though and I think that's just not possible since an OL not good enough for Fields certainly wouldn't be good enough for Dalton to shine.

Well that's the ideal Qb development situation. Ya bring the young Qb(s) along and ya get something for the back-up. Rinse and repeat. ( See N.E. & G.B.)

BearUp

Liked Posts:
No. And he shouldnt unless he absolutely balls out in the preseason. No need to rush this. Just look at how it worked out for Mahomes with a season behind Alex Smith. You give him a start or two near the end of the season hoping that Dalton stays healthy all season and doesnt force your hand.
You realize this means committing to Pace/Nagy past this season too, right?

Brandon Marshall

Liked Posts:
Well that's the ideal Qb development situation. Ya bring the young Qb(s) along and ya get something for the back-up. Rinse and repeat. ( See N.E. & G.B.)
If Dalton was on a multi year contract then it would be possible, but 1 year deal rules that out. Foles would be the guy you could build up and trade, but I flat out do not trust Foles to be able to do anything.