1 year in - Who is Mitchell Trubisky Comparasion?

jive

Liked Posts:
Steve McNair - Accurate passer in the short to midrange area with some ability to throw the long ball with medium velocity. Efficient runner, but not blindingly fast. More of a passer than runner. Similar builds at 6'2" 225-230 with somewhat bulkier frames.

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Mitch is somewhere between Alex Smith and Aaron Rodgers in play style and talent. More athletic Philip Rivers? I don't really see the Stafford or Leftwich compare and this entire pigeon holing a QB process is flawed anyway. They are all unique.

Alex Smith was runny dog shit for the first several seasons of his career. In rookie numbers alone, Mitch looks like a shiny golden god compared to Smith.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Why do people keep comparing Trubisky to Smith? In Smith’s rookie year, he had a 50.9 completion percentage, 1 TD to 11 ints, and a 40.8 passer rating.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Tony Romo
:enough:

Kurt Warner but can run.
:slap:

I think Alex Smith seems like a good comparison. We'll be very lucky if he can sustain that level for the next several years

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
if Trubisky has the same first 4 years Smith did, he won't get another contract.
I see Deshaun Watson as trubisky’s floor.
:trollbisky:

How about Marcus Mariota?
Maybe, minus the warrior spirit.

Wasn't Bearmick the biggest Grossman fan? Can't remember
I 'member

Couldn't tell you, but he was the first to trash Cutler
I was trashing Cutler while Mick was predicting he'd be better than Aaron Rodgers.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The thing with Alex Smith is that he can throw it over the defense or in front of the defense, but he can’t throw it in between the defense. The Chiefs pretty much eliminated all those intermediate reads because Smith just doesn’t have the confidence to make them. They used speed to clear out the short game for him, and they used that short game to clear out the deep shots for him. There was nothing in between. Trubisky has the arm and accuracy to hit those intermediate tight windows in between defenders. It’s a strength of his game. So I don’t see them as comparable players.

True but he rarely threw it over the D successfully either until very recently. We already know Mitch has no problem throwing seems and why I said better than Smith and why I said better than Smith. Mitch actually didn't throw deep a lot either but that was hardly by choice. Their Skill sets are similar but Smith's head has always held him back. Rodgers throws really nice seems and it's also something Mitch has been noted for. They have similar run motivations and angles. Obviously Mitch is not likely to become the best of a decade so that's why I had him between the 2.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Alex Smith was runny dog shit for the first several seasons of his career. In rookie numbers alone, Mitch looks like a shiny golden god compared to Smith.

Yes, above Alex Smith. We are comparing to current QBs. Others have issue with Rodgers but Rodgers did shit for 3 years. Again, WTF! He was my choice in the 2017 draft. Nobody takes him there if they think his final destination is the sum of Alex Smith. He has similar physical traits though he's physically stronger than either. Again, they are all unique.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Mitch Trubisky Has a New Comparison and It’s Controversial

mitch trubisky
Mitch Trubisky stated during his latest press conference that he doesn’t pay attention to comparisons with other quarterbacks. He’s focused on just helping the Chicago Bears win. Meanwhile, he has guys like new teammate Trey Burton calling him the next Carson Wentz or the media proclaiming him another Jared Goff. There are certain reasons behind each comparison but none have delved deep into who he is as an actual player.

Reports from NFL sources a while back stated that Trubisky reminded them most of Rich Gannon. That one made the most sense of all the names mentioned. In terms of size, arm strength, and athleticism the former MVP and four-time Pro Bowler exhibited a similar game that the Bears quarterback possessed. Not bad.

Well, now another prominent expert has thrown his hat in the ring. Andy Benoit of the MMQB is noted for his heavy tape study. He’s examined Trubisky extensively from all his starts last season. After careful examination, he sees a different QB the second-year man emulates. One that may irritate or excite Bears fans depending on perspective.

Mitch Trubisky could be an upgraded Kirk Cousins
What happens when the name Kirk Cousins is brought up to NFL fans? A fierce fight breaks out, that’s what. No, not literally but more on social media and comments sections. There are two camps. One who believes Cousins is a legit starter in the league among the best and others who feel he’s overrated and a system guy. So it must’ve created a small firestorm when Benoit compared Trubisky to him.

