Yu Darvish on the move?

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Here's all I will say.... it looks like a bad trade now no doubt. But what I will say is Preller has been good at finding international talent. With Quintero and Made from that international class plus them now adding Preciado and Mena they have 4 of the top 12 international prospects from that class. Caissie was the 45th overall pick. Santana has roughly similar value to a top 20 pick in the draft.

So, if you look at it like draft picks it's a top 20 pick, 2 top 45 picks, and probably a third round pick plus Davies. I don't think that's necessarily "enough" but the amount of talent that could yield could be interesting.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Basically this will be A ball beef up time. MB will find joy in their team while Chi goes for a 100 loss season yet again. Welcome back to hell boys.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Let’s be real here. Darvish is a mid 30’s starting pitcher with a big contract in a time when most teams want to cut spending. What did you actually think he would yield in a trade to begin with?!

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
This is 150% Ricketts.
Hiring Hoyer as Theo’s replacement was the easiest and laziest thing they could have done. You have a CY runner up and can’t even get 1 top ten farmhand for him? That’s a very lopsided trade. The Padres just stuck it up the Cubs’ poop shoot,

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Let’s be real here. Darvish is a mid 30’s starting pitcher with a big contract in a time when most teams want to cut spending. What did you actually think he would yield in a trade to begin with?!
The Rays got 2 top ten prospects. The Cubs got zero, including guys who haven’t ever played one damn MiLB game.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
A Top 10 prospect of the Padres. A player with an MLB future. Not four Top 10's. One. And filler.

And on top of the fact we got ZERO Top 100 prospects in return, we included a switch-hitting C/DH/1B. Caratini is not an All Star, but he is a useful major leaguer. Hell, he played in half the Cubs games while we have Contreras, and SD insisted on him being included. Getting back quantity over quality does no good.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
The Rays got 2 top ten prospects. The Cubs got zero, including guys who haven’t ever played one damn MiLB game.

last I checked Blake snell is a good bit younger than Yu. That’s my point

PickleBoy123

Liked Posts:
A Top 10 prospect of the Padres. A player with an MLB future. Not four Top 10's. One. And filler.

And on top of the fact we got ZERO Top 100 prospects in return, we included a switch-hitting C/DH/1B. Caratini is not an All Star, but he is a useful major leaguer. Hell, he played in half the Cubs games while we have Contreras, and SD insisted on him being included. Getting back quantity over quality does no good.
I think there is too much emphasis on lists and rankings here. These guys we got are incredibly young. Two years from now we could very well be talking about four “top 100” prospects. This is clearly a move that is meant to be for 4-6 years down the road. It’s going to be a journey to get there but let’s see how they develop before we trash the deal.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
It was part salary dump. It also shows the Cubs are in for a complete rebuild of 3 years or so. These are all super young guys with high upside. The talent they got back is way more then people are stating, but because they arent top 100. This trade will be decided in a couple of years. Yu is made to win now. Cubs arent trying to win now and they are def cutting money. I would assume everyone is on the block. Seems Bryant trade value is very low. Baez and Contreras are heading for final years. They are about to flip everyone they can

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
2 kids are 18. 1 is 17. One is a 2nd round pick from this past June, one of the international Caribean kids is comp'd to Gregor Polanco by mlb pipeline. For a 35-year-old coming off a good season, still due a lot of money.

Initial overreactions aside, the only gripe is that there's no pitching coming back, especially from a system Hoyer should know/has gotten guys from before with success.

Big problem if Marquez doesn't pan out.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
What cracks me up is that you guys are so surprised by this. Theo took a quick exit for a reason.

The two baseball teams in town are basically flip flopping.....for the Cubs, it's probably a good time to do it with no fans at games etc. plus for one year, baseball won't be the only game in town with both the NBA and NHL crossing into MLB's time.
It will be a Sox baseball town for awhile....they earned it with a real nice rebuild.

I saw a Cub's WS....so I really don't give a fuck what happens now. A second one wouldn't be any where near as much fun anyway.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
What cracks me up is that you guys are so surprised by this. Theo took a quick exit for a reason.

The two baseball teams in town are basically flip flopping.....for the Cubs, it's probably a good time to do it with no fans at games etc. plus for one year, baseball won't be the only game in town with both the NBA and NHL crossing into MLB's time.
It will be a Sox baseball town for awhile....they earned it with a real nice rebuild.

I saw a Cub's WS....so I really don't give a fuck what happens now. A second one wouldn't be any where near as much fun anyway.
I personally watched the bulls win 5 championships. The last one was just as much fun as the first.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Well at least we got the Bears, Bulls, and Blackhawks. Chicago be killing it!

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The part that got me was Jed looking for pitching got 1year of control on that front and more infield depth.

Davies is not bad at all but if your goal is pitching this is not the preferred method.

Steve_A

Liked Posts:
Trading away pitching is flat out not smart when you can’t develop any.
Thank you ownership for being cheap and thank you Jed for making a win able division much harder to win.
What really stinks is that the Pads did not have to give up any decent prospects in return. How in the world do you not get anyone within the top 100 with a CY runner up.