“FOR WHAT HE CAN BE: TRUBISKY HAS A STRONG ENOUGH ARM, BUT HE’S NOT BRETT FAVRE. HE’S A GOOD ATHLETE, BUT HE’S NOT MICHAEL VICK. HIS GREATEST ATTRIBUTE IS HIS ABILITY TO THROW ON THE MOVE, BOTH BY DESIGN (ROLLOUTS, BOOTLEGS) AND IMPROVISATION. LIKE MANY MOBILE RIGHTHANDED QBS, HE’S PARTICULARLY PROFICIENT OUTSIDE THE POCKET TO HIS RIGHT.

BUT IN THE NFL, ON-THE-MOVE PASSING CAN ONLY BE AN OFFENSE’S SIDE DISH, NOT THE ENTRÉE. AND SO TRUBISKY’S SUCCESS, LIKE EVERY PRO QB’S, WILL COME DOWN TO HOW WELL HE PLAYS WITHIN THE POCKET. GIVEN HIS GOOD-NOT-GREAT ARM STRENGTH, THIS MEANS HOW WELL HE CAN DEVELOP AS A TIMING AND RHYTHM PASSER. THINK OF TRUBISKY AS A POTENTIALLY BETTER VERSION OF KIRK COUSINS.”

Cousins has thrown for 4,000 yards each of the past three years. He carried the Washington Redskins to two winning seasons and a playoff berth in that span. He also soundly beat the Bears both times they met. At the same time, he’s constantly come up short in big games. He managed just 18 points in his playoff debut against Green Bay and held a mere 8-14 record against the NFC East upon leaving in free agency this year.

So both the praise and criticisms are fair.
The question is hand is what exactly is a “better” Cousins? If this means Trubisky will throw for 4,000 yards every year AND perform at a higher level against the division, then that should be what Bears fans want. Nobody ever said he had to be Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers. What was desired is a capable quarterback who can deliver some victories himself when the team isn’t quite up to the task. That’s what franchise quarterbacks do.

Cousins isn’t perfect but the Minnesota Vikings shelled out $24 million a year to get him. He’s good and they feel he can direct them to a championship. That’s what Bears fans should focus on with this comparison.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
Why do people keep comparing Trubisky to Smith? In Smith’s rookie year, he had a 50.9 completion percentage, 1 TD to 11 ints, and a 40.8 passer rating.

Because we comparing playing style and not stats. Stats don't tell you anything.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Gannon's arm was comically weak; the buccaneers called him Rich "ain't got no cannon" Gannon. He had comparable arm strength to Chad Pennington. Trubisky doesn't have a cannon but it's still above average. They do play similar though.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't know where this is coming from. Did people not see some of Mitch's throws last season had serious zip behind the ball? He threw some fastballs that were frozen ropes.

Speed

Liked Posts:
I don't know where this is coming from. Did people not see some of Mitch's throws last season had serious zip behind the ball? He threw some fastballs that were frozen ropes.

Yeah his arm is definitely at least good, but probably slightly above that. You can't throw on the run like that with a piss weak or slightly above-average arm.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
NFL all time lowest interception percentage.

1. Aaron Rodgers 1.6%
2. Colin Kaepernick 1.8%
T2. Tom Brady 1.8%

He wasn't the best but better than a lot of guys out there.

How would we feel if after his second year as a starter Trubisky has a TD to INT ratio of 31 to 11? I would say he exceeded expectations. That would mean Mitch would go 24 TD's and 4 Int's in 2018, I could live with that.

Answered because it was asked. Wasn't comparing to anyone.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Gannon's arm was comically weak; the buccaneers called him Rich "ain't got no cannon" Gannon. He had comparable arm strength to Chad Pennington. Trubisky doesn't have a cannon but it's still above average. They do play similar though.

Gannon would run much more before he got older and went to the Raiders.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
As has been stated by me on numerous occasions, I'm a big fan of the OP, however player comparisons are the lazy man's evaluation tool.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Mitch Trubisky Has a New Comparison and It’s Controversial

mitch trubisky
Mitch Trubisky stated during his latest press conference that he doesn’t pay attention to comparisons with other quarterbacks. He’s focused on just helping the Chicago Bears win. Meanwhile, he has guys like new teammate Trey Burton calling him the next Carson Wentz or the media proclaiming him another Jared Goff. There are certain reasons behind each comparison but none have delved deep into who he is as an actual player.

Reports from NFL sources a while back stated that Trubisky reminded them most of Rich Gannon. That one made the most sense of all the names mentioned. In terms of size, arm strength, and athleticism the former MVP and four-time Pro Bowler exhibited a similar game that the Bears quarterback possessed. Not bad.

Well, now another prominent expert has thrown his hat in the ring. Andy Benoit of the MMQB is noted for his heavy tape study. He’s examined Trubisky extensively from all his starts last season. After careful examination, he sees a different QB the second-year man emulates. One that may irritate or excite Bears fans depending on perspective.

Mitch Trubisky could be an upgraded Kirk Cousins
What happens when the name Kirk Cousins is brought up to NFL fans? A fierce fight breaks out, that’s what. No, not literally but more on social media and comments sections. There are two camps. One who believes Cousins is a legit starter in the league among the best and others who feel he’s overrated and a system guy. So it must’ve created a small firestorm when Benoit compared Trubisky to him.

“FOR WHAT HE CAN BE: TRUBISKY HAS A STRONG ENOUGH ARM, BUT HE’S NOT BRETT FAVRE. HE’S A GOOD ATHLETE, BUT HE’S NOT MICHAEL VICK. HIS GREATEST ATTRIBUTE IS HIS ABILITY TO THROW ON THE MOVE, BOTH BY DESIGN (ROLLOUTS, BOOTLEGS) AND IMPROVISATION. LIKE MANY MOBILE RIGHTHANDED QBS, HE’S PARTICULARLY PROFICIENT OUTSIDE THE POCKET TO HIS RIGHT.

BUT IN THE NFL, ON-THE-MOVE PASSING CAN ONLY BE AN OFFENSE’S SIDE DISH, NOT THE ENTRÉE. AND SO TRUBISKY’S SUCCESS, LIKE EVERY PRO QB’S, WILL COME DOWN TO HOW WELL HE PLAYS WITHIN THE POCKET. GIVEN HIS GOOD-NOT-GREAT ARM STRENGTH, THIS MEANS HOW WELL HE CAN DEVELOP AS A TIMING AND RHYTHM PASSER. THINK OF TRUBISKY AS A POTENTIALLY BETTER VERSION OF KIRK COUSINS.”

Cousins has thrown for 4,000 yards each of the past three years. He carried the Washington Redskins to two winning seasons and a playoff berth in that span. He also soundly beat the Bears both times they met. At the same time, he’s constantly come up short in big games. He managed just 18 points in his playoff debut against Green Bay and held a mere 8-14 record against the NFC East upon leaving in free agency this year.

So both the praise and criticisms are fair.
The question is hand is what exactly is a “better” Cousins? If this means Trubisky will throw for 4,000 yards every year AND perform at a higher level against the division, then that should be what Bears fans want. Nobody ever said he had to be Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers. What was desired is a capable quarterback who can deliver some victories himself when the team isn’t quite up to the task. That’s what franchise quarterbacks do.

Cousins isn’t perfect but the Minnesota Vikings shelled out $24 million a year to get him. He’s good and they feel he can direct them to a championship. That’s what Bears fans should focus on with this comparison.

Wow, this is an especially terrible comparison. Kirk Cousins is a weak armed passer who has to beat you by diagnosing coverages almost immediately and getting rid of the ball ASAP. Otherwise, his lame duck throws go for easy int’s. Cousins has to try to beat you despite his physical limitations. Cousins and Trubisky are no where comparable.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wow, this is an especially terrible comparison. Kirk Cousins is a weak armed passer who has to beat you by diagnosing coverages almost immediately and getting rid of the ball ASAP. Otherwise, his lame duck throws go for easy int’s. Cousins has to try to beat you despite his physical limitations. Cousins and Trubisky are no where comparable.

So will the Vikings be disappointed with their massive expenditure?

I think he can get them close to the promised land but just close. Aboot like what happened last season.

Sammich

Liked Posts:
I would say Ryan Tannehill.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So will the Vikings be disappointed with their massive expenditure?

I think he can get them close to the promised land but just close. Aboot like what happened last season.

I'm sure anything less than a SB appearance in Cousins' stay with the Vikings will be viewed as a failure.